Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Berries and the back gate ...

This is the first image I’ve taken with my new wide angle macro Laowa 15mm:f/4 lens  ..  struggling a bit with the  focus I must admit as I’m having some issues with my vision . I am hoping I will get the hang of it and get better with practise…  I may need some lessons from Paul  though  … 😉

Thanks for the comments and observations Vanguard and Denis … appreciate them .

• Like 1

Funnily enough Polly, I think the first photo I took with the lens was of berries!

It's a niche lens and will take some getting used too.

It will sharpen and soften in equal amounts in post processing though (if you don't mind the edit).

1096887707_DSCF0127ed1sberriesgatelaowalens.jpg.e2fff4ab39682e085a7a5c32200111ba.jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 1

Aw thank you Paul ... I am trying to get  a better focus   pre processing  and finding it a bit hard as my close up vision  has been a  bit iffy lately and looking through the viewfinder  has given me a few problems  lately . I 'm not sure if it's the new lenses I had replaced  with the cataract  ops I had two years ago ... it  was fine  at first for the first 10-12 months but getting to see anyone at the eye clinic looks like  a very long waiting list   since the Pandemic lockdowns  ...  I do like  the lens though and hope to get the best out of it by the time  spring  comes round ... Yeah ...so any tips from you will be much appreciated Paul  ..Gosh you get really close to the subject don't you ...  worry a bit about scratching the lens ... the lens hood is really hard to get on though ... easy to cross thread  it ...or is it just me ?

How odd we both photographed berries  eh !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Cheryl... thanks for the feedback ... I see you have the Laowa Venus macro  lens  now ... You must be pretty excited to see  what  you can do with it ... Paul  is an obvious one to ask for advice especially where  insects and small bugs are concerned ... I treated myself to the Laowa 15mm f/4 wide macro 1:1 lens for Xmas  so I am  learning as I go  too . I particularly wanted  to be able  to  get the effect that  I wanted  with flowers and plants especially, without having to  do a fair bit of post processing in   photoshop  for    some of the effects  that  I   wanted . I think this lens will help me to do that ... This is my very first image with that lens, as I said ,  and  I may  have to use a tripod sometimes  I think, where I want  a  sharper  focus   occasionally  on a small part of the image .  This one  is  sooc  with a very slight crop  to get the gate  verticals  right  so I am hopeful I will get some decent results  when I get out into the spring garden ... 🤞

• Like 1

Yeah - getting up to the glass (or as near as you dare) is the name of the game with the 15mm lens. I found I made contact with leaves and things and worried about damaging the coating - so now when I get to play, I don't get quite as close as first tried.

I have to put my camera into AV mode to use this lens effectively and keep the flash off altogether. I haven't tried any with the flash because the filter size is different and I don't have all the rings to change the steps for attaching the flash.

What I found myself doing is finding a possible subject and getting pretty near to it and then with the camera screen open (one or two with the viewfinder) I inched in closer and closer until my main subject felt like it was hitting me in the face!!!

Paul.

25 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah - getting up to the glass (or as near as you dare) is the name of the game with the 15mm lens. I found I made contact with leaves and things and worried about damaging the coating - so now when I get to play, I don't get quite as close as first tried.

Well ... that was one of the first lessons I learned .... thanks to you warning me , I soon found out just how close , close is ... and avoided  the risk of damaging the lens . Yeah I tend to set the aperture  first with this lens  all the time ... I am enjoying the experience  I must say  ...always good to find new challenges .

• Like 1

The other thing I do Polly, is get my focus, and being sure I stay steady and not move, I'll take the same photo at f/4, f/8, f/11 and maybe up to f/22.

One of them will come out better for the given subject, and that's the one I go with.

Paul.