Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Shuttleworth Military Pageant 2014

JamWheel

What a show - simply fantastic weather and wonderful aircraft flown!

Here are a few - starting with the absolute highlight of the day, the very very rare DeHavilland DH.88 Comet - five were made originally for the MacRobertson air race in 1934 which the aircraft pictured here won - it went from Mildenhall, England to Melbourne, Australia (11000 miles) in 70 hrs 55 min. A record still held in 2010. It is indescribably beautiful - I only hope my photographs do it justice - taken at its first public display in many years (around 20 I think):

15171308935_5b641e4462_b.jpg

Click image to view large

DH.88 Comet by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

15148370216_5e3db640d6_b.jpg

DeHavilland DH.88 Comet by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

15179949601_7e9fe00b9a_b.jpg

14996212779_5a484c56c1_b.jpg

Now... for some other aircraft:

The BBMF and their newly painted Hurricane on its first outing:

15149587586_99fea73437_b.jpg

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

The wonderful Sea Hurricane:

15169754721_6722294841_b.jpg

Sea Hurricane by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

The Hawker Hunter T7:

14996251628_5a15a0f8b4_b.jpg

Heavenly Hunter by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

Two Gloster Gladiators sparring:

15169423871_9faaff6aac_b.jpg

Sparring Gladiators by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

And a vintage styled shot of the Bristol Fighter with two Be2s

14996240920_1c71081e29_b.jpg

Untitled by James Wheeler Photography, on Flickr

Boy! You have stirred up old memories for me with these.....

As a 12-17 year old Inwas an avid fan of and visitor to the Bagington Air Pageants at Bagington Aerodrome ( Now Coventry Airport).

Besides seeing all the latest ( I should now say the very earliest Jets) wartime aircraft, fresh from service including their pilots........the KING'S CUP AIR RACE was held every year, right over the heads of the soectators, the winning post being right in front of the crowd.

The race was a Handicapped one, with planes setting off at different intervals according to their power and estimated top speeds............what ensued was the incredible spectacle of planes with engines roaring all far too close together racing around an oval course at their highest speeds.

One favourite local pilot was the late, great Pery Blamire,ma local garage owner and car dealer, he iften won in his Twin engine ( Miles I think?) .........I'm sure taphat I recall seeing your plane or something very similar racing during those heady days of post war civilian flying?

You can look up the Kings Cup Air Race and Percy Blamire if you are interested.

Love planes......hate flying.

FUJI

Hi!

It's me again.......I've just discovered this on YouTube..........a live Kings Cup Air Race in 1950 but at a Wolverhampton aerodrome not that many miles from Coventry.

The planes and the sheer excitement can be felt from this old film footage.......can you imagine what it must have been like for a very young teenager to witness first hand.....

To see Hurricans and Spifires competing with Civilian light aircraft, never mind the twin prop beasties like your DeHavilland ...... Towards the mid fifties I'm pretty sure that a Meteor jet took part.

ENJOY!

What a pity I didn't carry my Panasonic GX7 with its video capabilities back then ;-)

Times have changed?

Just imagine going from the dark days of WWII to this in just over two years?

FUJI

Fantastic shots yet again, James.

I don't really understand the lure of aircraft, it's one of those things I just don't 'get', but I can appreciate the skill that's gone into producing these images. Excellent work!

Korky

The Comet is gorgeous looking aircraft James,but apparently a handful to fly. A friend was also at  Shuttleworth and said the pilot commented as he walked back towards the crowdline after the flight ..

'I hope you enjoyed that more than me'

The Comet is gorgeous looking aircraft James,but apparently a handful to fly. A friend was also at  Shuttleworth and said the pilot commented as he walked back towards the crowdline after the flight ..

'I hope you enjoyed that more than me'

Yes - it is indeed apparently tricky to fly. It is designed to fly along very very fast - something it isn't doing while taking off or landing. Dodge Bailey flew it, their chief pilot, and did an excellent job. There was some collective holding of breath in the crowd at both ends of the display!

Thanks for all of the kind comments everyone.

It wasn't the military pageant at all I don't think. No idea why i had that in my mind. It certainly was Shuttleworth though!

Archived