Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Help photographing old bikes

GrahamNfk

For years I've tried to make interesting images involving my bikes, and for years I've failed to create anything remotely interesting. It seems that while I can appreciate a good photograph, I've never developed the 'eye' to create one myself. So it's probably high-time I asked for help and advice.

My efforts so far include these:

100_1237.JPG

Wafting the lanes on a BSA Light Tourist

IMAG0172.JPG

Royal Sunbeam stopped for a rest

IMAG0173.JPG

Ditto, really!

IMGP2518.JPG

Looking a Lucas in the eye

p4010406.JPG

A bunch of bikes

shot_1303499381916.JPG

A BSA Light Tourist leaning against one of the few original apple trees in the former Gaymers orchard

SANY0167.JPG

Dull, just really dull.

Comments and suggestions really welcomed. I'd love to end 2014 with a really splendid portfolio of bike pictures, so I will act upon any constructive advice offered. I suspect it's a change of thought process that's required.

Cameras used were entirely random from pocket Kodaks to a borrowed Oly E-PL1 and a mobile phone with wonky lens.

Definitely the lamp and the Bicycle/signpost combos work for me.

I tried the multi cycle shot outside a hotel in Holland last year and also a line up of bicycles in Cambridge.  Frames and handlebars shot from a lower prospective seem to work better. So, if anything Graham try getting a tad lower when shooting the bikes :)

One problem with something like a bike is that they are extremely thin for their length which can make them seem very 2D.

Using another prop such as a tree or signpost can add that little extra depth needed to stop it looking flat, just as you have done with the apple tree, That is the pick of the crop (sorry) for me.

Another point, the direct side-on shot is good for a record or sales shot where you need the details, but as a picture with interest it tends to fall a bit flat. 

The detail shot of the lamp works well by the way.

4, 5 and 6 are fine, but I would like a little human interaction possibly dressed for the period/age of bike. Understandably difficult but I do think it would add interest, which brings me to the sign post picture- good idea but poorly composed and I too think you should have shot lower down aiming up as currently the sign tends to be the dominant item. 

But - all interesting and worth pursuing and I would suggest you consider a 'blog' with info on each bike? 

1. I like, but think it would be better if it faded to blur before the eye leaves the picture, either that or sharp all through - it's neither one or the other.

2. Nearly there I think - as others have said, a lower POV would be even better.

3. Bit of a cliché for me - sorry! 

4. Good potential but a bit cluttered - not easy to see the main subject which is presumably the ancient lamp?

5. Again, nearly there - try cropping most of the rest of the front wheels out, and maybe the saddles too? It would simplify it in my view.

6. Very good. One small thing : could you have included the whole of the front wheel and lost a little background at the top?

7. The dullness is not due to the picture of the bike but where you've placed it; in a different, very contrasting or even surprising setting, it would work very well.

Hope that critique helps. I do really think most of those pictures display care and thought, and have real potential. Keep posting!

I have never tried to take photos of bikes but here's a few thoughts:

1) they are all static, try to introduce some movement e.g. try #1 when going flat out with a slow shutter speed (1/20th?)

2) they are all taken from handle bar level or above - ever fallen off? try a shot from there.

3) many have intrusive backgrounds - try your widest aperture.

I quite like the signpost shot - I don't think it's cliched, but I'm no expert on bikes or photographing them, or riding them or mending punctures.

I just wondered if this image might be more interesting if some additional props were used. Would an old rucksack, a flask, a packed lunch and a road map turn it into a sort of outdoor still life? Or am I just piling on the cliches?

Korky

I quite like the signpost shot - I don't think it's cliched, but I'm no expert on bikes or photographing them, or riding them or mending punctures.

I just wondered if this image might be more interesting if some additional props were used. Would an old rucksack, a flask, a packed lunch and a road map turn it into a sort of outdoor still life? Or am I just piling on the cliches?

Korky

Yes, I think that would add to the historical interest and add lots of colour to the pics. I nearly did that a while ago, but I should expand upon it. This one I can see what I was trying and failing to do.

IMG_20130605_163351.jpg

I always have a Primus bolted to whichever bike I'm out on for the day, and a Brown Betty teapot in the saddlebag at all times. Usually I have a Victorian copper kettle too, but I was travelling light this day and opted for the new-fangled aluminium one. I think a nice picnic set-up with bike forming a backdrop could work well.

Spill the beans! I won't sleep until I know how you did it  :blink:

You're probably too young to remember Instamatic 126 film? It was spooled into a cartridge and you just dropped the cartridge into the camera then sent it off when completed.

Well, this was a B&W Instamatic cartridge with a black card cube taped to the film plane, and a needle used to create a pinhole in the exact centre of the front of the cube. A separate square of card was held over the front with a rubber band. The cartridge was placed on a firm surface, and the card 'shutter' removed for about 30 seconds, then replaced. A pencil was used to wind each frame on. This was one of the better and more usable exposures that resulted!

You're probably too young to remember Instamatic 126 film? It was spooled into a cartridge and you just dropped the cartridge into the camera then sent it off when completed.

:o Yes, yes I am. Definitely, absolutely, yes, far far too young   :sofa:

...and 620, and 127, and all the others, never heard of 'em, no siree...

Back to the question ......How to photograph old bikes......

Might seem too obvious, but wouldn't it be great if you could find costumes for willing models and props from the era a particular bike came from......or......according to what use the bike was put in its day?

FUJI

Back to the question ......How to photograph old bikes......

Might seem too obvious, but wouldn't it be great if you could find costumes for willing models and props from the era a particular bike came from......or......according to what use the bike was put in its day?

FUJI

Yes, but possibly easier said than done. Not impossible, though :) One of the attendees of my annual bike ride always shows up in a 1950s nurses uniform, and looks splendid on her old basket-equipped Raleigh.

...and I look stunnin' in a nurses outfit ;)

But yes, props could well be the answer, both human and otherwise. I think it's going to be a good fun project for the warmer weather :)

my first ever camera was an ilford pixie...my sister got it for me for xmas in 1967...i was still using it in the 80s we have a complete album full of snaps from it, the album is now in my eldest sons possesion, i have no idea why..

Archived