Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Macro advice

That is correct Roger.....you need to get as much light as possible to the end of the Kim's where it matters...._which is why I made and use a DIY Flash Diffuser/Reflector.....using a flash allows you to go up to f16 at S 160. Incread9ng that very shallow depth of field.

FUJI

29 minutes ago, Rogerw said:

Thanks FUJI, ,been getting mixed feedback when I goggled it ,I will give it a try tomorrow.

I don't use UV filters, some might, who like to protect their front glass element.

FUJI

7 hours ago, FUJI said:

I don't use UV filters, some might, who like to protect their front glass element.

FUJI

Wow this is a debate that really has been going on, and on.

Half my lens have lens protectors (skylight/UV etc), half don't, and no rationale for the decision!

Personally I cannot make up my mind, you loose 4% light at an uncoated air/glass boundary, so a maximum of 8% if they are not coated, which most are.

You however risk in theory gaining damage to your lens by not having protection, though how much protection you get over and above preventing finger marks is arguable.

Carl.

In macro and shooting jittery livestock the further you can get from them the better so as not to spook them, therfore a lens hood isnt a good idea as your lens is now 2" nearer or with extension tubes, which closes down the focus distance, the nearer you can get to them to get them in focus  a lens hood isnt a good idea as it now swamps the subject 

Just an aside 

Whilst some critters will be attracted by there own image in the lens and seem to pose others will react to your big pale hand twisting the lens to focus. Rocking back and forth on your heels, with your lens set to a desirable focus (pre sorted), to get that sharp focus point is often a better option 

• Like 1

I don't use protection filters, haven't for years and years and I've never had an issue - but you know what - some people do and they swear that it has saved their bacon.

The thing is there is no right and wrong - but - if you are going to go naked then I would strongly recommend using some other form of protection - a lens hood for starters.

All of my lenses have hoods on all of the time.

I don't take them off....see below
I don't reverse them to put them away.
I don't take a shot without them on as I've yet to find a shot I can't take with a hood on.

* If I am using my short zoom with my 10 stopper I can't get the hood on as the filter is too big and I have to use stepping rings - then - I have the filter to protect things so the hood is a little less useful.

This debate though is the source of nightmares - its the meat on the bones of some internet forums - it has filled more pages and caused more arguments than even the most fervent flat Earther - you will never find a solution.

Put your camera on a tripod - get all of your lenses - point them at a few subjects - take some shots with and without a filter, with and without a hood - run the raw files through your software of choice and decide if you can see a difference.
Your shots, your choice, you decide.

• Like 2

If I'm doing macro stuff I don't have the lens hood on or any sort of filters, if I've got the Ring Flash on you can't put either on anyways....

The only time I ever use the lens hood all the time is when I'm shooting with the Sigma 150-600mm... it's just helps to cut down on incidental light coming from others directions.

• 3 months later...