Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Camera Club (aka cliqued torture chamber)

Leon

so go on then this is brewing, who's in one, who likes them (best not to mention clubs by name)

my experience was, I was too young, too outspoken and generally did not fit in, the chairman and 3 members were nice to me but the rest generally did not seem to want newcomers, the average being 60 ish, in a few years the club will probably close due to lack of members?

this is just MY opinion :)

after 5 visits I won't be going back...EVER!!

Edited by mrwall

Last one I joined and left was in about 1982. Like you, I found my age seemed to count against me. There were just too many cliques. The medium formatists, the slideists, the Nikonists etc all seemed to be in battle with each other, but not in a constructive way. Visiting judges on competition nights were often jeered and derided and were "obviously an idiot" etc.

That said, I don't want to tar all camera clubs with the same brush. There must be some out there that are the analogue equivalent of TIPF, but remain well-kept secrets.

My last night there was a studio session, so I took with me all the things I knew they hated; a Lubitel 2 loaded with Orwochrome, a flimsy telescopic tripod that waved in the breeze, and a Dixons own-branded 35mm SLR (it was a badged Zenit basically).

I remained on the books for the remainder of my membership just so I could use the darkroom, which they thoroughly inspected after each use. On the last occasion I left a 12x16" print of my backside in the dryer.

Childish, perhaps, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Hahaha - well done Graham!

I owned a Lubitel too, and a Zorki 4 with 35mm 50mm and 135mm lenses, not to mention a Leningrad meter which was the cheap Russian equivalent of a Weston meter. If the Soviets had invaded, they'd have taken one look at my photographic equipment and awarded me a red star and promoted me to Colonel :lol: 

• Like 1

Here's one from the other side :)

When I first started getting reasonably serious about photography (ok who said I haven't managed that yet?!!!), I looked around this area for a camera club to join and learn from..

I went to the closest one and immediately felt like the outsider, I mean I only had a budget 35mm SLR and a little point and shoot digital and between the film purists and those with the latest kit, I was very intimidated. Add to that the fact that every other meeting was a competition of some sort. A couple of visits and that was it, I never went back.

A bit of investigation showed all the other ones within reach were pretty much the same especially with regard to competitions, so having found a number of like-minded people in the village, we started up our own. That was a few years ago and the ethos was very much like this forum. Enjoy everything, learn when you can and teach if you can.

We only have three competitions a year. one is the 'formal' one with an outside judge. One is far more informal with just the members choosing, and one is a fun 'what is it' evening. All the other meetings are either speakers or practical nights, and the practical nights can be anything from trying to photograph model helicopters in flight to water drops, still life, or even the occasional portrait session with willing victims. Add in a few outside trips if the weather is good.

Techniques are widely shared and played with, and we have people who are of all ages from about 20 upwards (including some even older than me).

It doesn't matter what kit you use, someone will always be willing to help you with settings or suggestions and there's even one sad person with many manuals downloaded as reference for most of the cameras we use between us.

As I said earlier, very much like here at TIPF, we all try to help each other, whether it's camera, lens, technique, software etc etc etc

• Like 3

Now that does sound like a good club, Bugmeister.

I think it's the two-weekly competitions that spoil clubs, and kind of encourages people to compete against each other and be "better than everyone else". I think you've hit on a formula that would benefit every club and society in the world, regardless of what the club's about.

I did something similar with bikes. All bike clubs were centred around racing, time trials and having the latest and greatest carbon fibre and unobtainium machine. The one dedicated to old bikes was just too analogue for it's own good, and communication with other members are the quarterly magazine. So I started a loose affiliation of old-style cyclist who do it for the joy. It has a forum that feels much like TIPF. Lots of friendly banter etc. Our annual and occasional bike ride have a strict 12mph speed limit and require a teashop or pub stop at maximum two hour intervals. Anyone caught racing is immediately treated with scoff and derision.

So that's the answer - start your own club. Probably easier than it sounds :)

• Like 1

I don't know enough photographers :(

plus finding a place to meet ect where I live would be quite difficult.

I did get in touch with another club via Facebook......1 REPLY!!!  in two weeks??

I'll not bother now I don't think.

I don't know enough photographers :(

plus finding a place to meet ect where I live would be quite difficult.

I did get in touch with another club via Facebook......1 REPLY!!!  in two weeks??

I'll not bother now I don't think.

How about a small ad in the local rag?

I have been a member of several and they are cliques in  most of them (and probably many other sorts of clubs too.) I am currently a member of three and on the committee of one national club. At least two of those are "likely to hit the bin" over the next year though and I shall attend the third only very occasionally.

I am not a great fan and the club competitions; these seem to be generally dragged down by the (largely) abysmal standard of judging. That said you can learn a good bit about improving your pictures if you stick at it in a club with a really good standard.

I have never joined a camera club, mainly because I don't have the time or flexibility to attend regularly. But Bugs I think yours was a great idea, and when you start off like that you will probably find that most people fit in really well.

I think I'm not really a club person. But nothing I've read here (apart from one or two like Bugs who set out to recreate the broad tolerance of TIPF) has made me think that was a mistake. It does sound as if the 'typical club' is like the 'typical internet forum', which thankfully TIPF is not :) 

• Like 1

You bring back memories of a member of Mercia Ferret Welfare. who vowed to run round the garden in his Birthday suit if it snowed on Christmas day.

Well. it snowed and he was kept to his word by his wife and son, and as he duly did the deed with his wife following close behind with a camera in hand.
The picture was posted on Mercia Ferret forum and we have never let him live it down even after all these years. :rofl: 
The original has been conveniently lost somewhere in his home and the forum has since closed so we can't get the pic.

I've tried two in the past but with working for Jessops at the time it was a disaster.  Every session became an extension of my being in the shop but without normal social boundaries:

"I don't like Jessops"

"I can get xxx cheaper from xxx"

"Jessops are this"

"Jessops are that"

"Can you get me discount?"

"My brother in laws, mothers, aunties parrot went to Jessops once and they scratched one of the negatives and even though you weren't born then (the photo was probably crap anyway) I hold you entirely responsible" 

I left.

That was just the bit related to me personally. As has been said the clubs in general were too set in the past and in my experience had an almost pathological resistance to change. Weekly attendance was only good if there was a 'Model Night' which really just boiled down to thirty sweaty old men pointing as big a lens as they possessed at some poor, not always particularly attractive, young girl her undies. The competitions hadn't changed in a hundred years, the prints entered had done the rounds a million times and the winners were the same ones making the back of them a foot thick mass of rosettes. 

On the rare occasion they organised a trip it ended up a an endless series of toilet stops and tea breaks. If you did go along you had to do your best to separate yourself from the masses otherwise people might think you liked to carry a WW2 gas mask case with you everywhere or think that waving a walking stick at anyone under the age of 40 who dared to come close was acceptable behaviour. 

I have to stop as I need to go to work and frankly I'm reliving memories that have been suppressed for a reason.

• Like 1

I've tried two in the past but with working for Jessops at the time it was a disaster.  Every session became an extension of my being in the shop but without normal social boundaries:

"I don't like Jessops"

"Jessops are this"

"Jessops are that"

"My brother in laws, mothers, aunties parrot went to Jessops once and they scratched one of the negatives and even though you weren't born then (the photo was probably crap anyway) I hold you entirely responsible" 

I left.

That was just the bit related to me personally. As has been said the clubs in general were too set in the past and in my experience had an almost pathological resistance to change. Weekly attendance was only good if there was a 'Model Night' which really just boiled down to thirty sweaty old men pointing as big a lens as they possessed at some poor, not always particularly attractive, young girl her undies. The competitions hadn't changed in a hundred years, the prints entered had done the rounds a million times and the winners were the same ones making the back of them a foot thick mass of rosettes. 

On the rare occasion they organised a trip it ended up a an endless series of toilet stops and tea breaks. If you did go along you had to do your best to separate yourself from the masses otherwise people might think you liked to carry a WW2 gas mask case with you everywhere or think that waving a walking stick at anyone under the age of 40 who dared to come close was acceptable behaviour. 

I have to stop as I need to go to work and frankly I'm reliving memories that have been suppressed for a reason.

so you enjoyed it then?   great description :)

so go on then this is brewing, who's in one, who likes them (best not to mention clubs by name) ....

Leon - out of interest how many members were using digital? 

not sure if this is any help but if you can find a local Facebook group it would be worth joining. I belong to a private group called The Shutter Imps, I am one of the oldest as most are 25 - 35 year olds but as we all use digital it seems to work. 

"I don't like Jessops"

"Jessops are this"

"Jessops are that"

I left.

LOL!

Thanks for a refreshingly honest description of many photography clubs, bitingly honest with sharp observations; I am still chuckling as I type.

A few points.......

I wont join any club for exactly the same reasons, In the past I tried very hard to explain to  comittee members of two organisations, that if they didn't make welcome and recruit new, fresh members they would fold.

The first, a woodturning and woodworking exhibition went into liquidation and closed the next year.....The second is still struggling:

I agree too about the, complainers, the Rosette Collectors and the sweaty model evenings (never did a photography one but have painted and drawn many nudes in my time )

I must take you to task a little about, walking sticks, toilet stops and gas masks........age sir....is and will ( with increasing rapidity) catch up with your good self......raised blood pressure, medications and age related afflictions affect everyone eventually, regular loo stops become essential (unless wearing Tenna Pads ;-)

With all you morning walks along the beach and healthy living it wont happen for some time....but one day ;-)

I just thank God for this amazing Forum....all friends, regardless of age and milky water ;-)

FUJI

• Like 1

We have probably all belonged to clubs and groups at some point. I know in my experiences that people are drawn to others by similar traits and interests. In one such group (non camera related) what was known as 'the clique' of the group actually viewed the rest of us as...the clique!

I would hate to join a camera club, I dont think I could think of anything more 'competetive' to join other than a sporting club of some type. I'm happy to learn through a friendly medium such as this, we can 'compete' to some level through the POTW and the monthly theme.

I'm with fuji on the P breaks and T breaks, and BP's view on clubs also made me smile :)