Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

WINGS OVER THE WATER

FUJI

Techie question with this post of....

Black Headed  Gulls in a feeding frenzy at our local pool..../ a mono study.

My original JPEG is 39 .5 mb..... too large to post..... you all know that I have a numbers problem... is what ~I’ve reduced it to acceptable... or can I increase the upload dimensions.?

when I posted from my main pic, I had a formulae that worked.... my iPad Pro... is completely different...

I use the .......IMAGE SIZE ......app to resize now.... but which figures for best results are puzzling me...

I include a screen-shot of what the app looks like, and my reduction for this photograph...

Guidance required please.

Cheers !

FUJI

3A2DE026-E371-45B2-930A-42E712F501D9.jpeg

B02EF699-508D-4E6E-80DB-CABFF86E0C7A.jpeg

Fuji,
As I understand it photographs consist of two elements that dictate their size­ - their physical size ie:  6x4", 6000x4000 pixels and the density of pixels that go to make up that image, Pixels per inch, (ppi).
Cameras that shoot at 10 mega pixels will produce an image that is smaller than a camera that shoots at 24 mega pixels.  This is, of course, within the bounds of the physical size of the sensor in the camera.
(See image)

sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg-100056836-orig.png

Now the strange thing is, the greater the pixel count, the smaller the pixels within that frame size, giving a denser pixel count which gives greater detail and the objects within the frame will appear further away.
Now, the larger the pixel size within that frame the less dense the pixel count with a loss of detail and the objects within the frame will appear closer.

When reducing the size of an image for the Internet, you are going to lose detail - the question is how much.  
If you reduce the physical size of the image, (eg 6000x4000 pixels into 1024x768 pixels), what you are doing is to ask the software to use an algorithm to divide all the different coloured pixels, (and monotone is a colour), by whatever factor and squeeze them into a reduced frame size, resulting in larger pixels, which will produce a very 'blocky' image, the detail of which will be hard to recover.

However, if you reduce the density of the pixels within that frame size, you will still lose detail, but there will be a much greater pixel count with which to make that reduction, making an acceptable recovery easier.

crop 1.jpg

crop 2.jpg

Now, what you have to decide/find out is which way  the iPad saves/reduces an image and whether or not you can influence that in the settings.

Hope this helps.

A huge thank you Fogey.... .... sadly the chart and figures scramble my stupid, no maths brain even more.... ask me to paint a watercolour portrait.... no problem.... .

My discalculia is a damn nuisance....... I can look at figures and calculations but can’t see.....

If you look at the bottom left of my screenshot... you will see the original...to large to post picture size...... on the right you will see what I reduced it to.... far too small.

All I need are the max figures, to give me best results on TIPF.

Strangely, my other forum, seems to be able to process any image I throw at it.......

I frustrate so many math savvy friends.... they get it but I don’t.... ..... very strange....

FUJI

I am in the same boat as you Cyril, for I too have been diagnosed as having Dyscalculia . A very real and substantial problem that dictated the life I have lead.

I had trained to be a butcher and all was well for three years until the shop manager took me off of just cutting meat (I had trained as a Pork butcher) and put me in the main shop and told me to serve customers. I just couldnt work out money or how much change to give so he sacked me. At eighteen I drove my first non HGV Lorry until I was 21, and then took my Class 1 Artic licence staying on the road and away from mathematical work of any description.

In photography I dont understand so much when it comes to stopping up or down, and just about have a small grasp of the triangle of shutter, ISO and Aperture and envy those who can work out beforehand of what is needed to take a perfect exposure.

But I have some University educated friends who are very clever with mathematics and who can work out the square root of a jamjar, but cant actually get the lid off of it :)

Thanks Denis..... good to learn that aim not the only sufferer.... it is very difficult to explain.... so many number savvy folk including University Math proff’s have said that....Anyone...can do math if trained properly....

I could challenge every one of them to paint a portrait....to make a bay window.....or a panelled door.... 

Hiw did I manage carpentry and joinery without math ?..... I used a set of dividers, and rods.... all very Medieval but it worked.... I can manage basic math in paper.... but the simplest sum mentally is a complete no-no.... my brain turns to mush....

FUJI

52 minutes ago, FUJI said:

I can manage basic math in paper.... but the simplest sum mentally is a complete no-no.... my brain turns to mush....

FUJI

Exactly my experience too, another reason I stopped played darts at the pub, I could never do the scores when it was my turn. That led to derision and snarky comments from the other players and I would get embarrassed and leave. I got a calculator to work out my mileage and fuel returns when I was on the road :)

As a callow yoof my pals used to score for me .... snooker and billiards too.... can never fathom tennis, table tennis or squash etc out.....Can’t hold a score in my head if playing a game.... ..

Always wore a calculator watch whilst serving customers... 

Amazingly I have the mist incredible long-term memory.... have the most amazing me real dreams in full colour and stereo.... ....I can paint a glass bottle without blinking....

OK! folks .... so what are the two dimension numbers I require to get the very higest reproduction of my work on TIPF please?

FUJI

DCDA120C-F3D9-4595-85FC-CE06A3D90051.jpeg

Don't overthink the image sizes. 

Personally for websharing I just resize the image so the longest size is 1000px.  Different sites like different dimensions, I.e. Facebook  instagram etc....but I don't like faffing. So I go for 1000px for everything. This will give an image that views big enough but with a small enoughfile size to keep everyone happy.

P.s. Dont confuse file size with image size either. 😉

Archived