Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Flash gun

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative that will work with my D2X?  I have a jessops flash, but it doesn't seem to work ttl it only ever flashes at full volume for want of a better word!!!

Really don't want to spend too much as it won't get enough use to warrant spending the money on a speedlite!!

Thanks

I opted to go manual with flash from the offset. I use a Yongnuo with power settings from full to 1/128th. You have to think about it more but at under £50 they are powerful and come with built in radio trigger. I have a pair of triggers and an on camera controller from which I can control the zoom and power of the flash unit without having to go to wherever the flash is.

I opted to go manual with flash from the offset. I use a Yongnuo with power settings from full to 1/128th. You have to think about it more but at under £50 they are powerful and come with built in radio trigger. I have a pair of triggers and an on camera controller from which I can control the zoom and power of the flash unit without having to go to wherever the flash is.

Thanks Graham, I'll have to have a look at them and the triggers and on camera controller sounds pretty cool!!

Sorry as have always kept dedicated flash on my camera's, as with manual flashes you are always calculating light levels, exposure, etc etc, when I know that ETTL can also cause major issues, the dedication to flash can give you better control over certain modes within the camera, so Flash Exposure, where you can meter up to 3 stops with the dedication, 

I know money is always tight when your looking at new gear / upgrades, but I have found that saving that little harder can get you want, rather than something you might find hard to use 

Steve

I don't find manual flash hard to use. I grew up using film cameras and manual flash, there was no such thing as TTL flash back then. I personally would not pay nearly as much for a flash gun as a camera body just for TTL. Manual flash is like anything else, just a matter of getting used to your gear. For the same reason, I now mainly use manual exposure too. Only time I don't is in a snapshot situation, like a party or such where I set the camera into 'P' mode just so I don't have to think about it.

As always, there is no right or wrong, manual is just my choice.

Think I might keep an eye for a decent one on ebay and work a bit harder with my current jessops flash in the meantime.  I really don't want to spend a lot because it just won't get the use to justify the outlay!!

Any cheap alternatives anyone knows of still appreciated though

Hi

As long as the trigger voltage is not an issue there are a huge number of the old none dedicated Flashguns with Auto exposure options that used to work well in the film days so should work equally as well in the digital age.  My old Metz 45 gave faultless results, as long as you recognise the times when it would need a little help, but that the same with TTL systems as well.

Look to the second hand market for an older well regarded auto flash, from the likes of Metz, Sunpak, Vivitar, National etc. Just be careful and check the trigger voltage is not too high for the delicate digital cameras of today ;)

Paul

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't rely on finding a second-hand Nikon flash at a good price on eBay - they always go for silly money.  I know - I've looked often enough, in the hopes of finding one that I'm familiar with.  I use one SB600 and one Jessops cheapie - this latter had no manual and I cannot find anything online, so it's always a matter of guessing. 

I was relying on using the Commander mode on my Nikon, but I'm hoping that having bought some Yongnuo controller/receivers, life will become a lot simpler for me, and they do all the hard work and it doesn't matter whether it's a Nikon flash or not.  Well, in theory - still getting to grips with them (as well as saving up for even more rechargeable batteries - a total of fourteen required for both flashes and three Yongnuo thingies!)