Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

The Globe Session

Martyn

I've not posted on TIPF for a while, not been well. I'm getting back up to speed and been down to the pub to photograph a new old time music session. The session leader asked me to take pics for a facebook page to help boost publicity, she says she has seen my pics and knows I will only publish what is best for the group.

The lighting in the room is very dim, hardly light enough to read a tune list on the table, but the walls and ceiling are scattered with a mixture of LED and halogen spotlights and florescent tubes. I shot in manual mode with the aperture wide open on my Nikon 18-105, 1/50 sec at iso 1600. The resulting RAW files were processed in Lightroom to increase exposure and tone down the background lights and reflections. The resultant images make the room look much lighter than it was.

I did also get to drink beer, play some fiddle and 5 string banjo; just too many hobbies all coming together in the same place!    :thumbup:

12819642593_df45714a20_b.jpg

12819567205_be359e32f5_b.jpg

12819644953_28c15446e8_b.jpg

12819646223_c8320a766c_b.jpg

12819981764_99a495af6e_b.jpg

12819648033_c09bbd2d9d_b.jpg

12819648913_c3937e4549_b.jpg

Some great potential there, Martyn, but a few of them are looking decidedly dark on my monitor.

Nos 1 & 3 are about right, but the others just seem to need a twiddle.

It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

That looks very much like my kind of evening, btw.

Korky

Hello Martyn,

I liked this one a lot the quiet concentration of the musicians and the dynamic figure, looks as though he's stamping his feet in time, in the centre. It's got a very painterly atmosphere about it.

Hope you don't mind me doing this; I made a layer copy of the original, lightened it using curves, made a Hide All Layer Mask, and used the Brush tool to do a bit of combining to take down the burnt highlights, made a Stamp Visible (SHIFT/CTRL/ALT + E) desaturated it a bit and then used Brightness/Contrast to finish it off.

Cheers - Jem

post-896-0-31789000-1393546319.jpg

That looks like it was a really good evening. Having photographed a similar event / location I can appreciate what you say about the room being dark.

A good set of pics which, for me, set the mood of the night well.

That looks like it was a really good evening. Having photographed a similar event / location I can appreciate what you say about the room being dark.

Hello Martyn,

I liked this one a lot the quiet concentration of the musicians and the dynamic figure, looks as though he's stamping his feet in time, in the centre. It's got a very painterly atmosphere about it.

Hope you don't mind me doing this; I made a layer copy of the original, lightened it using curves, made a Hide All Layer Mask, and used the Brush tool to do a bit of combining to take down the burnt highlights, made a Stamp Visible (SHIFT/CTRL/ALT + E) desaturated it a bit and then used Brightness/Contrast to finish it off.

Cheers - Jem

Hi Jem, Don't mind you editing my pics at all. In fact, I'm grateful for your efforts, I've got a lot to learn about this photography thing. You did a good job there so I 'm going to have another play and see if I can reproduce the same results.

nice set Martyn, love No.3 

did you have a lens hood on the camera? As others have said there does seem to be some 'dark' around the edges, unless that was done PP?

Thanks Colin. The darkness is the vignette I applied to tone down the spotlighted walls in the background. That's another reason I cropped the pics tightly in camera, to avoid the wall lights and bright reflections in the windows and picture glass.

Thanks Bill. The jury is still out for me on how to process these images for the best; for viewers such as yourselves on this forum these pics appear dark so I could boost the brightness to what you all would expect from a good photograph. For myself, these pictures do not represent the evening as I saw it. Maybe converting to b&w would go some way to capturing the mood and atmosphere of the evening.

Thanks Bill. The jury is still out for me on how to process these images for the best; for viewers such as yourselves on this forum these pics appear dark so I could boost the brightness to what you all would expect from a good photograph. For myself, these pictures do not represent the evening as I saw it. Maybe converting to b&w would go some way to capturing the mood and atmosphere of the evening.

Or it could be that you have your display set far too bright? Just as a guide, my iMac is usually set to 5 or 6 out of 15 which is plenty bright enough for me.

Archived