Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Quick Question

This is an image I am in the process of restoring for the local historical society, it shows the village rat catchers.

My question is this; Is the chap rear left holding something in his hand or is it simply another blemish on the image?

You thoughts please.

I'd love to see the finished restoration.

No pressure there then  :rolleyes:

I had thought of a pipe but it appeared flat, your idea that it's moved during exposure would indeed explain it. Although it does seem a little long?

It's a stick, pipe or instrument held under his arm in the manner that an military NCO holds a Pace Stick.

The strange appearance is because it naturally moved during the longish exposure required at the time.

FUJI

One thing Phil with eleven rat catchers the village must have had some population of rats..!

I guess so :)

The chap 2nd from the right, front row, is still with us, well into his nineties now :yes

I'm 99% sure it's a pipe, I saved the image and zoomed in on it. He's holding the bowl, you can just about make out the end of the stem where the teeth grip is. Not all pipes have a round stem, some are more oval... I should know I smoked a pipe years ago... :yes

Definitely a pipe, as JohnP says. I've just blown it up to 300%.

I'd like to see the finished restore, Phil :)

Sheesh, another one. Talk about piling on the pressure  :crazy:

Only started this tonight so it might be a while yet  :scooter:

I'm with Martyn and Fuji - going by the mans posture and position in the picture he is the leader of the troop and holding a stick as a Sargent or army personal would 

and I don't really think his hand is in the right position to be holding a pipe

stick%20crop_1.jpg

and good luck with the restoration :smiling:  

That is never a pipe.......look very closely and you will see that it continues under his armpit at the same thickness.....the long clay, Churchwarden's pipes of the day had very thin stems and would never be carried like that.

Any decent Ratcatcher of almost any period of history would need a ....Cudgel......a heavy ended stick with which to dispatch those destructive rodents.

What I do find strange is that the group have no little terriers with them.

Could it be, that they might be a team or group of some kind that called themselves the.....RATCATCHERS.

FUJI

Archived