Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The Imperial Eagle

kev7d

Selected from the original and placed on a black background?

Yep, I isolated the image from the original background which was not up to much. I thought the golden colours would look better against a darker background.

*Trivia alert*

I have a cap badge of a Regiment my dad belonged to at the end of WWII, The Royal Scots Greys have this eagle with the single word 'Waterloo' underneath.

*Trivia alert*

I have a cap badge of a Regiment my dad belonged to at the end of WWII, The Royal Scots Greys have this eagle with the single word 'Waterloo' underneath.

I certainly don't think it is trivia Denis, but very interesting.

It does not surprise me that a depiction of one of the eagles can be found on the Greys cap badge. The eagles were very esteemed in the French Army, and their loss would be a real embarrassment. The Eagle of the 45th French infantry was captured by a Sergeant Charles Ewart during the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo on the 18th June 1815.

Here is the middle section of a very well known painting of the charge of the Greys at Waterloo that was painted in 1881. This painting is currently on display at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

17986364444_7475d20fd8_c.jpg

Wow..what an evocative painting!

It is evocative Denis. The actual painting is far better than my attempt to capture a little piece of it too. I could not come anywhere close to the real work of art. 

I certainly don't think it is trivia Denis, but very interesting.

It does not surprise me that a depiction of one of the eagles can be found on the Greys cap badge. The eagles were very esteemed in the French Army, and their loss would be a real embarrassment. The Eagle of the 45th French infantry was captured by a Sergeant Charles Ewart during the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo on the 18th June 1815.

Here is the middle section of a very well known painting of the charge of the Greys at Waterloo that was painted in 1881. This painting is currently on display at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.

17986364444_7475d20fd8_c.jpg

I have never seen a painting before - from pre-photography days - where depth of field is used. Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

This painting looks familiar, I've been to the Leeds Armouries, back in 2003/4 maybe they had it then.

I think it is on loan to the Armouries at the moment. It is quite a famous painting though.

Archived