Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Bunion Surgery.

JohnP

I have been suffering from bunions for several years, I saw a podiatrist on Friday and I have been told I need surgery, he told me that I need to have my big toe joint fused. Have any of you folks had this done, if so was the surgery a success, the recovery time sounds horrendous, it could take a year. As I have a bunion in both my big toes I will need them both done, the right one is by far the worst so I will leave the left one be for the time being. I really don't know whether to go ahead or just go on suffering. I believe surgery to remove the bunion and straighten the toe can be carried out without fusing the joint but there is a good chance it will return in time. If anyone as gone through this surgery please let me know how you got on.

Hi, John,

My good lady had both done at the same time, because her and the surgeons rationalisation, only one period of recovery would be experienced..... this made sense, because, recovery from one means pretty well the same recovery period and experiences.

yes! Like all foot/leg surgery it dies cause pain, but modern drugs and tea=eagmdnts keep it to a minimum....Yes! You will be off your feet for 3 months, but you would with one done anyway.

the ironic thing in our case was....that after looking after my wife for three or more months, I fell on my sons stairs and broke both legs....so the tables were turned....I was the one requiring care.

Our 15 year old granddaughter has a genetic problem, that twists her skeleton and joints.... she recovered from major spinal surgery less than a year ago....she is currently in her final month if recovery from her lates foot/ankle surgery....very similar to bunion problems..... She returned to school two weeks ago, and has the cast off next Wednesday.

Bite the bullet and get them done, especially if you are in real discomfort currently.

But always consult those who know first....

FUJI

• Like 1

Thanks FUJI.  My problem is I live alone so I coudn't have both done at the same time, I will have to look after myself with the only help coming from a friend. I will be able to get around using crutches, I wouldn't be able to do that if I couldn't put any weight on one foot. I will find it bad enough coping alone most of the time with one foot out of use.

I've no experience of this at all, John, so all I can do is wish you the very best once you've made your decision. And....

Even though your TIPF friends can't help physically, there's always a lot of moral support to be had on the forum.

Korky

• Like 1

RI’ll second that Korks ... not being mobile is the most frustrating thing and can be pretty depressing when it lasts for more than a few weeks ... it colours every aspect of one’s life and changes your decision making processes a great deal..... simple things like deciding to have a cuppa, can  become an event of major proportions when you realise that carrying  something as simple  as a cup of tea whilst on crutches is really almost  impossible without the use of some kind of trolley or walker . I spent nearly 6 months on crutches this year following a  medial knee ligament tear and though I could drive ok , walking any distance at all was a real problem, plus the subsequent lack of the usual exercise meant  I gained weight ... which doesn’t help if you’re on crutches .... it’s a tough call John but if you prepare well for the  recuperation the first time , the second time will no doubt be a bit easier just because you’ll have learned a few tricks to cope the first time round ... If you live alone it really will be impossible to have both done at the same time though Fooj is right that it’s a great idea to do it all at once if you have help ..

. I had carpel tunnel operations on  both hands at the same time, at my request , but without a husband who did everything for me for three months it would have been absolutely impossible for me to have managed.  On a positive note .... it will improve your quality of life so much when you get through it all that it has to be considered ... as I say ... preparation  and putting in place  things that will take account of the new ways in which you will have  to do things before hand  will be a huge help ...  moving furniture to make life easier helps for instance ,.... simple things like having the necessary kitchen utensils that you use mostly all in the same cupboard instead of in different ones to save those few steps back and forth . If you can find some crutches to use before hand... it will help you anticipate just how much you need to adjust things to make life easier . I wish you the best for this John ....and as Korks said ... we will certainly be here with any moral support you need ... and you can  raid your archives to keep us going with your poics from the past .... ?

I have had plenty of experience using crutches in the past, I was 19 at the time and living with my grandparents so things were different then, I didn't have to worry about getting my own food, doing housework and going shopping etc. I had a motorcycle accident caused by a lorry driver wanting my side of the road, I suffered multiple fractures with bones through the skin. The leg is 1" short as a result, I was in plaster for 7 months. It didn't end there I had 5 further operations over the next 10 years. I have had many bad things happen to me in my life, the three worse things being losing my sister to polio in 1953 when I was seven, losing my mother the day after my 12th birthday in 1958 and my brother committing suicide in 2005.There is more but I'll stop at that. At the moment I can't see how I could manage if I had surgery, it will need lots of thinking about first. BTW... I am not looking for sympathy, I thought I would just mention a few things.

I think you are right John to think long and hard about surgery ... it's a different matter if you have someone else with you ie a friend or relative  who can help .  Is there any pain management that  would help to ease the pain without surgery or  is that likely to involve painkillers as that can become a problem too if they are opioids and addictive .... I suppose shopping  can be helped with online   groceries and deliveries .... Presumably  you will be unable to drive for a while too...  if it were  me and I lived alone ... I would also be asking  the question about what  the success rates are  of having the operation as I do know a friend who had it done  a number of years ago  and  she had  complications  and it was worse ... so it's a decision  not to be taken lightly , at least without considering all of the implications ...Like I said before ... just walking with crutches can be managed well with practise... It's  doing all the other things  that we take for granted when  we have our hands free  that can be  taxing ... You seem to have had your share of hospitals following your accident  and  some sadness to cope with in your childhood and  you seem a very grounded independent  person  so I  can understand the importance of making the correct call on this ... I certainly think it's a good idea to talk about it to other people   to get a sounding board and  help see all the different perspectives on how the pros and cons stack up John ..... I certainly wish you all the best whatever decision  you decide suits you the most :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Like 2

Have not experienced that John, but I have a friend who had a double bunionectomy and she recovered very well and fairly quickly too. I do know what it is like being limited in capabilities, can be frustrating  and bothersome, maybe some help for you would be good to help in your recovery. Good luck!!

• Like 1