Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The New Birmingham Library

NannyFerret

It's well worth a visit, even if it's just to take pics.
There are two Balcony's running half way around the building which have been made into gardens with seating for you to lounge and relax or take in the view of the city, and to take pics.
We only got to the first balcony as there were so many people waiting for the glass lift and normal lifts which take over from the escalators that  finish at a certain floor.

In the first pic you can see the first balcony and the higher one above and you can see how big the building is from the scale of the people.
We are hoping to go to the higher balcony to see what other Ariel shots that I get get, but we will wait a while and try to go on a weekday when it might not be as packed as it was yesterday.

The inside shots shows just how many books there are housed in the library, as this is only a tiny proportion of the amount housed on each floor.

All shot with my 35mm lens and Nikon D3200 camera.

Below is a selection of the shots that I got.

DSC_0067_zps4e4ab5f7.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsbeb9bc59.jpg

DSC_0056_zps29a8eec6.jpg

DSC_0030_zps7da26e72.jpg

DSC_0028_zps1f967da9.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsce97a026.jpg

DSC_0022_zps2f078393.jpg

DSC_0011_zps8ce02125.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsea88905f.jpg

I was glad to be able to see the new Bull Ring a few years, ago, and I still lived in Brum when they built the Conference Centre and began to revamp Broad Street.

I guess I'll never be able to visit the new Library, but one of my childhood friends was the guy in charge of the whole project, the Chief Librarian there. The "old" Library it replaces was also pretty awesome inside, but looked like sh*t on the outside.

You've done it justice Tina.

Thanks all.

Bugs, there is a bar about a ft away on the ground so maybe that's to stop people from leaning too heavily on the barrier. Mind you, I managed to get both feet squeezed behind it for a better view. 

Fuji, I didn't think I had a technique as I don't usually shoot buildings :hrhr: . I am proud that I hardly ever use anything but manual settings these days, though.
I can't wait to see what I can do from the higher balcony.

Chris, It's a shame that you are so far away. You would be amazed at it.  
I have a couple of shots with the cranes in the back ground. I think  these are the ones working on the second half of New Street Station.

Hi Nannyferret, only seen the library on the local news, i want to go and shoot it now! Birmingham gets bad press but there are lots of interesting buildings and you have captured them well and done them justice. Here is a set i took a few years back now so need to go back!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennyboy/sets/72157622916319716/

Nice job.

A Brilliant set, Denny.

I really enjoyed viewing them.
Do you live far away from Birmingham or the centre.

There is a lot of building going on at the moment, but I think it's going to be really good when it's finished.
I would like to go up on the library balcony with a tripod or Monopod when the nights draw in more so that I can get some shots of the lights in the building etc. Whether we will go or not will be down to how we feel and the cold weather.

About 5 miles or 30-40 mins if a week day, 10 min sunday! those were taken on a Sunday morning before anyone arrived and progressively during the day. The old library was a concrete carbuncle, fortunately they didn't make it listed and did the kind thing and demolished it!

Brum is wrongly maligned. Even when I first lived there (1970s) there were some great places to go, even though the actual city centre back then was a heap of hooey. Now the centre is one of the standout places in Britain, I'd say - from the new Bull Ring, up the pedestrianised New Street to the Town Hall, Science Museum, Chamberlain Square, the new Library, the Rep, the Conference Centre, Broad Street, the Gas Street Basin...

The canals are lovely.
We sometimes take some lunch and flask and sit by the basin to eat it. It makes a change from Coventry.

Today we went to a place called "Eat for less" in Paradise Forum.

John had two thick sandwiches and I had a large filled baguette + two hot drinks and it came to a few pence over £4. Lovely food and a decent place to sit and about half the price of the same in Coventry.

Bostin! Absolutely Bostin!.........Youm grate yow .......ar kid.

No, don't panic, I did my teacher training in Willenhall in ......The Black Country.......so it was easy to convert my flat Warwickshire vowels into broad dialect.........also, over the years travelling the Midlands demonstrating my craft, I reckon I can pinpoint the area of the a West Midlands or Warwickshire a speaker comes from by just listening to their accent.

I must admit to having a sinking feeling as I travel from Kenilworth to Birmingham, the approaches are horrible, but once in the City Centre things improve.......we eat in the Chinese Quarter, where many if the British/Chinese choose to eat.

I did one of my nine month placements in Willenhall, used to walk back and forth between there and my digs in Westfield Road Wolverhampton......I was studying close by there..........Great people.....West Midlanders.

Yeah accents and personalities totally different in different areas of the midlands. Cultural diversity it's called now! Used to be them brummy bleeders!i do miss the old industry that's long gone as i am a qualified engineer and its sad to see no real things being made now.

I have connections to the Black Country, Birmingham etc. too.

My Gran was born in Dudley and when she married, live in Knowle until she died.
My Aunty lived in Shirley and I have cousins around that area and solihull still. I haven't been in touch with them for years though.

We go to the Chinese Quarter when they celebrate the Chinese New year, and the Chinese people make you so welcome and share the festivities as if you were one of them.

I am from the black country not Birmingham, however Birmingham sometimes gets a bad press. It's actually quite a nice city with very good events and facilities etc the canals are full of photographic opportunities

My Black Country friends used to crack me up. Tipton, if you were in Sedgley (about a mile away), was "another planet", while Birmingham (7 miles?) was "round the corner" (or "up the 'oss road").

Mind you, to everyone, Black Country or Brummie alike, Lower Gornal really WAS another planet. Someone said a bus once went there, but no-one saw it come back again. And somewhere in Sandwell a  friend took me to see 'The Lost City', which was a council estate set in a dip with the streets arranged in circles, one within another. There was just one road in and out, and the police apparently never went there. Rumours of in-breeding and god knows what else. We just looked down on it from a hill; I wanted to explore but my friend said "You must be joking!".

I worked in Wednesbury for a year, in the 1980s. There was a chip shop there that served fish and chips that really did taste "just like you remember as a kid". When I mentioned this to the proprietor he said "Ar. We still use the traditional fat not the vegetable oil rubbish that everyone else uses now".

I saw the speedway a couple of times at Cradley Heath. There was still the odd chain-maker there, but probably all gone now.

There was some debate about whether or not Halesowen was actually in the Black Country, but all my friends swore blind that Wolverhampton was NOT. Mind you, you didn't tell the inhabitants that...

The Black Country Museum is an actual must-see for anyone who hasn't been there. On the other hand, if you watched the Poliakoff drama "Dancing On The Edge" early this year, then you already HAVE seen it : the BCM's "Bottle and Glass" pub was used for several scenes.

My Black Country friends used to crack me up. Tipton, if you were in Sedgley (about a mile away), was "another planet", while Birmingham (7 miles?) was "round the corner" (or "up the 'oss road").

Mind you, to everyone, Black Country or Brummie alike, Lower Gornal really WAS another planet. Someone said a bus once went there, but no-one saw it come back again. And somewhere in Sandwell a  friend took me to see 'The Lost City', which was a council estate set in a dip with the streets arranged in circles, one within another. There was just one road in and out, and the police apparently never went there. Rumours of in-breeding and god knows what else. We just looked down on it from a hill; I wanted to explore but my friend said "You must be joking!".

I worked in Wednesbury for a year, in the 1980s. There was a chip shop there that served fish and chips that really did taste "just like you remember as a kid". When I mentioned this to the proprietor he said "Ar. We still use the traditional fat not the vegetable oil rubbish that everyone else uses now".

I saw the speedway a couple of times at Cradley Heath. There was still the odd chain-maker there, but probably all gone now.

There was some debate about whether or not Halesowen was actually in the Black Country, but all my friends swore blind that Wolverhampton was NOT. Mind you, you didn't tell the inhabitants that...

Halesowen and Wolverhampton are not the black country, a saying when i was a kid (politically incorrect warning) about the lost city in Tipton was "if yow live theer, if yow has 2 ears yowm a puff"

The Black Country Museum is an actual must-see for anyone who hasn't been there. On the other hand, if you watched the Poliakoff drama "Dancing On The Edge" early this year, then you already HAVE seen it : the BCM's "Bottle and Glass" pub was used for several scenes.

I've heard that the Black Country Museum is very good. One day we might go.

I have also heard that the Sandwell nature reserve is very good too.

The museum is used for peaky blinders on bbc2 currently on thursday nights www.flickr.com/dennyboy there is a black country photo set. Also i live 500 yards from sandwell valley and it is gorgeous. I walk my dog there all the time. Loads of images on my flickr site, worth a visit

Archived