Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Blowing bubbles

Mitch

Amazing detail, but strangely disorienting. Even though on a proper inspection I can see that it is not the case, the first-glance impression was that the fly was pasted onto the leaf image.

I wonder whether one stop smaller aperture and one stop longer exposure would have been more comfortable to look at, or whether that would have suffered from motion blur.

4 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Amazing detail, but strangely disorienting. Even though on a proper inspection I can see that it is not the case, the first-glance impression was that the fly was pasted onto the leaf image.

I wonder whether one stop smaller aperture and one stop longer exposure would have been more comfortable to look at, or whether that would have suffered from motion blur.

Not entirely sure what you mean by one stop longer exposure? 

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Not entirely sure what you mean by one stop longer exposure? 

Just doubling the exposure time. I don't know how you were configured for the shot, but I tend to think in manual settings and ISO pre-determined because I mostly use film and natural light so my thoughts were based on that concept.

Nicely caught Mitch.

2 hours ago, johntwo said:

A Flesh Fly I think

Looks like either a blue or green bottle to me, Flesh Flies have black and gray longitudinal stripes on the thorax and checkering on the abdomen.

6 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

Nicely caught Mitch.

Looks like either a blue or green bottle to me, Flesh Flies have black and gray longitudinal stripes on the thorax and checkering on the abdomen.

I bow to your greater knowledge Rye.

14 hours ago, JamesT said:

Just doubling the exposure time. 

Surely you would only do that if you were either struggling for light? or wanted to show movement in the image? Or am I missing the point? I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can quite often be a tool lol

9 hours ago, johntwo said:

A Flesh Fly I think but nicely captured whatever it is.

Thanks John.... As Rye pointed out it is in fact a Common Green Bottle (Lucilia sericata) or as some might ay a Blowfly.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Surely you would only do that if you were either struggling for light? or wanted to show movement in the image? Or am I missing the point? I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can quite often be a tool lol

I think James meant that a bit more depth of field would make the subject seem more part of the surroundings rather than looking as if it could have been pasted on.
A smaller aperture to achieve that would need to be balanced by a slower shutter speed to get the same overall exposure.

22 minutes ago, Hatter said:

think James meant that a bit more depth of field would make the subject seem more part of the surroundings rather than looking as if it could have been pasted on.
A smaller aperture to achieve that would need to be balanced by a slower shutter speed to get the same overall exposure.

Exactly; thanks Gareth.

20 minutes ago, Hatter said:

I think James meant that a bit more depth of field would make the subject seem more part of the surroundings rather than looking as if it could have been pasted on.

Ooooooooooh yes well that makes sense.... Did I mention I can be a tad slow to catch on at times lol.... To be fair there is a lack of stuff in the background to begin with, those couple of leaves that are blurred out were about it, so altering the aperture to increase the DOF wouldn't have made any difference.

On 13/07/2019 at 21:08, Ryewolf said:

Nicely caught Mitch, I've never seen any of the flies I've photographed doing this.

Thanks Rye.... I have seen plenty of photographs with them doing this, but a first for me, so again quite happy lol

Archived