Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Hi from newbie AshWeb

Hi all,

Just been accepted on to the site - seems quite a lively forum.

A bit about me. Used to have a lot of fun with an old Minolta 35mm SLR (mainly in program mode I hate to say) but went off it when film became hard to find and I got fed up being sniggered at by spotty teenagers when asking for film in shops; at that time, digital SLR's were just too expensive to consider.  Recently took the plunge and bought a Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm Nikon lens and 70-300mm Tamron lens as a bundle from Jessops.  Used it in anger for the first time at the weekend at my Son's martial arts contest. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I know it's only a beginners camera but it's generations ahead of my old camera in what it'll do; I'm going to have to start with one small area and move on when I've got the hang of that. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to run around an event like that just taking photos.

In terms of subject matter, landscapes when possible, general outdoor scenes and always had an interest in portraits and shots that tell a story. I don't get much time to go off on my own with camera in hand but take it along on family days out and holidays.

So that's me...

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum from a D3000 user!

I'm probably the same sort of user as you describe too, the odd landscape, and whenever I go out for the day, photos of whatever takes my fancy!

Welcome Ash - which Minolta SLR, out of interest? My sister started the trend with the SRT101, I followed suit with my first SLR, the SRT100x, and then graduated to the XD7, which is still a fantastic camera, even if it uses hard-to-get film. (Some emulsions can only be replicated - approximately - using software, e.g. the DxO film pack; medium-to-large format film has not been replaced by digital, as the sensor cost would be prohibitively expensive, to achieve the same effects using equivalent focal length lenses.)

Wow, what a welcome! Thanks everyone, looks like I have some replies to make:

Chris -It was / is ( I still have it) a Minolta Dynax 500SI. Also had an OK Tamron lens, odd size like 12-55, and an absolutely brilliant Sigma 50-300mm (I think) APO lens with macro capability which was definitely my 'go-to' lens due to being so flexible; also had the detachable hot shoe flash for bouncing the flash off ceilings etc - handy for portraits.  As I said, I had a lot of fun and use from these and all still useable with a film and batteries which is the sad part really - it was just obsoleted by the new technology and none of it is compatible with my new camera.

Fuji - If you're in Kenilworth, I'm not too far from you at all

Korky - I'll try to get some pics up from the weekend once I can get them down to 300K limit, currently about 6MB each in JPEG format

Wow, what a welcome! Thanks everyone, looks like I have some replies to make:

Chris -It was / is ( I still have it) a Minolta Dynax 500SI. Also had an OK Tamron lens, odd size like 12-55, and an absolutely brilliant Sigma 50-300mm (I think) APO lens with macro capability which was definitely my 'go-to' lens due to being so flexible; also had the detachable hot shoe flash for bouncing the flash off ceilings etc - handy for portraits.  As I said, I had a lot of fun and use from these and all still useable with a film and batteries which is the sad part really - it was just obsoleted by the new technology and none of it is compatible with my new camera.

Fuji - If you're in Kenilworth, I'm not too far from you at all

Korky - I'll try to get some pics up from the weekend once I can get them down to 300K limit, currently about 6MB each in JPEG format

You can still get film, you know! The disadvantage is the cost of each shot, of course, but BP (our resident ex-retail pro) set us a challenge once to shoot 36 pictures with our digital cameras, as if they had a roll of film in. It was a VERY useful exercise in self-discipline!

My 'go to' lens was the Tamron 28-70, a very useful high quality general purpose lens (still made, I believe?). I also had a fixed 135mm Rokkor MD, and a 1.4x teleconverter, so I had most bases covered. It's a great shame that Minolta got out of cameras, but their legacy lives on (sort of) with Sony.