Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

ring ring

vanguard

1 hour ago, ChrisLumix said:

Ah. There's a typo in your first post. You said "anti digital project"...

No typo the project is anti digital in subject matter only. But shot on digital which being the point I originally made with the project. We may love old technology and still love using it. But technology advancements carry on.

A great set......isn't it strange that we all hanker after the pre-digital era?

Vynyl, Film, vintage this, and vintage that.....

As I said the other day.......Silent films and shellac 78 records were still around when I was in junior school.....oh.....and the baker, milkman and coal man all delivered by horse and cart......BOY! I'm Ancient ?

FUJI

To be honest I don't want to go back to pre digital cameras... But it's like  a lot of things ... Without the vintage stuff  one maybe doesn't appreciate the attributes of the digital age quite so much .. if you've never experienced a truly sad day in your life how  can you know how really good a happy one is ..;)

11 hours ago, Clicker said:

To be honest I don't want to go back to pre digital cameras... But it's like  a lot of things ... Without the vintage stuff  one maybe doesn't appreciate the attributes of the digital age quite so much .. if you've never experienced a truly sad day in your life how  can you know how really good a happy one is ..;)

Hmm. Interesting opinion. But it's interesting, isn't it, that though the CD arrived in 1983, vinyl has not only refused to die, but is making something of a comeback. There's also a quality to film (a "feel") that digital sensors cannot even approximate without a certain amount of processing. Instead of hankering after "vintage stuff", someone could make a modest fortune bringing the technology of USE of vinyl and film up to date. And in spite of ebooks this and Kindle that, most people who are given the choice would prefer to settle down with a good old paper book.

I've loaded a roll of Tri-X into the Contax I'm borrowing at the moments and I'm really looking forward to seeing the results - however - it has already annoyed me as I wanted to take a shot at the weekend but couldn't get a fast enough shutter speed to guarantee a sharp result. With my Fuji I wouldn't have given it a moments thought and just shot without worry knowing the image would be as I expected it to be. I think we forget sometimes just how far digital sensors have come and what we take for granted when we shoot today.

It is great fun look back but by god I don't want to go back. 

I don't suppose it's a hanging offence to enjoy both ends of the stick so to speak ...;) it's a bit the same with the vintage car ... Great for an hour's nostalgia on a Sunday afternoon  but give me my Mazda any  day if I'm driving up to  the North East and back in a day.   :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Clicker said:

I don't suppose it's a hanging offence to enjoy both ends of the stick so to speak ...;) it's a bit the same with the vintage car ... Great for an hour's nostalgia on a Sunday afternoon  but give me my Mazda any  day if I'm driving up to  the North East and back in a day.   :thumbup:

I think both have their place. One for in the week and one for Sunday best ;D

13 hours ago, Clicker said:

The E Type Jag is quite possibly the most beautiful car ever made, but nowadays would be a dog to drive when you're used to how tech has advanced. Which is why there's a company which takes an E Type, updates its suspension, brakes, and steering to modern standards, adds quite a few modern touches electronically, but somehow manages to preserve the look and feel of the original car.

Which is what I meant above by taking what we now think of as redundant vintagery, and updating it for modern users. If they can do it with a car, I'm sure they could do it with cameras and film ... such as putting in a fast enough shutter to have guaranteed BP his shot. After all, Minolta introduced an electromagnetic shutter release that fired a shutter with vertical metal blades - in 1977, on the XD7. Its successor, the X700, went back to the traditional cloth horiizontal travel shutter to cut costs, and so it stayed until its demise in the 1990s. It can be done! It SHOULD be done!

8 hours ago, ChrisLumix said:

The E Type Jag is quite possibly the most beautiful car ever made, but nowadays would be a dog to drive when you're used to how tech has advanced. Which is why there's a company which takes an E Type, updates its suspension, brakes, and steering to modern standards, adds quite a few modern touches electronically, but somehow manages to preserve the look and feel of the original car.

Which is what I meant above by taking what we now think of as redundant vintagery, and updating it for modern users. If they can do it with a car, I'm sure they could do it with cameras and film ... such as putting in a fast enough shutter to have guaranteed BP his shot. After all, Minolta introduced an electromagnetic shutter release that fired a shutter with vertical metal blades - in 1977, on the XD7. Its successor, the X700, went back to the traditional cloth horiizontal travel shutter to cut costs, and so it stayed until its demise in the 1990s. It can be done! It SHOULD be done!

It was the fixed ISO that proved the problem not the range of shutter speeds.

As it happens the 167MT runs up to 1/4000s so it matches the mechanical top speed of my Fuji.

I would never return to a film camera, especially after my expensive trial run a a year or two back now, developing and printing costs were sky-high,  it took  around six weeks, using BOOTS mono film service, which must be in China....the time it took.

Most of the dross pics, would have been deleted off my GX7 just after shooting, to make room for better ones....no going back for me.

FUJI

13 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

It was the fixed ISO that proved the problem not the range of shutter speeds.

As it happens the 167MT runs up to 1/4000s so it matches the mechanical top speed of my Fuji.

Fair point. Though I somehow think that in the 15 years that digital has ruled, if it hadn't, we'd now have variable ISO film, or some way to signal on each frame how far it could be 'pushed'. It would take some fancy developing technology to be invented for it, but it's quite possible that would have happened. And isn't Tri-X the film that could be used at a variety of ISO settings, or am I thinking of another film?

13 hours ago, FUJI said:

I would never return to a film camera, especially after my expensive trial run a a year or two back now, developing and printing costs were sky-high,  it took  around six weeks, using BOOTS mono film service, which must be in China....the time it took.

Most of the dross pics, would have been deleted off my GX7 just after shooting, to make room for better ones....no going back for me.

Ah, but it wouldn't be if film wasn't now a niche market - if it was still commonplace, costs would be cheap as chips, or a bit more for premium services.

As for the dross pictures, don't you occasionally hanker after the days when making every frame count was the thing, rather than fire off umpteen shots more in hope than expectation and hope that one or two are keepers? (Not talking about you personally, you understand!)

10 minutes ago, ChrisLumix said:

Fair point. Though I somehow think that in the 15 years that digital has ruled, if it hadn't, we'd now have variable ISO film, or some way to signal on each frame how far it could be 'pushed'. It would take some fancy developing technology to be invented for it, but it's quite possible that would have happened. And isn't Tri-X the film that could be used at a variety of ISO settings, or am I thinking of another film?

That was T-Max which was/is a C-41 based emulsion without the colour layers. Technically you could alter the ISO (same with Ilford XP1 and 2) but in practice it gave some iffy results if used at anything other than its nominal speed.

31 minutes ago, Black Pearl said:

That was T-Max which was/is a C-41 based emulsion without the colour layers. Technically you could alter the ISO (same with Ilford XP1 and 2) but in practice it gave some iffy results if used at anything other than its nominal speed.

I think what might have evolved is a variable ISO film where the ISO used was recorded onto a tiny little chip on the frame - you'd send the film away like you did for transparencies, and passing through the chemicals each chip would be read and the frame processed for the appropriate time.

As for rejects, a combination of film and digital could have provided little JPEGs which you could have used a contact roll, and signalled to the processors which frames should be ignored and not processed. (Just thinking aloud here, trying to imagine how it might have evolved differently).

Of course, the downside is you would lose immediacy, but on the other hand being able to upload the 'contact' JPEGs to your device would have allowed you to plan any necessary processing in advance, and your negs would have come back also on CD, just as film prints did in their final decade or so. 

Archived