Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Update on Suggestions for rejuvenating the Forum JANUARY 2023

Clicker

9 hours ago, Clicker said:

Oh .... I didn't know that ...   Better investigate that ...  Maybe Phil can see why ... I'll  have a look too ....

Maybe my email address needs updating. How can I check? Couldn’t find it in my account?

28 minutes ago, JohnP said:

Cheryl... you need to go to Account Settings!

Oh thanks, JohnP. Found it. It’s correct. Must be something else going wrong that I didn’t receive the newsletter. I’ve never received a TIPF newsletter in the years I’ve been a member actually. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A number of things here.

Denis, it's so good to hear from you - I've really missed your input into the forum.  So sorry to hear of your loss of Mojo regarding your photography - something that happens to all of us from time to time.  Perhaps reaching out to other people with the same problem and airing what's troubling you, (on the forum), would help.

I've read with interest the member's views on membership, the dilution of the personal touch this forum has, rightly, gained the reputation for, and the need for fresh faces.

While this is primarily a photographic forum, there is an element of social media, I feel, that the members could enjoy - perhaps that is something the management could pursue - maybe a 'hot seat' where somebody volunteers to be grilled by members on their outlook on life, keeping religion and politics aside, that would give a greater insight to their personality, photographic aspirations etc.  Any question deemed too sensitive can be ignored!!  Just a thought as I have seen this on other forums followed with great interest.

Maybe a topical competition/challenge.  I have also seen a knock-out competition that would take 2-3 weeks to complete run maybe three times a year  that has gone down very well  in the past..

I have also seen, with some trepidation, mention of an affiliation with a social media site such as facebook.  The last forum I was on adopted this approach and it proved to be the death knell of the forum, as members posted to Facebook in the hope of immediate gratification, rather than post to the forum direct.

Maybe an association to a forum such as You Pic might be advantageous, as that deals soley with photography.  Just bouncing thoughts about........

Edited to add.  Maybe a section for beginners to post to.  It seems to me that a 'photo newbie' might be put off with the quality of photography we see on the forum, deterring them from joining as not good enough.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input Fogey ... I am discussing  resurrecting a facebook page with  people at the moment as I know we had a page   that was used  a long time ago . I am  on the fence with this one as I  do not use Facebook and have a few nagging worries about it and  am not sufficiently  knowledgeable about  it to  make an informed opinion  yet . I have been approached by two  members who have suggested   using the platform to help boost the numbers of  members  for TIPF and also volunteering to run it . My thanks to those who have made the suggestion . I have had a few members  saying  similar things to you Fogey, about  it having a detrimental effect on a site that they  used once they had a facebook page running along side . Any  input from members on this subject would be appreciated  Guys ....

• Like 1

I have to agree with Jeff about Facebook.  In theory it sounds a good idea to use a Facebook group to publicise the forum and attract new members but in practice, the Facebook group will draw traffic AWAY from the forum.

A better idea may be to just do something like posting the POTW with a link to the forum and ask members who use FB to share it.

• Like 3

I was hoping that you would respond Hatter as I know   you have some experience of this happening  on a site  you were on before ... I have no experience of facebook other than mostly negative stuff told to me by  friends and extended family  so I  am trying to find out from people as much as I can ... It know we used to have a facebook page but that was  linked to Phil's ( Forum owner ) account which  he has  closed  now ( or does not use anymore )  I really appreciate  the interest shown by some of our members in  coming up with suggestions  to  improve the footfall and number of members  as although we are not looking to have  a huge number of new members that may  alter the dynamics of this community, we do need a steady influx of new blood to keep us all on our toes and   bring new  talent and diversity  onto the Forum. 

• Like 1

The timing for a Facebook group may be perfect. as Facebook moves more towards their idea of regulated social media it makes it harder for photography groups I think the time is ripe for forums make a comeback.

I belong to 16 Facebook groups 4 are temporary memberships while lens shopping. 2 are Linux groups the rest mostly photo sharing.

I use to run jap car forum years ago and we had the same issue with do we or don’t we have a Facebook group as well. As soon as people started using the Facebook group the forum started to die, basically it was easier and more convenient to use than the forum, but along came the idiots and trolls to cause trouble. When the forum came up for renewal we just folded it, and the Facebook group carried on. Personally I think the forum is better.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fogey said:

That's exactly my expreience, Van - facebook, twitter and the like are a death knell for dedicated forums.

A few years ago I would have agreed but in the past couple years Facebook has become more and more difficult for photography almost daily. Their AI image and text censoring is a disaster. I could go on but I will leave it at that for now 🤠

• 11 months later...

I've only just seen this thread... which is kind of ironic (I think!), based on the fact it's all about increasing traffic on the forum, and the last post on it was nearly a year ago.

I really like this forum, but I'm definitely guilty of not posting as much as I should. I'll try & be more active in future. It feels to me like we need a few more members, it seems like there are only a handful of people who post & comment regularly. I'd definitely be up for an away day somewhere, it would be great to meet a few of you!

I really like @Fogey's idea about putting someone in the hot seat for a grilling each month, too. I'm happy to go in the hot seat if anyone fancies asking me questions!

• Like 1