Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

still sounds better than digital

vanguard

i took these shots using an old russian 135mm jupiter lens on a canon 40d. i think the lens was about 60 odd years old. and would only focus at 33 inches from the end of the lens due to the distance between the sensor and the back of the lens being wrong. so there was alot of messing about with the set, but i think it was worth the effort.

206n3g2.jpg

2premir.jpg

Well done you for having a go with a vintage lens......two fantastic shots too that both demonstrate what they are capable of, even if after a little working out of whatever limits they might have.

I'm a big fan of vintage JUPITER lenses, they produce the goods nearly every time.

More please.

FUJI

19 minutes ago, FUJI said:

Well done you for having a go with a vintage lens......two fantastic shots too that both demonstrate what they are capable of, even if after a little working out of whatever limits they might have.

I'm a big fan of vintage JUPITER lenses, they produce the goods nearly every time.

More please.

FUJI

yep there just something about these old lenses.

Just now, vanguard said:

its a sansui sr222 mk2

Hells Teeth - now that is not only a rock solid bit of kit but it takes me back to some very fond memories. My very first record deck was a Sansui SR212 and it seeded a life long love affair with vinyl that is still strong today. I have a Rega Planar 3 with the RB300 - its a good few years old but I still love it. 

8 minutes ago, Clicker said:

Nicely executed Van ... A bit like vinyl and film ... Vintage lens are getting increasingly popular .. ..and making a comeback..:yesFor some ... They never really went away ...

well i am a bit anti digital lol i think both have their places.

One of my biggest problems with the Vinyl  ( and it was never going to get better ) is the volume of space required  to store them ... That said  I still have all of the them even though they are rarely played now.. Must be thousands  of them , stored in nearly every room ...    I am emotionally attached to them though :lol:

3 minutes ago, Black Pearl said:

Hells Teeth - now that is not only a rock solid bit of kit but it takes me back to some very fond memories. My very first record deck was a Sansui SR212 and it seeded a life long love affair with vinyl that is still strong today. I have a Rega Planar 3 with the RB300 - its a good few years old but I still love it. 

i'm not really audio geek but alot of my mates are and one of them was selling it. best 40 quid i've spent in years and its a lovely bit of kit mate. i nearly had a melt down when the wife dropped the stylus and damaged it. ended up get a eye watering expensive replacement stylus of the same mate. no idea what make but it sound brilliant. lol

5 minutes ago, Clicker said:

One of my biggest problems with the Vinyl  ( and it was never going to get better ) is the volume of space required  to store them ... That said  I still have all of the them even though they are rarely played now.. Must be thousands  of them , stored in nearly every room ...    I am emotionally attached to them though :lol:

i couldnt part with mine, not that i've got many. they're a Sunday afternoon treat :D

Being brought up on shellac 78s, wind-up gramophones and boxes of needles, I too appreciate a decent bit of Hi-Fi gear, back in the 60s I had a friend who could afford the very best in from Marantz? Plus vinyl, mostly classical or jazz, he used too loan the equally expensive magazines he collected. I learned through them to make incredible sounding speakers using heavy ceramic sewer pipe, and boxes with a variety of baffles, I still have a couple in the attic, which still work via an amplifier/turntable.

One of my biggest regrets was passing on to my son, a pair af heavy Bose speakers, purchased via eBay, from a University club, the sound they produce is just magical' and to think, I gave them up for my cheapy....surround sound, which works, but doesn't have that special something.

Because of hearing aids I can't use earphones now, but the ones I wear now, are excellent for music......I do my best to keep up with contemporary music, but find most of it far too reliant on electronics, and too much emphasis on the percussion.....I have a very eclectic taste in music, except perhaps for progressive jazz.

See what you've gone and done Van?   Stirred up all kinds of audio memories.......Thanks!

FUJI

13 hours ago, vanguard said:

well i am a bit anti digital lol i think both have their places.

See I love technology so I'm happy to move with the times and use advancements as and when they are an advantage. Day-to-day I stream music to my Hi-Fi via a Squeezebox that pulls music from a NAS drive with thousands of albums on it. I will only bung a bit of vinyl on if I have the time to sit and more importantly the opportunity to be uninterrupted - a rare and elusive thing. That said I'm a bit of a radio fan so most of the time whether out in the car working or just pottering around the house I'll switch between Radio Two and Classic FM depending on who's shows are on. 

On the subject of radio - in the house I don't typically use my main system for listening as I have a Tivoli Model One which I bought shortly after they came out in 2000 that I absolutely adore. It has a gloriously smooth manual tuning dial, a single long-throw driver (no fancy-pants stereo here) and a hand made cabinet. No DAB, no BlueTooth, no presets even just a fabulous sound...

MODEL ONE.jpg

3 minutes ago, kev7d said:

Sounds better than digital? Is that just a myth? :) A genuine question.  

Yes and no.

Yes it was in the past when digital tended to be a little harsh and people had just gone from spinning records to listening to CD's on cheap players. There is also a bit of nostalgia getting in the mix which made people believe vinyl was better sounds - different sounding would be a better way to describe it.

No it isn't really these days as we now have access to hi-res audio, very sophisticated DAC circuitry and a mature industry that has learned how to extract the very best from the one's and zero's. 

Vinyl is making a bit of a resurgence and don't get me wrong it is nice to listen to on a good deck but interestingly CD players are dying rapidly as more and more people - audiophiles included - switch to streaming components to listen to their music. I have Hi-Fi Choice delivered each month and it is streaming players that have been the main focus for a little while now. I can't recall the last time I listened to a CD - bet its over a year - and my computer doesn't even have an optical drive as I have no use for one. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The first is a winner in my book :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

[Edit; Just noticed that the EXIF shows them as being shot on a 7D, not the 40D. It is over 3 years ago so easy enough to get mixed up]

i stand corrected. thank you :) funny thing is i loved my old 40D until it died. and i just couldn't  get on with the 7D so sold it on quick. maybe i hoped i'd taken it with my old 40D ;)

1 hour ago, Black Pearl said:

See I love technology so I'm happy to move with the times and use advancements as and when they are an advantage. Day-to-day I stream music to my Hi-Fi via a Squeezebox that pulls music from a NAS drive with thousands of albums on it. I will only bung a bit of vinyl on if I have the time to sit and more importantly the opportunity to be uninterrupted - a rare and elusive thing. That said I'm a bit of a radio fan so most of the time whether out in the car working or just pottering around the house I'll switch between Radio Two and Classic FM depending on who's shows are on. 

On the subject of radio - in the house I don't typically use my main system for listening as I have a Tivoli Model One which I bought shortly after they came out in 2000 that I absolutely adore. It has a gloriously smooth manual tuning dial, a single long-throw driver (no fancy-pants stereo here) and a hand made cabinet. No DAB, no BlueTooth, no presets even just a fabulous sound...

MODEL ONE.jpg

loving the retro look.

16 hours ago, Clicker said:

I think that if digital had never happened, we would be playing vinyl that was much smaller than it used to be, with stereo equipment that could stack platters without ANY harm or damage. Either that, or there would have been a way to record the vinyl to a top quality medium with easy access to individual tracks. Even my last incarnation cassette deck - a Yamaha KX580 - could search at high speed for the gap between tracks, play a few seconds, and continue until you pressed Play. That was 20 years ago - think what might have been achieved since?

One thing I can recommend to my fellow Mac users here is an application called Hear. It comes with a zillion presets but those aren't the main use I've made : you can transform your computer's speakers by widening the stereo separation and ambience and 3D sound stage, and all kinds of similar things. Once you've set it up, you can quit the app and that particular setting will apply to all audio on your Mac (until you relaunch and switch it off). I spent an hour or so setting up what I considered to be a 'vinyl equivalent' sound and that's what I hear all the time. One small thing - you can still apply different graphic equaliser settings in iTunes, but they will simply modify the overall setting from Hear rather than replace it.

Digital and online radio has been mentioned in this excellent thread....( Thanks Van! ) 

I mentioned being brought up on 78 rpm shellac records......what will amaze you is....if you tune into ....Radio Dismuke.....via the Radio.net app (tons of stuff on it to suit all tastes)

Radio Dismuke was started by an enthusiast for the long forgotten 78 shelac records of the 1920s-1930s.......should you care to listen, to these re-mastered works, you will be truly amazed at the sheer enthusiasm and musical skills of the orchestra's and singers......you will require a little while to tune yourself in so to speak...._but give it a go, you won't be dissapinted.

I put listening to it on a Parr with BP using a film camera or Chris, shuffling through his vinyl on his Dansette portable, or Korky, tiffling with his clip-on cassette player.....all have there place.

Give ....Radio  Dismuke ...a go, then  tell me what you think, give yourself time, use headphones or close your eyes as you listen.....you obviously won't like everything they play....it also depends upon time if day and presenter.

FUJI

P.S. Mods should we move the audio part of this thread away from Dav's photographs?

54 minutes ago, FUJI said:

Digital and online radio has been mentioned in this excellent thread....( Thanks Van! ) 

I mentioned being brought up on 78 rpm shellac records......what will amaze you is....if you tune into ....Radio Dismuke.....via the Radio.net app (tons of stuff on it to suit all tastes)

Radio Dismuke was started by an enthusiast for the long forgotten 78 shelac records of the 1920s-1930s.......should you care to listen, to these re-mastered works, you will be truly amazed at the sheer enthusiasm and musical skills of the orchestra's and singers......you will require a little while to tune yourself in so to speak...._but give it a go, you won't be dissapinted.

I put listening to it on a Parr with BP using a film camera or Chris, shuffling through his vinyl on his Dansette portable, or Korky, tiffling with his clip-on cassette player.....all have there place.

Give ....Radio  Dismuke ...a go, then  tell me what you think, give yourself time, use headphones or close your eyes as you listen.....you obviously won't like everything they play....it also depends upon time if day and presenter.

FUJI

P.S. Mods should we move the audio part of this thread away from Dav's photographs?

i think you'll appreciate this

15dpbvm.jpg

Archived