Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

I don't doubt the 100mm is as good as the 60mm, it also has the benefit of being able to get similar shots without getting so close to your subject and disturbing them. But, on a crop sensor body the 100mm will have limited use, whereas the 60mm will be more versatile.
Just something else to consider.

It's over to you, Rog, you pays your money and makes your choice :happy:

Thanks guys , I did read that the 60 mm is better for a cropped sensor, so will ponder on this before I go mad and spend the money, after spending 50k on Astro gear, every time I mention I WANT THIS  the wife looks daggers  hehheeh

Edited by Rogerw
spelling correction
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Phil said:

I But, on a crop sensor body the 100mm will have limited use, whereas the 60mm will be more versatile.

:happy:

I assume we are talking non macro here i.e using it as a normal lens The 60 in 35mm size would be an 86mm nice for portrait where as the 100 would be a 160 which is a bit of a handful for a general lens but for macro 100mm every time 

For macro I find the further from the subject the better, there is less chance of shadow from the lens which is not uncommon and annoying 

I have the 100mm f2.8 USM version of this and I use it with my crop sensor and the results are very good, but I don't tend to use it for anything else other than macro. I know Paul has the IS verision of the 100mm - I wanted it but was twice the price - but well worth the money - if you can afford it.

Sigma also do a 180mm macro, not sure on the price of that one.

If you're planning on only using it for macro I'd go for the 100mm f2.8 USM or the IS version if you can afford it. I use mine with both the Canon EP12 and EP25 Extension Tubes, pretty sure they will both work with the 60mm version. The 60mm is probably a bit more versatile for other uses.

Just tried the 60mm for the shells I was shooting earlier. 100mm macro is better in my opinion. But this is a new area for me and I may well be missing something. :) 

Edited by kev7d
3 hours ago, fuzzyedges said:

I assume we are talking non macro here i.e using it as a normal lens

Indeed, the 100mm will get used for macro, and macro only, whereas the 60mm does have other uses, it truly is fantastic portrait lens.. If someone can afford to buy a lens and have it sat gathering dust for the majority of the year, good on 'em.

Just saying..

I have a 2.8-100 SONY dedicated macro lens........I have learned how to use it reasonably well......but it took me around two years before I discovered it also made a fantastic Portrait Lens....

FUJI

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Indeed, the 100mm will get used for macro, and macro only, whereas the 60mm does have other uses, it truly is fantastic portrait lens.. If someone can afford to buy a lens and have it sat gathering dust for the majority of the year, good on 'em.

Just saying..

I think its the way it goes 

You buy a camera with a kit lens then you decide to take people so you buy a an 85 prime then thats too long so you buy a 50mm prime then you fancy landscape so you buy a wide angle then macro and on and on it goes before long you have several bodies several lens several flash guns a couple of tripods etc etc 

A pile of dust appears and you sell the lot and buy something lighter, vowing never to get carried away again BUT there is just that lens that you really cant do without 
and the cycle starts again 

I am on my 3rd cycle is this normal ??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fuzzyedges said:

You buy a camera with a kit lens then you decide to take people so you buy a an 85 prime then thats too long so you buy a 50mm prime then you fancy landscape so you buy a wide angle then macro and on and on it goes before long you have several bodies several lens several flash guns a couple of tripods etc etc 

That's odd. 85mm is virtually ideal for portraits - it irons out the last remaining 'wide angle distortion' you get even on a 50mm if you shoot too close to your subject. 50mm is the ultimate general purpose lens with an angle of view closest to the human eye (or so they say), but not the most ideal for facial portraits.

1 hour ago, fuzzyedges said:

I think its the way it goes 

A pile of dust appears and you sell the lot and buy something lighter, vowing never to get carried away again BUT there is just that lens that you really cant do without 
and the cycle starts again 

I am on my 3rd cycle is this normal ??

YEP,,,been there, talking about just digital I started of with Canon then the Olympus E-system then the Olympus  micro four thirds system.

Then I got  a itch and wondered if I was missing something by not having a dslr again so I invested in a Nikon and four lenses. luckily this time I kept my Olympus just in case and the Nikon stuff has now gone.

I down sized my Oly kit to one body and five lenses, I even sold the dedicated  60mm macro lens, unless you are really into macro they do tend to sit gathering dust and nothing comes close to my 75mm f1.8 for portraits.

Even before I sold the macro lens for the oddclose up  shots I took I found myself just screwing a Sigma double element close up filter on my 40-150mm as yo get a great working distance between the lens and subject.

20130729 122341.jpg

Edited by OlympusPaul
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

I have the 100mm f2.8 USM version of this and I use it with my crop sensor aand I woudn't nd the results are very good, but I don't tend to use it for anything else other than macro. I know Paul has the IS verision of the 100mm - I wanted it but was twice the price - but well worth the money - if you can afford it.

I have the 100mm IS version and I wouldn't be without it, 99% of the time it's the only lens I use for macro nature shots (sometimes with extension tubes) and the IS is a must. I try to avoid taking any shots of people as the subject is of no interest to me, I'm an oddball I know... :lol:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ChrisLumix said:

That's odd. 85mm is virtually ideal for portraits - it irons out the last remaining 'wide angle distortion' you get even on a 50mm if you shoot too close to your subject. 50mm is the ultimate general purpose lens with an angle of view closest to the human eye (or so they say), but not the most ideal for facial portraits.

I will try and do this a bit clearer 

85mm for portrait then you want to do street and the 85 is too long and your kit is not sharp enough so you buy a 50mm prime but you then realise a 27 would be better or maybe an 18 or a fish eye and so on and on goes the craving 

• Like 1

A fast 85mm is an ideal portrait lens on a full frame camera, but you'll need a pretty big studio/workspace if you stick it on a crop. Which is why I would plump for the 60mm over the 100mm, but it is only my opinion, and hoping to help Rog make a decision by weighing up the pros and cons.