Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Wedding shots

Leon

Think I'd be temped to life the shadows a little more on the cake to give it a lighter airier feel and warm the WB a touch.

Second shot is a touch hot in the highlights, I'd pull them back a touch to give a little more definition.

At these sizes both need to be sharpened significantly so I'd imagine the full sized ones do too.

I like what you've done with the first one. The second one I think I'd have (1) had them both look at the camera and (2) move around so the backdrop on the left hand side extends across the entire background.

I would have loved to, the table was stuffed away in a doorway, probably 30 people around be with phones also taking the same picture.... the one with the cake I was crouched down  in the seated area so I could get the DJ booth lit curtain to get the effect...

They are a nice looking couple Leon.

It's fairly obvious that you were a guest standing to the left of the official photographer, hence the rather distracting shadows that probably did not appear in his shot which would be more facing the couple directly but you take what you can get and it is a pleasant shot.:)

I would have loved to, the table was stuffed away in a doorway, probably 30 people around be with phones also taking the same picture....

Leon are you there as a guest or as a paid photographer?

If this is the event you talk about in another thread I think the main problem is your not taking control and whilst it is not easy you need to learn to push the phone grabbers out of the way.

If this is the event you talk about in another thread I think the main problem is your not taking control and whilst it is not easy you need to learn to push the phone grabbers out of the way.

A loud excuse me with a broad smile might work if you feel a bit awkward about asking people to move. 

I can't find where I read it, but I think I saw somewhere that Leon said he WASN'T the official photographer?, which explains a lot - why the couple aren't looking at him, for a start.

I was there as the "photographer"  but if i'm honest I don't think the bride was too bothered, as I said in the first thread there was a lot of people at the same time taking the cake cutting photo's, as for taking control, quite a difficult thing to do with an army of phone toggers there... 

I was there as the "photographer"  but if i'm honest I don't think the bride was too bothered, as I said in the first thread there was a lot of people at the same time taking the cake cutting photo's, as for taking control, quite a difficult thing to do with an army of phone toggers there... 

I'm sorry Leon but that does not cut it, you would have the same problems at a full wedding and you need to learn to take control, set the images up tell the phone users to stay out of the way while you take the shot and you are happy for them to take as many pics of your set up as they want after  you have finished. If you cannot harden up enough to do this then my advise is stop away from wedding photography.

In my earlier post I presumed you were a guest but it seems it was a complete role reversal the iphone user took control of the situation and you acted like the guest..not a good thing to let happen as the official photographer. As to the bride not being bothered and someone who has done quite a few weddingshe would have had a talking to about if she wants quality photographs then she follows my instructions not her guests.:)

by the way if you ever do a full wedding and do not have a assistant it is a good idea to rope in a bossy relative who knows most of the guests to help organize the group shots, I once did this and she was a star.:)

The way of the modern world Im afraid Leon.........in the days of film, a good camera and lenses were for just the few who could afford them, mainly pros and keen rich amateurs, you only saw the odd box camera and one pro with his gear, organising proceedings.  Back then too, folks were in awe of the photographer, were also more polite, so did as he or she told them.

Now, as you discovered, the phone cameras take precedent, unless direct orders are given, but you can't do that without upsetting someone's auntie, or cousin. I felt the same at two events I was asked to cover as photographer, one as a favour when a pro let the organiser down at the last minute and the other a 50 th wedding anniversary for a good mate. I began confidently enough, then was looked upon as a bit of a nuisance when I focused on groups and individuals, they would stop dancing, or pose in silly ways ruining the shots, I did manage very usable shots at both but made a mental note not to do it again. On the other hand a wedding shoot as second photographer to catch what the pro couldn't when pre occupied. It was for a cousin and went exceptionally well for two good reasons....First the pro accepted me, and proved more than helpful, he said it took a great deal of pressure of him.

The second, is that I was announced and introduced  to all the guests as they arrived at church, so most just let me get on with it, I enjoyed being a family guest too, my reward, was the lens I purchased as best compromise, it one if my favourites.

FUJI

On 25 October 2015 at 12:06, Leon said:

Leon think about your reputation, the bride might not be bothered but parents are and they are the ones who will expect more.

Below is a 21st birthday where I was being paid to attended and with almost all /any set pieces I really had to get in close to stop the phone grabbers taking over. I might have pissed off a few of the guests but the family are happy with the results and I have been offered 2 weddings since (said no to both).

becks-5.jpg

I dont think I would ever undertake to be a nominated photographer at something as important as a wedding Leon. Too much at stake for the couple if my 'expertise' lets me down...which in my case it would!

I agree with all the above. thanks for the comments, I WON'T be doing any more :)

or Christenings....

I think if you are under pressure then it takes the enjoyment away from your hobby.

I did casual shots at my sons wedding evening do, and my daughters wedding pics as they only wanted a record of the event.

As Toms MS made him very pale, I really struggled with some of the outside shots as it was difficult to get the exposure right for his complextion.

Sadly he died four years ago, but my daughter still has her photo's to remind her of the happiness that she brought to Tom that day. 

An internet friend wrote me a guide of what to do, which helped me a great deal, and it helped me that I knew a lot of the families and friends.

I would never have done it for anyone who wasn't close family though.

I agree with all the above. thanks for the comments, I WON'T be doing any more :)

or Christenings....

I do not blame you and have to admit although very competent at them they started to suck my love of photography form me and I stopped doing them after eight of them apart from my own children's and concentrated on my private portrait sitting at the time.:)

Archived