Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Hoverfly

Martyn

Yay! Finally found a bug in the garden! Went out into the garden looking for spiders and insects again this evening, spotted a couple of small garden spiders and half a dozen very small wolf spiders. This hoverfly was resting on a plant and stayed put whilst I took 71 shots.

13629813583_906dde401e_b_d.jpg

13630146204_f02b85bfc8_b_d.jpg

13630147184_a4f67350a8_b_d.jpg

13630147754_9753ce1425_b_d.jpg

13629788755_82578dc1a8_b_d.jpg

For anyone interested, this is the setup I used for these shots. Reverse mounted Chinon 28-50 zoom set to f11. The view through the viewfinder is very dark, so the subject needs to be very still and patient while I take plenty of shots in order to get a few in focus.

IMG-20140404-00515_zpsb15c8992.jpg

Thinking more about these........you do need to get the flash to reach down to the front of your lens....

Just by making a lightweight paper hood fixed very lightly to the opened flash should make a vast improvement, just cut an A4 sheet in half length ways, then use a ruler to curl it, a light elastic band or even Blue Tack will hold it in place.

With the flash, set to fire, set your camera to S 160........ A to 16 ....ISO UP TO 400 for a start.......find another cooperative insect, preferably sideways on to get best focus......check the results.

Then try A11 .......and an ISO of 100 ......adjust settings until you get best results.....don't forget that you can adjust flash strength too.

A Speedlight with a long hood , or plastic basin diffuser like mine would give better results,

Also, these could be lightened by playing with the Exposure and Curves sliders.

FUJI

Cheers Fuji! I started out by photographing this fly with a set of tubes and my Nikon 18-105 but the magnification factor was not good enough. I switched to the reversed lens on the extension tubes but could only fit the fly's head in, focusing was out of the question. Then I used the reversed lens directly on the camera, but then my flash arm was too far out. I removed the flash bracket and used the pop up flash. I do have a small collection of home made diffusers and soft boxes, but I would have needed to go and get them using up more valuable time. I'm learning all the time, making lots of mistakes but only showing the successes on the forum.

My biggest problem with this reversed lens set up is being able to see through the viewfinder when the lens is stopped down. I have a couple of torches with 24 LEDs, I may try using them as a constant light source and see how that works.

I was looking at this the other day, and wondering what it would be like for close up photography while still getting TTL settings.

http://www.rogueflash.com/products/rogue-safari-dslr-pop-up-flash-booster

When I saw it it was under £25
I guess it would be a handy gadget to have in a camera bag if you don't want to fiddle fitting an external flash gun.

I was looking at this the other day, and wondering what it would be like for close up photography while still getting TTL settings.

http://www.rogueflash.com/products/rogue-safari-dslr-pop-up-flash-booster

When I saw it it was under £25

I guess it would be a handy gadget to have in a camera bag if you don't want to fiddle fitting an external flash gun.

The flash diffuser I've been using today cost me £1. You can get them from Tesco and they come with the free gift of 1L of milk!  :dry:

Just raise the pop up flash and thread the tongue through the hotshoe!

_DSC2220_zpsa4fb8c86.jpg

Mine came with a bottle of shampoo and has done me through many years with my film SLR and then digital. :rofl:

The Rogue one seems to channel the light further and magnify it at the same time.
I think it is a bit expensive for what it is, but could be handy if it was used a lot to cover the cost.

Archived