Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Crow Fishing

I spotted this crow fishing at the weir in Whalley, which was something I didn't expect, it did mange to catch a fish whilst I was photographing, not sure if it's the same bird in all three images though.

crow-3707.jpg

crow-3721.jpg

crow-3730.jpg

Thanks Korky, yes crows are a problem to photograph, they're basically black so if the sun's not hitting them just right they tend to come out as a black splodge with a beak. They also tend to be quite timid so you don't often get the chance to get up close to them.

He seems to have caught his/her fish......this set has been a very interesting one....I had not realised that Crows fish like this.....

I do know that we have one huge Carrion Crow, visiting my bird-feeder....it can fill its beak with sultanas and bread very quickly....it dunks bread in the bird-bath too....probably copying the resident Magpies.

I am always pleased to observe the natural and literal pecking order....all species seem to get their fair share as the day goes on, with very little fighting...all seem to watch, then take turns; a species at a time.

A bit like an African water-hole I guess ?

FUJI

That's something I haven't seen before.  I thought crows lived entirely on carrion.  Three nice shots with plenty of detail in the blacks.  I particularly like the first, mainly because you also have movement in the water.

9 hours ago, ThaiMike said:

Something come out or in from the peak

Thanks Mike, it had just caught a fish. I spotted them catching several fish but wasn't quick enough to catch them.

Cheers Phil, Mike and FUJI

4 hours ago, FUJI said:

I had not realised that Crows fish like this

It's the first time I've see them doing it, but there were several of them at the weir.

3 hours ago, John2 said:

That's something I haven't seen before.  I thought crows lived entirely on carrion.

Thanks John, it was the first time for me as well. I've had crows come for the mealworms I put out and they often visit the feeding tables at Sprinwood Whalley when everyone has gone.

Rye I think that you should send this series of pics to the RSPB for a report/feedback, on whether crows fishing us unusual....you might have=ve stumbled on something new here...

FUJI

10 hours ago, FUJI said:

report/feedback, on whether crows fishing us unusual

I've been doing a bit of Googling as this interested me and wondered whether this behaviour was unique, it turns out it's not. The ones I saw probably learned the trick by watching the Black Headed Gulls, apparently they will also catch fish using bait - such as bread. As Mike says they are very intelligent birds.

Oooh  I  think #2 is a  really  good image displaying the real beauty of the feathers Rye.. Great exposure.

I see Crows, Otters and Chimpanzees  have been documented using tools...

That's an interesting pic Mike .. . ...I think if an image is pertinent to the discussion no one usually objects on here.  It's not a hanging offence as far as I'm aware.

Archived