Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The New Camera has arrived.

Brian

Well, I've got my new camera and I must thank all the people from TIPF for the help and guidance they gave me in the decision of what to buy.

I ended up with the Canon 70D and a couple of Sigma lenses.

My first photo trip was to a local park, complete with lake and more ducks than you could imagine, none of which would stay still for me. I must say the results were completely underwhelming.

The most noticeable fault that spoiled an otherwise good shot is camera shake. Perhaps it's an age related thing, but a bit disappointing! So many new things to learn!

But I present to you my firstborn image, The Ugly Duckling. (Which is really a gosling.)

post-850-0-71687900-1397949297.jpg

A good image Brian.

You get me wondering here.......New Camera?..........Camera Shake?

That doesn't seem to figure, if it's a brand new body and lenses, both should have built in stabilisation that is usually on by default as far as I know, so unless you are shooting at very low shutter speeds you shouldn't be having a problem.

FUJI

Exciting times, a new camera. 

How comes you can get so close to that chick? The Greylags at the lake the other day where keeping their babies right over the other side and out of the way. Not fair!

A good image Brian.

You get me wondering here.......New Camera?..........Camera Shake?

That doesn't seem to figure, if it's a brand new body and lenses, both should have built in stabilisation that is usually on by default as far as I know, so unless you are shooting at very low shutter speeds you shouldn't be having a problem.

FUJI

I'm afraid neither the 70d or the Sigma 24-70mm have stabilisation. 

Perhaps I should stop drinking!

Exciting times, a new camera. 

How comes you can get so close to that chick? The Greylags at the lake the other day where keeping their babies right over the other side and out of the way. Not fair!

Superglue!

The 70D is a superb camera - I use it now (I was possibly the first person in the UK to post an image online outside official websites - at least I have not seen any earlier than my first one!).

My lenses number 4. The 100mm macro, and the nifty fifty, neither of which are stabilized, and the other two are the Canon 18-135 IS STM, and the Sigma 150-500 OS HSM. The image stabilsers one the latter two lens work very well - especially the Bigma, getting me shots I would never have managed hand held.

If you're finding camera shake an issue, try lifting the ISO to 200 or 400, thereby changing the shutter speed one or two stops faster respectively, assuming you're in AV mode.

Paul.

I've nothing to add to what others have said .. except .. TIPF has a maximum picture size of 1024 pixels for a reason! Your picture suffers at the size you posted, because we are virtually 'pixel peeping'. The unexpanded version looks great - the bokeh is slightly odd, is that water? but otherwise it's a really good capture :)

The problem as I see it - and I see it regularly - is you were using 100iso.

Why?

With modern sensors you can lift the iso way beyond 100 and still get amazing quality images. Personally I would far rather deal with a little added noise/reduced DR but have a sharp shot than get motion induced blur and have a shot that us ruined.

Canon bodies like most other brands have a fantastic auto iso feature that allows you to set a maximum iso you feel safe with and (possibly - this differs from brand to brand) a minimum shutter speed you'd like to use before the camera starts lifting the iso. With this feature running you can forget about camera shake to a very great extent and just shoot. 

If you're finding camera shake an issue, try lifting the ISO to 200 or 400, thereby changing the shutter speed one or two stops faster respectively, assuming you're in AV mode.

Paul.

I've nothing to add to what others have said .. except .. TIPF has a maximum picture size of 1024 pixels for a reason! Your picture suffers at the size you posted, because we are virtually 'pixel peeping'. The unexpanded version looks great - the bokeh is slightly odd, is that water? but otherwise it's a really good capture :)

The problem as I see it - and I see it regularly - is you were using 100iso.

Why?

I think the 100 iso thing is a leftover from a previous life of film, when 100 and lower gave better colour rendering. Perhaps a misconceived notion. I must confess I mostly use 100 unless forced to do otherwise. But not any more.

I must also confess that I've never paid much attention to picture size for our posts. I've been posting the biggest the forum would accept. I see now that this is not the best way to go about things.

Finally, I think a lot of the (perceived) camera shake is a mental thing. Bearing in mind that I've come from a point and shoot Coolpix to a camera that is as heavy as lead and feels like a brick!

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on myself, I've not even had it a week yet. 

Thank you all for your contributions.

Archived