Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

an owl with ears

loki

not sure if it's a short eared owl or a long eared owl cause i don't know my owls so it's an owl with ears.  found at a local wildlife reserve.  everything in the state except essentials shuts down tomorrow until mid may and it's raining today so this was my last trip until fall.  by the time we reopen in mid may the swarms of horseflies will be out.

49688378073_0f965e1c98_o.jpg

Hard to be sure as I don't have a clear size, but it doesn't look big enough of either long-eared or short-eared (both body length about 15inch).

From a quick scan of my American bird book, my best guess is an Eastern Screech Owl (6 ½ - 10 inch).

On 23/03/2020 at 09:55, Clicker said:

I love owls Loki...   He looks a bit irritated as if he’s just been woken up from a deep sleep ! Great catch ...and isn’t he well camouflaged?

thanks clicker.  he's probably upset that he's stuck indoors on lockdown instead of chasing the field mice.  i was amazed at how well he was camouflaged.  but oddly enough that's how i spotted him.  there's usually a black hole in the side of the box where there was suddenly what seemed to be solid wood.  on second glance i saw the owl.  

On 23/03/2020 at 10:01, JamesT said:

Hard to be sure as I don't have a clear size, but it doesn't look big enough of either long-eared or short-eared (both body length about 15inch).

From a quick scan of my American bird book, my best guess is an Eastern Screech Owl (6 ½ - 10 inch).

thanks james.  of course i have to go and find the one owl that isn't named after it's ears.  stupid nomenclature.  

15 hours ago, Kobione said:

I love owls too Loki - he does look a bit half asleep, and don't his colours fit perfectly to the background! Nice one.

thanks kobione.  he was pretty well asleep.  he didn't mind me too much, but he'd casually lift one eyelid a cm or so when a car passed.

15 hours ago, Denis said:

How close were you to have taken this loki?

Love the way he/she sits snug in there keeping an eye out, and the body warm.

more than 6 feet.  social distancing you know...  i was probably 75 ft away.  used the 200-600mm and had the camera set to cropped sensor mode.  and then i cropped a bit more in lr.  thanks denis.

Archived