Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A couple of naff shots.

JohnP

I spent ages trying to photograph Silver-washed Fritillary butterflies last Thursday, they just weren't being helpful. When I took these shots I was up to my chest in brambles which were poking through my shirt...  not nice... :no

IMG_3837_(3).thumb.jpg.33c1559679548f711

IMG_3838_(3).thumb.jpg.ef5ce3b791d87f485

How does the saying go ..".No Pain no gain"    ;)

I wouldn't beat yourself up over the shots though John ... I  would have been pleased with them especially   considering  the obstacles. They stand out against the foliage and are just a beautiful colour .

Actually ....I like that a lot better John ...If I were to be uItra picky .... might have cropped it even a bit tighter so the  butterfly was off- centre to the left a bit more .. I think the  contrast of the hard stone makes a super foil to the  fragile wings of the insect ...and for good measure  I would just saturate the couple of complementary orange petals (?)   that match the colour of the wings. The shadows under the wings add a nice depth too . There ... You  can see I know  next to nothing about  insects  and I come to an image from a perspective that  is governed mostly by the aesthetic  rather than  the technical correctness . You may have  been brambled today but I'd say you 've got a worthwhile image there ..  but hey ... it 's just my opinion ...;):)

I've attached a version  just to show you where I might have cropped it ...  I hope you don't mind..IMG_3853_(2).jpg.cf7f664043dc66e6dfc160d

Cheers

Polly

Thank you Polly!  As you have said you know next to nothing about insects here are a few facts about Silver-washed Fritillary butterflies. Firstly they are the largest butterfly found in the British Isles, unlike almost all other butterflies they don't lay their eggs on the leaves of the plant the caterpillars feed on. The caterpillars feed on Common Dog Violets and when the adult female is ready to lay her eggs she looks around for the violet plants and then lays eggs on the nearest large tree about a metre above the ground, when the eggs hatch the caterpillars descend to the the woodland floor and find the Common Dog Violets on which to feed. The adults feed mainly on the nectar of Bramble blossom & Thistle flowers- two of their favourite nectar sources.

Here's a couple photos I took last summer, this is the unusual Valesina form of the female Silver-washed Fritillary. Typically only between 5% and 15% of the females in a colony are of this form, and at one time they were confined to the southern coastal counties of Dorset, Hampshire and West Sussex. In recent years however, the Valesina form appears to have been spreading further northwards, though whether this is purely the result of natural expansion, or has been influenced by the deliberate release of captive-bred butterflies, is unclear. I took these shots in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.

156682772.jpg

156677452.jpg

Oh my .... What a beauty! I'm so glad I showed my ignorance... Stunning images ...simply stunning! 

Thank you so much for the lesson too ..most enlightening ... Appreciate your reply on both counts  :)

Archived