Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Photoshop Generative Fill

No-one seems to have mentioned this yet.  Is it amazing, or the end of photography as we know it?

I've had a first play with it:

This was my original image - quite a pleasant scene, but it needs a focal point.
IMG_0813.png.063d9f97274a904c98a7807a7dff7b26.png

Attempt #1 - I asked Photoshop to add a woman in a red dress.  This is the result:
IMG_0813a.png.5ddc04061e26c1e5d65c8d309e4b03cb.png

Quite impressive?  Attempt #2 - I asked for a woman in jeans and a red t-shirt:
IMG_0813b.png.ddc0636535a743d2676ad32880a3d84a.png

Also pretty good, I thought.  
Unfortunately, zooming in showed up the limitations....  Pretty scary!
IMG_0813c.png.f3498c5cf419bca4aaa813cea29316f6.png

IMG_0813d.png.ac6bc5615b2bb21b1181c646e46d2e2d.png

So, I think it's really impressive, but there's clearly a lot of scope for improvement.  It's still only in Beta though.

Having said that, as a camera club competition secretary, I am somewhat concerned over the implications for competition images in the future.
Our rules say that competition entries must be "all your own work" and an AI-generated object in the image clearly falls foul of that, but I'm not sure it's going to be possible to police that.
The alternative is to allow it, but that seems to me as defeating the object of taking photographs - we may as well just compare AI images.

What do you think?

Gareth

• Like 1

Initially the images look good but... AI has been in the news (and not in mainstream media) for a while now and none of it good, I think a music website Deezer is actively removing AI generated music. As AI develops it may well create better 'images' than actual human artists. I'm pretty sure a couple of AI generated images won a Photography Awards. (Boris Eldagsen's image titled “The Electrician” took first place in a category at the World Photography Organization's Sony World Photography Awards but was AI generated.)

I'm against AI being used in any creative arts...

• Like 1

Yes, the results are funny, but in a few years time when AI is winning Photography Competitions, it's going to make forums like this redundant; so real people going out and taking actual photographs is going to be replaced by geeks using AI to bypass the actual physical process of going out to photograph something, with a "create me a sunset image of mountains with a woman in a red dress".....

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Ryewolf said:

Yes, the results are funny, but in a few years time when AI is winning Photography Competitions, it's going to make forums like this redundant; so real people going out and taking actual photographs is going to be replaced by geeks using AI to bypass the actual physical process of going out to photograph something, with a "create me a sunset image of mountains with a woman in a red dress".....

dont think i will be around when that happens 

On 06/06/2023 at 23:56, Ryewolf said:

I'm against AI being used in any creative arts...

Agreed.  AI images will replace artists for things like album covers etc.

48 minutes ago, Ryewolf said:

but in a few years time when AI is winning Photography Competitions, it's going to make forums like this redundant;

As I said above, our camera club has a rule that competition entries must be 100% your own work.  This clearly bans use of Generative Fill but I think we're going to have to rely on trust - it's going to be very difficult to police.  

4 hours ago, Fogey said:

Sorry Gareth, I disagree.  AI will never replace real life.  Everything I have seen here looks artificial, over-stylised and frankly, dead.

Have to agree those Bing images just dont look real. seem to be missing something, reminds me of when CDs came out in the 80s good but something missing and still is compared to vinyl