Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Homeless

I really like this photo ... It's  not easy to grab a pic like this that doesn't feel intrusive  or exploitative given the circumstances. Did you speak to the man,   I prefer the the BW version but only marginally. The coloured one is  good  too. What the capture does ... Is make me ask a lot of questions  ..,about the person, his much loved dog, his circumstances  .. And  even whether we would be able to tell if this was genuine or a staged shoot . Whatever the circumstances  I think you have captured a really powerful moment and it feels a connection was made. Hats off to you VW. It's an image I will remember :clap:

Polly:happy:

A good portrait ....with a huge back story no doubt.......but for me there are buts.

I come from a Wartime generation, who saw literally no begging, especially young beggars, almost everyone over 18 was pressed into military or other service to help save the Nation.

I come from a large family who saw very real hunger during the war years we relied on Schoold Dinners, Charirty footwear and clothing donations..I've said it before, no dad for six years.

Even after the War, the only beggars we saw, in city, town and country were the typical Tramp, usually a mature guy pushing an old bike or a battered old pram .......they would knock on a door to ask for hot water or loose tea, or tobacco.

The Victorian built Asylums housed thousands of unfortunates, ( many found later unnecessarily ) but if genuinely addicted, mentally ill or handicapped, they were housed, fed and clothed; many institutions had attached farms, laundries and Allotments for self sufficiency.

For twenty plus years I worked with and for young people with severe learning disabilities........during the 1970s almost every Victorian Institution was razed to the ground.....mostly to be replaced by housing estates.

As a result of dotty,Social Engineering this led to so called......Care in the Community........this unfortunate chap.....is in the care of the Community.....

They threw the baby out with the bath water..........also, it's a generational thing, so don't condemn me.....sadly I just can't grasp, the current thinking on addiction, or begging like this with a dog. 

Unless I got full permission, I couldn't or wouldn't take a pic like this, and if I did, he wouldn't receive cash, but a sandwhich and a cuppa.

FUJI

VW leaving the politics aside I think this is a superb street candid and well handled ( I prefer the colour), and to me it is as much about the dog as the person, the two are intertwined.:)

True street photography is also about the social aspect and not just a rugged face.:)

VW leaving the politics aside I think this is a superb street candid and well handled ( I prefer the colour), and to me it is as much about the dog as the person, the two are intertwined.:)

True street photography is also about the social aspect and not just a rugged face.:)

​Agreed!

FUJI

Thank you all for your comments  :-)

I was in Leeds for the day with two other photographers, doing a combination of street photos (some candid, some portraits) and touristy stuff.  The other two walked past this chap but I stopped - probably influenced by the dog (whose presence made me think he was a decent chap).  I smiled at him and asked if I could take his picture and he agreed.  He was very polite and I thanked him.  I gave him some money and hope it was well spent.

His situation does beg the question of why and how he came to be there but I had to hurry off to catch up with my mates.  I hope things work out for him.  And I'm very grateful for getting a snap (took four) that I came away happy with.  It was pointless offering him a card to contact me on (I usually do for street portraits) as I somehow think he probably had no phone/internet. 

Sad situation, and makes you ponder 'There but for the Grace of God....'

I love both versions, and I'm glad you stopped to get them.

I find it very sad now, that you cannot tell who are genuinely homeless and those who borrow dogs to make the public feel sorry for them.
It does happen, as I was told by someone who once had a conversation with a so called homeless person, who actually bragged that he had a flat and borrowed a dog to make more pocket money.
I'm not saying that this is true for all homeless people, but it does make me think twice about giving money to them.
In fact, I would rather go and buy the dog some food.

Putting all that aside, I think it's a brilliant capture and you have certainly caught our attention with this shot.:respect:

Archived