Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Toned Cyanotype - Tulips

JMRead

Hello all,

After seeing a few of John Blakemore's Tulip pics I thought I must have a go myself, I like the way they look beautiful from before they open to when they gracefully disintegrate. This is a Cyanotype toned in wine Tannin on Canson Montval watercolour paper.

Cheers - Jim

post-896-0-30206400-1393582883.jpg

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your nice comment about the pic.

Cyanotype is a contact printing process from the 1840's, using 2 Iron based light sensitive chemicals, one a food additive allegedley in Irn Bru. Coat paper with the emulsion, put a full size neg on top, put in a glass frame leave in the sun for 20 mins, clear in water, blot and dry, and you have a blue print

Bleach the print slightly in washing Soda and then tone in wine Tannin to turn the blue darker and add some reddish/yellow tone. The process is very simple non toxic and the prints are

permanent.

Cheers - Jim

Well I might just as well be honest... no point in being otherwise. It does absolutely nothing for me, the world is full of glorious colourful flowers and I'm glad I don't see flowers this way... sorry. Please let's not fall out, it's best to speak one's mind.

Hello John,

I don't mind your comment at all, I would ask one thing of you though please do take a look at this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=john+blakemore+tulips&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GbsQU9e8HtCqhAfN_YCoAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=661 And if you ever come across John Blakemore's book 'Black and White Photography Workshop' do have a look through it.

I was entranced by John's Tulip pics, by working in B&W he realised that they become something more, their sinuous curves making the eye aware that they possess a beauty far beyond their colour.

My meagre effort sadly doesn't convey this.

Cheers - Jem

John Blakemore's work is new to me and after following your link I've got to say I'm gobsmacked. Some of the images are just beautiful.

I think part of it is in the 'seeing', having an artist's vision might be a better way of putting it. If, when you look at a tulip, all you see is a tulip, then it's probably best to take up cycling or competitive Scrabble.

Thanks for sharing the link, Jem - much appreciated.

Korky

P.S. I love the way that you've joined the forum and dared to be different - for me, your work is a breath of fresh air and all power to your elbow.

Hello John,

Ah well, I beg you not to shut it out completely if I may make a further suggestion, just three more photographers, Minor White, Paul Strand and Ansel Adams they are as chalk and cheese but you may find something to like in one or all.

Cheers - Jem

I too think you have been a breath of Fresh Air blowing through the draughty corridors of TIPFDOM.............I too like to experment, to go where others fear to tread.

I have come to the conclusion, that since taking up this photography lark, there are three kinds of photographer..............those who Take Photographs....Those who Make Photographs.................and those who both Take, then Make Photographs with an Artistic Eye, using whatever means possible to achieve an end result that pleases them....but can force the viewer to express strong opinions.

My new photographer mate REX is full of technical photographic expertise, but he just doesnt posess that Artistic edge, because of that we annoy each other to almost breaking point, but we generally agree to disagree over a COSTA coffee or a cup of tea at home.

I too was totally bowled over when I opened the link you forwarded.................Fantastic stuff!

FUJI

Hello Fuji,

Nice of you to say that thanks a lot :-) I used to visit an engineering company in Derby, the MD had bought three of John's woodland pics I recognised them straightaway as ones he'd made by Ambergate, even when I changed jobs and was nearby I used to pop in to see them, he's an amazing man. He and Paul Hill started the Derby/Trent University photographic courses.

I think the great thing about creating images in any medium is the journey through ones own development. I also think the majority of people on this site understand that and feel it their duty to help in any way they can with the development of others.

In these days of forum trolls and the cult of individualism we are very fortunate to have a site where one can actually experience it working as I have thanks to the suggestions I have received from members.

Cheers - Jem

Who is John Blakemore?

I do have to say that for me nature is a vibrant thing and so I find flowers in shades of mono kind of wrong to my own eyes, don't scream and shout, as I said 'to my eyes'...

However I also go along with the each to his own view, and I appreciate that we all have different taste...what a boring world it would be without our own individual preferences.

Hello Colin,

Thanks for your nice comment glad you like the picture.

As for the border I could coat the whole of the paper with the emulsion but what happens then is a bright line produced by the edges of the negative. What I do is to draw an oblong 1mm larger than the image size and then paint the emulsion just over the line so I end up with a solid and dark border. It also indicates that the print is a wet one and not an inkjet.

Cheers - Jim

I'm not sure on this, I like the image  but it's not something I'd want on my wall, looks old and past it's best.

just my opinion....

Interesting. My only negative reaction is that I really don't like tulips - waxy, unnatural, artificial looking things to my eyes; but that treatment makes them look entirely different :)

Archived