Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

búðakirkja

loki

búðakirkja, a reconstruction of a historic church on the snæfellsnes peninsula.  traditionally a lot of the churches in iceland were black, they painted them in the same tar that they painted the boats with to help the buildings withstand the crazy icelandic weather.

48861436771_5793c895bd_c.jpg

A great photograph Loki,......it is good to see something a little different.

That little Church looks very similar ,to what are known here as.....Tin-Tabernacles....here in the UK and wherever they were exported to, in kit form.

They were designed and manufactured in the UK during the 19th Century or Victorian times. One of the very earliest of portable building in kit form, each kit of parts could be erected in a variety of ways, ....porch and door at either end or on the side for instance, the same went for the placing of windows, and even the cast-iron heating stove.

A good number were exported to almost anywhere in the then, British Empire.....they are worth Googling.

FUJI 

I've been looking at this and wondering why I find it appealing.  I think it is the stark simplicity against such a rugged background.  Definitely one for the archives.  It's been well captured as well.

Facinating Fuj.  I did google these.  Didn't know they had their own niche in history.  Interesting that here are several variants (the odd steeple and belfry here and there etc.) although whether this is as a result of later development of some buildings, isn't clear.  

On 23/02/2020 at 03:43, FUJI said:

A great photograph Loki,......it is good to see something a little different.

That little Church looks very similar ,to what are known here as.....Tin-Tabernacles....here in the UK and wherever they were exported to, in kit form.

They were designed and manufactured in the UK during the 19th Century or Victorian times. One of the very earliest of portable building in kit form, each kit of parts could be erected in a variety of ways, ....porch and door at either end or on the side for instance, the same went for the placing of windows, and even the cast-iron heating stove.

A good number were exported to almost anywhere in the then, British Empire.....they are worth Googling.

FUJI 

thanks fuji.  i had to look up the tin tabernacles.  some pretty cool buildings.  this one was definitely wood and black tar, but it does look very similar.

On 23/02/2020 at 05:03, Clicker said:

I really like images that are almost monochromatic  in appearance... and what a great  pearly oyster sky and  mountainous backdrop to this stark little building ... 

thanks clicker.  i'm a fan of shots that are naturally nearly b&w too.  i shot this early on during the trip but the sky didn't cooperate so i had to shoot from the other side.  it was a decent photo, but not what i was looking for.  luckily the church is close to the airport so i shot it again two nights before i left.  the mountains made a big difference.

On 23/02/2020 at 05:47, Hatter said:

I love the "big sky".

no, the big sky is in montana.    thanks hatter.

22 hours ago, johntwo said:

I've been looking at this and wondering why I find it appealing.  I think it is the stark simplicity against such a rugged background.  Definitely one for the archives.  It's been well captured as well.

Facinating Fuj.  I did google these.  Didn't know they had their own niche in history.  Interesting that here are several variants (the odd steeple and belfry here and there etc.) although whether this is as a result of later development of some buildings, isn't clear.  

thanks johntwo.  if you want stark and simplistic and rugged then iceland is definitely at the top of the list.

15 hours ago, Kobione said:

Nice one Loki, I really like the sky and mountains in the background too.

thanks kobione.  me too, i was glad i could get the shot looking towards the mountains.

On 24/02/2020 at 14:17, Clicker said:

What a difference 10 days makes and ... the opposite point of view ...

it made a huge difference.  i was really happy to get the shot i wanted the second time around.

15 hours ago, Denis said:

I cant add anything else that has not already been said...  but thanks for sharing this :)

thanks denis.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived