Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Updating Windows 8

JohnP

Again what on earth are you all doing with your computers where an upgrade to the OS makes such a difference and you feel you can't get used to it or worse even use it?

You still turn it on with the power button - off with a click or two of the mouse.

You click on a icon/tile to start a program and click the x to shut it down.

You right click a file to copy and right click it again to paste - or just drag it and let go.

Hell - I switch between a Mac at home and Windows at work every day but fundamentally they're the same - I know which I prefer but I don't have to think twice switching between the two.

I switch between Mac, windowsXPpro and windows7 and windows8 - I find win8 the most frustrating. Start up has more screens to get passed and as I said earlier the 'pop out' bar is annoyingly pointless.  

Start up has more screens to get passed and as I said earlier the 'pop out' bar is annoyingly pointless.

More screens? Apart from the password mine starts directly to the desktop, in 15 seconds. 

pauln replied as I was typing this. It seems this thread could run and run, we all have different opinions and experiences with W8. Personally, I love it and have never suffered any issues whatsoever, I will continue to upgrade/update as and when they're available.

I will just add one thing, as said before I don't touch the tiles section of W8, there really is absolutely no need on a none touch computer. 

Again what on earth are you all doing with your computers where an upgrade to the OS makes such a difference and you feel you can't get used to it or worse even use it?

For me its a case of getting older :)

then the tiles, then onto the desktop

I'm guessing you haven't updated to 8.1 which starts directly to the desktop?

I've just looked for the option to ditch the password but can't find it either. I'm guessing it's in place so you're logged on to the Microsoft network and can sync all your files using Sky Drive, not sure how that helps when you don't have a network connection.

I know that all you techies, Apple Nuts and super rich will take me to task.....but I just can't afford to replace all that software including very late MS OFFICE never mind all my photo software.

Fuji - there's an office suite that Apple used to do and last updated in 2001 and stopped all support for in 2005 : currently there's an Open Office suite (and a sister suite LibreOffice) which not only will open its files, but will also handle all of MS Office, create new Office files and save them in Office format. PC or Mac (just make sure you download the right one!). 

So you're not stuffed even if something later than Windows XP (which dates from 2001) can't open MS Office. Though as Phil asks, what version of Windows can't handle all flavours of Office?

I'm guessing you haven't updated to 8.1 which starts directly to the desktop?

I've just looked for the option to ditch the password but can't find it either. I'm guessing it's in place so you're logged on to the Microsoft network and can sync all your files using Sky Drive, not sure how that helps when you don't have a network connection.

updated to 8.1 a while ago, or at least the laptop is set to auto update and it often does,  not seen any options to go straight to the desktop but I will have another look.

UPDATE.

I took my desktop tower into the independant repairers at lunch time yesterday, they diagnosed the old drive ( 5 years) it passed, but I had already explained that I wanted to start afresh.

They cloned the drive, fitted the new 500 gig replacement, tested everything, I have gained oodles of space, start up at the right speed, and RAM improved by increasing the virtual memory ( whatever that is)

The old drive, will be kept as a valuable Backup.

I collected the refreshed machine at 3 pm today.....cost? £186.99 .....a lot cheaper than a new of used PC.....no software to buy and all working smoothly, as it should.

On advice, I am Defragging the new drive, because I have so much on there........that will take a good deal of time but will be worth it. I just need to be patient.

I can't wait to give Photoshop a good run at speed now.

FUJI

not seen any options to go straight to the desktop...

I wasn't given an option, it started directly to the desktop after update, and it was the same on 2 other family laptops I've updated. Not sure what your problem is then I'm afraid.