Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

I must do better next time.

JohnP

I took loads of shots of these Ants and I'm diappointed with all of them, I think they are a type of Wood Ant (I will have to check), they were a heaving mass about two feet across building a nest. They were extremely hard to get a focus on they were moving so fast. It's not a great shot so I'm just posting it out of interest really.

post-19-0-86284700-1396966967.jpg

If I had just a pound for every time I've been disappointed with a shot!

It's all part of the game I'm afraid.

Korky

My old eyes just couldn't keep up with them... damn good fun trying though... :rofl: I have um next time... :yes

Chris... I can't understand why I couldn't get a decent shot, I took 48 in all. Settings were typically around .. f16.. 160th.. Ringflash. I tried spot focus and pattern focus (9 focus pointing points) and none of the shots were sharp. I don't usually have problems like this.

That really makes me shudder John.

I have stood in a flipping ants nest and the little blighters bite like mad....Ashton, my Grandson is always happy to come out bug hunting but if he sees ants he goes into a panic after me and him got covered in the damn things a few summers ago....

John - have a look at this page - may of use to us all.

LINK

Paul.

Thank you Paul... I've bookmarked this. I thought there was something wrong with the camera, it seems that photography Ants is far more difficult than I thought.

I think you did well to get them in focus at all.....................................but talking of Ants; Reminded me of a box of b/w prints I had stored away from the early '70s. I had a Canon TLb at the time, before the days of electronic cameras, with a 50mm Prime lens. At the time I don't think I'd even heard of Macro, but what I did have was a bellows extension fitted between the lens and the body. This, dependent on the amount of extension, gave enormous magnification and very little depth of field.

Because the magnification was so great, it was very difficult to pick up your subject in the viewfinder. Also, as focusing with the focus ring was impossible you had to focus by moving the camera in and out. Aperture was wide open because of the bellows and speed was guesswork. Probably about 1 in 20 would be any good, but I had a lot of fun. 

post-850-0-36496100-1397084811.jpg

By the way, this is a scan, uncropped but I must admit I did hit the sharpen button in Photoshop.

Ants are indeed, great photographic subjects, difficult to capture because of their size and speed, the only time In wish I had a more powerful macro set up is when shooting them.

I do use my three extension tubes sometimes, but it ain't easy, hand heldn fast moving subjects.......I dislike intensely the macro shooters who freeze or cool their subjects first, to slow them down or to kill them.

I have seen incredibly detailed ant portraits on the doe is list forum, the lens of choice being the Canon MPE3 ? .....A beast of a lens that costs an arm and a leg and only works on Canon cameras as far as I know?

We have two species of ant in our ( tiny) long established Victorian gardens.......Black non biting black Wood Ants, the ones that might raid a pantry.

But, in the front garden we have long established nests of the biting, acid spraying Red Ant, not good to get in your socks or up a sleeve whilst gardening.......my good lady hates them, but I say leave well alone, they were here before us.

At the rear of the house, in an English Heritage Scheduled area, there are huge Ant Hills like the ones that were once common in fields before modern farming eradicated them, they are amazing structures, I must get permission to go in with my camera one day, the land is rented by a Smallholder for a flock of a Rare Sheep.

FUJI

Archived