Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Broadband Speed.

JohnP

This is since I have connected the Desktop to the hub via an ethernet cable and I'm getting a more consistant service than when I was paying for a high speed, fibre internet with Virgin.
Sky is better using  (DSL) that Virgin was supposed to be 60MBs using fibre optic cable, so you can see how bad the Virgin has been in recent months.

This month alone, I would have saved nearly £40 and the internet doesn't keep dropping either.

WiFi on netbook and tablets is better than it was before too.

4080520856.png

Edited by NannyFerret

It's amazing how much speeds vary among members here, I never realised there was that much difference across the country. Some of us are living in the stone age if you ask me, it's a shame the cost of broadband isn't worked out to reflect this.

All you people showing off your superfast optical fibre broadband speeds ... well, the ultimate test is how smoothly does iPlayer stream video when you're watching catch-up TV? I can tell you that my pathetic 3mbps streams TV without a hiccup, no stuttery video or audio. What really is the use of speed way faster than any application can use?

Its like watching TV...no difference :) and to be fair Chris, were not showing off, just showing what speeds we are getting as per the original posters request.

My mate two miles away can only get BT and his connection is really poor. Yes , we are lucky to get these speeds but feel sorry for those that dont.

You may notice too that I am on Virginmedia, a really cannot fault them, although many do find them less than capable.

It's amazing how much speeds vary among members here, I never realised there was that much difference across the country. Some of us are living in the stone age if you ask me, it's a shame the cost of broadband isn't worked out to reflect this.

You have forgotten one very important point. Dial-up was 'supposed' to be 56 kbps - but if you watched the speed of something actually downloading, what you were actually getting was between 1 and 3 kbps in the real world. So 3 Mbps is at LEAST 1000 times that, and perfectly adequate for most of us. As for variance, that's not always the braodband supplier, more often than not, it's a combination of your local BT Exchange, the wiring to and in your home, and competing networks all around you which interfere with your channel.

I'm on 40MB down and 8MB up which is the most I can get in my flat.

Blimey, I would kill (well, maybe not :) ) for those speeds.

I'm in the process of uploading my entire library to Dropbox, uploading at 30KBs it's been running now for 2 weeks and currently 93 days left :(

• Like 1

Blimey, I would kill (well, maybe not :) ) for those speeds.

I'm in the process of uploading my entire library to Dropbox, uploading at 30KBs it's been running now for 2 weeks and currently 93 days left :(

Oh my that sounds painful!

Would it not be faster to dump it to an external drive and use a work/friends connection?

I mean, you could copy it all, post it to me and I could do it before yours is done!

Would it not be faster to dump it to an external drive and use a work/friends connection?

Ha ha, you're probably right :yes

However, when at work I tether to my phone's 3G connection which has an upload of around 3MBs, so a couple of 12 hour shifts will hopefully see it done, but I can only take the laptop when I'm working weekends which isn't that often. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I just had to share this.

We've had fibre enabled today and what a massive difference. Not as quick as some on here but much better than the the 1mb I'm used to :yes

4240994640.png