Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Books on Lenses

I hope this is the right place for this.

Is anybody here familiar with any of Sidney Ray's books on lenses?  And if so do you have any recommendations (or indeed suggestions of books by others)? I'm looking for something that goes into a bit more than the usual generalities. Most photography books skim over the physics, which most physics books only really handle simple lenses, and perhaps achromats and apochromats.

9 minutes ago, jtappin said:

I hope this is the right place for this.

Is anybody here familiar with any of Sidney Ray's books on lenses?  And if so do you have any recommendations (or indeed suggestions of books by others)? I'm looking for something that goes into a bit more than the usual generalities. Most photography books skim over the physics, which most physics books only really handle simple lenses, and perhaps achromats and apochromats.

Hi, J

Could I point you towards the Video Presentation on lenses I posted only the other day.......I think I called the post.......

'All about lenses.........long but potentially very useful......

'The presenter covers all there is to know about lenses, in a one and a half hour presentation......I watched it in 20 minute sessions.

FUJI

16 hours ago, FUJI said:

'The presenter covers all there is to know about lenses, in a one and a half hour presentation......I watched it in 20 minute sessions.

TWO and a half hours. You might prefer a book you can pick up and study at leisure. Sadly I don't have any ideas (I'm not interested in the physics except lightly) but there must be some out there? Try Amazon, eBay, or your old friend Google.

Thanks for your comments. 

I'm really not at all keen on video tutorials, and I'd seen a reference to one of Ray's books in another tech book.

Since the one referenced was on Alibris for less than 1 pound, I think it's well worth the risk..

Well      That sounds like a"result" to me  I am intrigued to know more about  how and why you are so interested in what sounds like the in depth physics  of  optics .... Obviously Photography  is a reason but that itself doesn't necessarily  mean  one needs to know precise physics ... Do you have a scientific background.... Sorry  I don't want this to sound like the Spanish Inquisition JT.   Just getting to know ya !!!;)

11 hours ago, Clicker said:

I am intrigued to know more about  how and why you are so interested in what sounds like the in depth physics  of  optics .... Obviously Photography  is a reason but that itself doesn't necessarily  mean  one needs to know precise physics ... Do you have a scientific background.... Sorry  I don't want this to sound like the Spanish Inquisition JT.   Just getting to know ya !!!;)

I am a physicist, my field is the heliosphere. Inter alia, I'm interested to relate photographic lenses to what our optical engineers do with coronagraphs & heliospheric imagers.

Ooh ever wished you'd never asked .... :lol: ...just kidding.

It was obvious that you came from a scientific background though ...   The only thing I can be sure of relating to the sun at the moment is that there has been precious little of it visible from my neck of the woods these past few months !! :no    If you find anything that could remedy that .. there's a few of us who'd be very grateful . :yes   Looking forward to seeing your photographs  .. especially any related to your sphere  of interest .