Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Windows 10.

JohnP

Thanks Ron & Colin - had a minor compatibility issue with my laptop, which meant I had to stop the process, delete the app. and start the process again, but it's going well now. I have used Win 10 on other people's computers, but only in 'basic' mode. As I said yesterday we are expecting a REALLY GOOD rain event, (yah!!), starting about midnight tonight - we may even be flooded in for a while, so we thought it a good time to start 'playing around'

Well I hit the 'sod it and go ahead' button last week. I ended up with a splash screen that said all updates are downloaded and that I could upgrade now or set a time. I set a time and date , the computer was on............and nothing happened. Using the windows 10 logo on the taskbar, I then again selected 'upgrade now' it reboots, tells me it is downloading an update that turns out to be a out of date graphics driver....that will not get installed because it is too old!. Machine reboots wash rinse and repeat all over again.

So, I found a very neat program written by a computer techie that completely removes all of the pre-upgrade crap that Windows 10 has secretly installed totaling 6.3 Gb on my C drive. This CANNOT be removed by any other means. It runs in the background and filters any windows 10 related patches, or downloads out of the updates. These windows 10 updates are very carefully disguised by microsoft, but this small program catches them while allowing other non 10 items to upgrade. The best thing it that it is completely reversible so I I want another go at W10 before the freebie deadline ends I can do so.

But as W10 is going to be totally controlled my microsoft, then I'm not sure I want to give control over my computer to them. I thought I owned my W7 disk and OS having purchased it legitimately. No, wrong, microsoft only lease you the right to it and they now have the right to alter it as and when they see fit with W10. This is not a game I'm willing to play quite yet. I shall stay on W7 till the bitter end, after all, my XP machine still chugs along well after a considerable time with no support!

If anyone else want to download this program that will remove the 6 gb of Windows 10 upgrade software secretly installed on your hard drive, and the horse it rode in on, then drop me a PM !!

I love Windows 10. 

Apart from the odd annoying things that a lot of people don't like, surely Microsoft are working along the same thing as Apple, who continually upgrade their OS without charging for it.

I intalled it on a slow netbook to see how it would work, and It installed well It didn't speed the netbook up much but I was interested to see how it would go.

I am saving up for a new laptop and want one with Windows 10 already installed, but after reading how much harddrive is used for software and upgrades, I am going to wait until I can afford one with a large hard drive.

HP do a reasonably priced 15" one, £249.00, in their online store, so. I think I will aim for that one.

I never used to think in terms of hard drive size and Ram, but I do now as I have learned how much difference it can make.

It's a good feeling to get planned computer jobs done, isn't it, Dee.

I have kept an old computer with Xp installed and the other old one with windows 7.

The older Windows 7 one is so slow these days that it's hardly worth changing to 10, and I don't think it would speed it up at all.

I update the newer desktop that I bought last year, and I wouldn't revert back.

I hated Windows 8.

Edited by NannyFerret