Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Image resizing...

Denis

How do you resize images? I know how to, but what method do you use?

I use a little program called PIXresizer, but I cant help noticing that my images do not appear as sharp when resized and posted on these forums. I always use the size of 1024 pixels on the longest edge..because I read that was the size they should be...wrong or right??

Is it better to resize in Lightroom, will that make a difference to the image quality?

The new camera takes a lot better image than the D5300, but seeing the few I have posted so far, I think something is letting down the result a tad!

2 hours ago, Denis said:

I think something is letting down the result a tad!

I think it's the forum software itself that's causing the problems, I noticed if I posted the image as a url (linked to an external site) the image in the post was no where near as sharp unless you clicked on it, even uploading an image to the forum has the same effect. It never used to be like this until about 12-14 months or so ago. I post on other forums either by using direct links or uploading to the forum and never have the problem of images not looking as sharp as the original as I do when posting here.....

For landscape images I use 1400 pixels for the longest edge or 1033 pixels for portrait

• Thanks 1

Photoshop has a dedicated image sizing tool (Image/Image size).  In the drop down menu there is an option to re sample the image with several choices one of which is "Bicubic Sharper (Best for Reduction)".  It's the one I always use.  I'm not sure whether Lightroom has the same facility but you would think that ADOBE would use the same module in both Apps.  If it does, you could compare it with what you do at the moment.  However, as Geoff points out, the problem could be the Forum software.  Despite what I have described, I suffer some softening of some images but not all by any means and I have yet to discover why it is only some that are affected.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, johntwo said:

I'm not sure whether Lightroom has the same facility but you would think that ADOBE would use the same module in both Apps. 

John- in LR when exporting/saving you have a drop down box with export location, etc and within that box is:  'Image Sizing' for web use I almost always use 1400px and at 90 ppi below that is 'output sharpening' I set to 'screen' and 'standard'. I find that works well for most websites but you could try the high setting.

Edited by colinb
  • Thanks 1