Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

So, what Photo Mags, if any, do you read?

DaveS

Although I subscribe to two astronomy magazines, I don't as yet, subscribe to any photo mags.

However, I do buy a copy of Photoplus (Canon Edition) each month, and sometimes a copy of Amateur Photographer, if something in the content is of interest to me

Dave

I have not bought photo magazines for decades since they got too expensive and I found one well known one kept recycling the same articles every four or five years just with different pictures, the text being identical. The Internet has made them redundant anyway since more information is now available to those who know how to Google for it, plus forums cater for those who want to enter competitions or post photo's for criticism.

What has not happened yet, unless I have missed it, is free downloadable photo mags on the web?  In my other hobby the subscription based societies are starting to be hit by free online journals having lesser publishing costs compared to printed material.  However I suppose that is because these were publications of non profit making organisations anyway, whereas photo mags are publications of profit making publishing companies who certainly don't want to do anything for free. As an example of what is available for free in other hobbies scroll down this link:-

http://www.cactusexplorers.org.uk/journal6.htm

Maybe we will eventually see such free photo mags on the Web?

As to newspapers I only buy the Saturday FT.

You can get far more comprehensive TV programme guides off the Web Fuji, for Freeview, Freesat, Virgin and Sky without having to buy a Sunday paper:-

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/default.asp?gridSpan=06:00

Also most modern TV's with a menu system show programme guides more comprehensive than the newspapers anyway.

used to buy 4 every month, about £20 worth. but the following year when I realised that they tend to repeat them selves I stopped. buy the odd one, maybe 2-3 over the year, but use the net for info now.

mind at the time they helped and taught me a lot as a beginner and I have passed a load on to other beginners.

Geoff

ps, re-dave w- there are loads of free downloads for photo mags, some are available in this country but there is a lot from asia & usa, all in English.

Edited by geodar

The problem with downloadable photo magazines is that unlike print versions, they would include digital photos with infinite reproducability. When you see what is charged nowadays for so-called stock photographs, you can see why magazines would have a terrible time providing pictures.

I only normally buy Photography magazine when they are out of date from the market.I can get them for about a £ depending on if they have a disc with them or not.and they aren't very much out of date.

I bought a thick mag "50 Photo Projects" for £! a couple of months ago. it would have been £7.99 before.
The only time that I pay full price is when I am on holiday and want something to read at night.

Edited by NannyFerret

I agree that the information, and more, is all available on the web, but do I enjoy reading a good technical book (I don't read story books), or magazine from the comfort of an armchair (or out in the garden on a relaxer chair in the summer), as opposed the staring at a screen.

Each to his/her own I say, and if you prefer to read from the web, then why not.

One thing that is apparent from this 'thread', is that that magazine and newspaper publishers, are not going to be getting many customers from TIPF members :rofl:

Dave

Edited by DaveS