Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

'Winter Nights' @ Canary Wharf......

WereBo

Just across the Thames from me is 'The Docklands', the UK's new(ish) financial centre.  Usually it's very sterile-looking despite all the modern architecture etc. but for this last week they held a 'Winter Lights' festival, with light-shows scattered around the area.  I made the big mistake of visiting it last night (Saturday) as it was soooo crowded, I must've been rammed at least a dozen times by prams/cycles/scooters/whatever, my legs were black and blue this morning.  I was very good and didn't start biting people, though I did growl and snarl at 'em a lot towards the end.

All the shots are hand-held, I took my monopod but the 1 time I tried using it, some bozo kicked it as he jostled me out of his way......  I gave up with it after that as it was too tempting to hit someone with it......

32930239058_f273956174_b.jpg

31864365267_e5b06b4e02_b.jpg

This was very cleverly created, computer-controlled jets of water pulsing to create words......

31864353447_21a2ac53a7_b.jpg

45890645735_d91aee20f3_b.jpg

I gave up after about 90 minutes, I was freezing cold and extremely 'bored' of zombie-brained sightseers so I went home for a hot mug o' tea....

Thank you folks, there were several exhibits I didn't get to see as the maps provided weren't too brilliant, plus diminishing patience was taking it's toll - That's why I don't go up to London nowadays, I get irresistible urges to bite idiots...... 

@ Ryewolf - The 'Festival of Light' is usually a Hindu festival also called 'Diwali', often very colourful and musical.  There used to be a festival in the Greenwich Maritime-Museum grounds, but it's been missing for the last couple o' years

Some more shots from Docklands (A.K.A. Isle of Dogs', Henry VIII used to keep his hunting-dogs kennelled there - This is the 'wet words' landing......

46806131311_c6f948ebef_b.jpg

32930193878_2e8b00cb51_b.jpg

31864301967_59ff954266_b.jpg

32930158428_df6319ee66_b.jpg

Some peace and quiet back in Greenwich......  I was a bit disappointed  when I got back to Greenwich as the Cutty Sark is usually lit up like an xmas-tree, but the lights were off this time, II assume because of some work being done on it.  This Nikon saved the day though, it captured what I couldn't see at the time.....

46753421422_c597a57400_b.jpg

8 hours ago, WereBo said:

The 'Festival of Light' is usually a Hindu festival also called 'Diwali'

Yes thanks I did know about that, this is more like the one you visited, a quick Google revealed it was called Light Up Lancaster.

Very nice and interesting set to look at WereBo, well done you for getting out there and trying despite the number of people who hindered the process.

Love the colour of the fountain in the second set, and the light reflections in the water in the second shot, and it is a very long time since I saw the Cutty Sark!

I did try taking a video-clip of the waterfall and fountain, but I was shivering with cold too much, even the camera's VR couldn't stop all of it

I've promised myself to do a Cutty Sark trip when the weather warms up a bit and the light's better for longer.  It's only a mile or so down-river from me, so watch this space......

Great set!

Very nostalgic for me as I spent all my pre marital life around that general area. In fact for years I rowed on the Thames probably not more than a quarter mile from The Cutty Sark. She didn't look like this then!

Correction.....just had a look a Google Earth.  Our Club House was a retired wartime landing barge which was moored no more than a hundred yards from The Cutty Sark. 

The conservators have done a wonderful job of restoring the old girl, I don't know if she could be made seaworthy or not but I'd dearly love to seethe Cutty Sark sailing with t'other boats at the Greenwich Tall Ships Regatta.

Archived