Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Yesterday's experience.

Yesterday was an interesting day. It was quite hot here, but it was mainly the strong winds that were a problem as far as fires were concerned. Obviously there was more going on in both Tasmania, and New South Wales, and there were some ongoing fire situations here in Victoria, but not close to us. As usual we were monitoring the CFA web site, (Country Fire Authority, and bear in mind the only firefighters we have are all volunteers!), and emergency services with our scanner radio. There was a fire started in Wedderburn, the other side of the town from where we are, and it 'took off' into bushland area. Roads were closed and fire services were deployed there for several hours. When this had cleared we sort of settled down for the evening. We were just watching tele when I got an emergency warning message through on my mobile. It was a 'watch and act' advice, indicating a going fire at Skinner's Flat, which is very close to our block. We rushed outside and could see smoke, not very heavy, but enough!:

001a-1_zpseb71976a.jpg

Sorry about the sun flare, but we didn't have time to muck around! The wind was bringing the smoke directly over us, so we simply had to do something sensible. As already explained we hitched up the camper trailer, collected essential items and documents and left. We had heard in the earlier incident that the fire front was travelling about 30 metres per minute, being pushed along by the strong winds. In this case the fire front we were looking at would have taken about 10 minutes maximum to reach us. We headed off down to the highway and this is another view across the fields:

008a_zps4257dcd9.jpg

We travelled up the highway to a point where we had a better overview, but still had time to safely retreat into Wedderburn should we need to. This is looking back towards our property, which I have marked by the arrow. You can see the bush between our clear area and the potential approach area of the fire:

013a-1_zpsd4fc65b5.jpg

Looking the other way the smoke seemed to be lessening a bit, and it was further away than we expected to see:

016a_zps76c00b90.jpg

It turned out this was not the Skinner's Flat fire, which by then had been controlled. After a while we returned home when we considered it safe, but we still had a pretty smokey sunset:

020a_zps2544d19f.jpg

We remained vigilant the rest of the evening, no alcohol, no total 'zoning out', vehicles left at the ready just outside the house, but were thankfully not needed.

This morning we had a sort of 'debrief' over coffee, just reviewing how and what we did and collected to go with us. Apparently the two most neglected items are medications, and mobile phone car chargers. We had those along with dog food, spare clothes, essential documents. We decided we didn't pack some of the things effectively, but didn't do too bad. Spent some time today refining the packaging, as we have another two 40 odd degree days coming up! We have designated a 'safe area' actually on our block, but it would depend on the circumstances and severity of any future threat, whether I am there or at work, leaving hubby on his own.

Thanks for all your good wishes and thoughts, hope I won't be doing this again this Summer at least!

As a footnote it is suggested that we do have a firebug in our area, as both fires referred to were potentially deliberately lit. Nice!!!

I can see why you have to keep on your toes. I hope the winds drop and you will finally be able to relax.

It's terrible that someone can start fires deliberately and put peoples lives and homes in danger.

I hope if they catch them, that they will get a severe punishment.

Keep safe. We're routing for you.

wow Kobione, sounds like you had a hell of a day ! im glad you all and your property is safe and hopefully you wont need to put your emergency plan into action again !

cant believe you actually have idiots out there that think its a good idea to light fires deliberatly ! <shakes head in despair>

Archived