Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Macro Tubes

A word of advice : if you're a beginner, then you should take an inexpensive solution to start with - macro lenses are frighteningly expensive. If your camera is an ILC, then try out with one extension tube of low magnification and cost, and see how you get on. Only when you're sure macro is for you should you lash out money on all the stuff you'll need such as a full set of tubes or a dedicated macro lens, plus lighting, etc.

Hope you didn't mind me saying. 

• Like 1

Not at all, I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

The cheapest option is unpowered and so I think I'll go with that and see how I get on.

The macro converter for my Olympus is not hugely expensive but it's expensive enough for something I might not use as much as I thought.

Thanks for your comments, very helpful! :)

I found my extension tubes great value for money, I got a used set off Ebay. I got a Kenco set with electrical contacts but you can go cheaper and just get plain tubes. I also got a reverse lens adaper for a couple of quid that offers good results too.

Nothing comes easy with macro, it's all trial and error and find out what works for you. Have a look in my Blog posts where you can see my gear.

• Like 1

If you are going to buy extension tubes then make sure you get the auto type, auto focus extension tubes are designed with all the circuitry and mechanical coupling to maintain auto focus and TTL auto exposure. You would soon regret buying the plain type extension tubes... even more so should you decide later to get a dedicated macro lens and then want to use extension tubes in conjunction with it. Macro photography is difficult enough without make things harder for yourself by trying to take a cheaper route, you could easily give it up as you will be finding it hard to get good results because of inferior equipment. I have a set of Kenko auto tubes and IMO they are of excellent quality.

BTW... I'm not familiar with your camera so what I've written may not apply.

Edited by JohnP

Well, good advice as always! :)

Um I will I think go for some low cost tubes. I was going to get some unconnected tubes as they were cheapest, but I thought in the back of my mind that maybe connected ones with autofocus and so forth would be easier for me.

A point confirmed in large part, now.

I have seen a set of Meike ones on Amazon on Amazon for £20.00, which I think is a good price for me to spend, under the circumstances. Should I want to continue down the Macro root then I can add on the Macro Converter for my camera later.

(I've got an Olympus pen e-pl5).

Um I will I think go for some low cost tubes. I was going to get some unconnected tubes as they were cheapest, but I thought in the back of my mind that maybe connected ones with autofocus and so forth would be easier for me.

A point confirmed in large part, now.

I must say that auto focus is a waste of in my opinion for macro, the depth of field and focus points are so small that the camera will be constantly hunting for the sweet spot. What the connected tubes do well is only stop the aperture down when you shoot. Focus for macro is better achieved in manual mode and slowly moving the camera until you find the focus point.

• Like 1

To get the depth of field you will need small apertures

Once you start you will appreciate what off camera flash can do and it dosnt have to be an expensive flash for macro

A cheapo with a diffuser will make loads of differance

Fuji has a thread on here somewhere about a homemade diffuser

• Like 1

Its a very interesting point on where to start with macro. The best advice I was given (in hindsight!) was "macro is manual". The DOF is so small that the important thing as soon as you get 1:1 is trying to master blurring. Auto focus hunts around and is a nightmare IMHO. A Cheap flashgun with cheap extension tubes will ultimately give better results than expensive tubes. As Martyn said though we are all different in what will work for us.

I must say that auto focus is a waste of in my opinion for macro, the depth of field and focus points are so small that the camera will be constantly hunting for the sweet spot. What the connected tubes do well is only stop the aperture down when you shoot. Focus for macro is better achieved in manual mode and slowly moving the camera until you find the focus point.

Martyn... I use both manual focus and auto focus for macro, when using auto I mostly use the centre AF point... seems to work for me.

Maybe if I got the powered ones and just flicked to manual on the camera, then I have the best of both worlds...?

Can your lens apertures be selected manually or does it stop down electronically (I dont know olympus)

On my canon to use non connected tubes I would have to select the aperture press dof button and then take the lens off the camera so it stayed stopped down and connect the tubes

Obviously electrically connected tubes are a god send for me

If you can stop the lens down on the lens then cheap non electrically ones are good

If your camera body stops down the lens then get the ones with the electrical connections