Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Extension tubes

Following up from the shout box I wondered who has what and do you use them???                                                                                      

I have Kenco (but my credit card was 15mths no interest so it only took 7 months to pay it off )

This is what I know about Extension tubes

a)They are non optical tubes that extend the distance of the lens from the body allowing closer focus at the expense of dof and light

b) There are two main types Auto (extends electrical contacts from body to lens) non auto (you loose auto focus and aperture control)

c) They suit standard to mid telephoto lens best

A non auto set

auto focus is little loss as most close up work is done with manual focus. Tubes make the dof very narrow

Loss of aperture adjustment is another matter If your camera has manual aperture adjustment on the lens its no problem If it is electrical a work around is to set the lens press the dof preview button and at the same time remove the lens (most fiddley) then fit the tube and the lens

Its easy to see which type you need auto or non auto

Auto are more expensive than non auto

The thing to look for is construction in both cases

non auto are relativly cheap usually about a tenth of auto tubes

BUT some of the cheap ones are not robust and arnt coated internally which can lead to flare

Auto are all prices from £30 pounds upwards

These you have to be careful of, the cheaper ones can suffer from quality control and have been known to damage the electrical contacts on the camera / lens when fitted or removed and that aint cheap to repair  

For mine, a canon the cost would be around £180 for a 25 and  12mm tubes canon as opposed to £150ish for a kenco set 12,20, and36  £60 ish for poloroid a set of 3

I would suggest reveiws and forums are researched before buying

The 12ish and 20ish would be the most used out of the sets so if buying seperate money could be saved

The 12 ish and 20ish dont take up much room and coupled to a nifty 50 make a good close up attachment when going for a wander

You will loose at least one stop due to the extra length and the dof is narrow but this is the bain of macro anyway

Edited by fuzzyedges
  • Like 2

I am going for the Polaroid auto set. I have read the reviews and they seem to be the next best to Kenco. I could get the Kenco but I need to spread the dosh as there are one or two bits I still have left to get.

I feel I need a set of extension tubes now I have the nifty fifty lens. 

I have a set badged as Jessops, bought there quite a few years ago for about £70 I think. They do have the electrical connectors and thus maintain both autofocus and aperture control.

I originally bought them to go with my 50mm lens to use instead of a dedicated macro and they served me well for years before I bought the sigma 105 and then the MPE65, both of which are still in regular use.

As Fuzzy stated, the ONLY purpose of the extension tube (or the substitute piece of cardboard tube) is to allow you to move closer to your subject and thus fill the frame more with the subject, which with some insects can be frustrating as they tend to be scared off, but the results can be quite spectacular.

As an aside... I do combine the 12mm or 25mm with the Sigma sometimes to get even closer if I don't have the 65 with me, and perhaps surprisingly they can also be used with a longer zoom lens to allow you to get closer to a bug for example, that is up in a tree. I have used either of these with the 70-200 at 200mm to photograph caterpillars, and I've even seen one being used behind a 100-400 IS lens when the user spotted a damselfly that was closer than the minimum focussing distance of the lens.

• Like 1

Brilliant thread, Fuzzy.

It does explain thinsg a lot clearer than trying to find the bits in the Shoutbox.
I won't be thinking of getting one for a long time but it's good to get it straight in my head before I do. 
I have a variety of zoom lenses and also 35mm which I love for the aperture and clarity. Would it be possible to use this with extention tubes and get a fairly decent result?

I have just remembered that I still have some Birthday money in a tin from the year before last l. but I shall have to think carefully how I am going to spend that as it's been there for so long and I have resisted temptation so far.

On the other hand I might just add to it. ;)  :smiling: 
I think for the amount that I would use them that I would also go for the polaroid too.

PS. It's that Annie's fault. I had put it to the back of my mind for a long time until she set me off again. :rofl:

Edited by NannyFerret

I need the Auto as my sight isn't brilliant and find it very difficult to get a proper focus with the cheapo's. 

I already rely on the Autofocus on my normal lenses.

You will probably be Ok with them if your eyesight is good, Mr W.

I have wanted one for years and didn't see Polaroid ones around then. I didn't even know that they made them until I saw it on here.

Anyway, I'm not rushing I would use it more in the better weather.

I have a variety of zoom lenses and also 35mm which I love for the aperture and clarity. Would it be possible to use this with extention tubes and get a fairly decent result?

:rofl:

The best lens to use extension tubes are the 50 to 150 region This does not mean you cant use them outside this

But what can happen in a wide angle situation is that you could be trying to focus inside the lens as you are that close and that isnt going to happen

All an extension tube does is allow you to focus closer at the expense of focusing at infinity

To be honest, disregarding all the optic qualitys a macro lens is only a variable extention tube as opposed to fixed tubes

I'm afraid I'll be going for the cheapo's, my mate has some he's had no hassle with them....

Nothing wrong with cheapos as long as the qualitys there Your camera and lens are more expensive than extention tubes Ask yourself do I realy need them a lot of extension tubes are bought and hardley ever used  Only if you are into close up work will you use them, they have practically no other use

I feel I need a set of extension tubes now I have the nifty fifty lens. 

Ah the slippery slope to the black hole of macro

There maybe a slight lift in quality from the raynox (although you achieved above average with one) as there is no extra lens between your 50 and the light

Here are some results (not spot on accurate but close enough) from close focus of my 50mm

No extension tubes            closest focus 12"

12mm tube                         closest focus 4"

20mm tube                         closest focus 3"

36mm tube                         closest focus 2"

12 + 20 tubes                      closest focus 21/4"

12+ 36 tubes                       closest focus 11/2"

20+36 tubes                        closest focus 1"

12+20+36 tubes                  closest focus 1/2"

As you can see if you carry the 12 and 20 you effectivly have the 36(well 32) as well

Do you really wish to focus closer than 11/2" from your subject?

With all clicked together a spider would be tapping on your lens

I need the Auto as my sight isn't brilliant and find it very difficult to get a proper focus with the cheapo's. 

I already rely on the Autofocus on my normal lenses.

Extension tubes alter nothing that you do already with your normal lens except allow you to focus nearer As you have no manual aperture on your lens then the auto tubes (auto is a bit misleading as they dont do anything except pass the electrical signal to the lens) is the way to go but there are some nasty cheap ones out there

Does your camera have live view and a magnify button (if it dosnt thats probably lost you) as this can be used to get spot on focus of little objects that can be difficult in a view finder

• Like 1

I've never heard of this make, they are the cheapest auto tubes I've come across. Obviously they won't compare with Kenko but the nine reviews are OK. I would imagine the tubes are made of plastic so I would be wary of using lenses of 70-300mm or larger as there could be some flexing which might cause electrical connection problems. Probably Ok with a 50mm lens though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcoplus-Focus-Macro-Extension-Digital/dp/B00DGRUJDM/ref=sr_1_6/275-9466912-3187801?ie=UTF8&qid=1391862813&sr=8-6&keywords=polaroid+extension+tubes

• Like 1

Yes, I have live view (3" screen) and I think I have something somewhere for a magnify setting so will have a look at my camera and manual.
All I really want to do is to focus automatically, I can change the aperture etc. manually which I usually do anyway. So long as Auto Focus is possible with the extension tubes attached then that would really suit me

I've just been thinking:

I have various zoom lenses including a Nikon 55-200 VR would that one be a better option, or I have a Nikon 55-300 VR .

I know I would be able to experiment with lenses and extensions, but it would be good to know which lens to start with.

All this information is really useful and will help me to choose when the time comes, and I'm sure Annie will find it useful too..

Thank you.

Edited by NannyFerret

I've never heard of this make, they are the cheapest auto tubes I've come across. Obviously they won't compare with Kenko but the nine reviews are OK. I would imagine the tubes are made of plastic so I would be wary of using lenses of 70-300mm or larger as there could be some flexing which might cause electrical connection problems. Probably Ok with a 50mm lens though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcoplus-Focus-Macro-Extension-Digital/dp/B00DGRUJDM/ref=sr_1_6/275-9466912-3187801?ie=UTF8&qid=1391862813&sr=8-6&keywords=polaroid+extension+tubes

Some intresting amazon reviews and some people that dont seem to get the hang of extension tubes here are a couple

This is a simple and easily affordable option with no visible image quality loss. Not very multi-purpose but at less than £50 you shouldn't expect much out of your equipment;

They are only tubes and have only one purpose

but when you mount all of those three together with a 70-200mm zoom lens attached to it

Not only are you asking for trouble sticking a heavy lens on plastic tubes the down side of long telephotos is that the largest aperture is relativly small and tubes eat light so larger apertures or faster iso is needed This is why the 50mm to 150mm is best suited

But the reviews look good I would check other forums as well before buying and fitting

• Like 1

Ah! I had forgotten about the weight of a longer zoom. my 55-300 is  heavy and I wouldn't want to damage my camera or lens.

Thanks for the reminder. So it seems that my 55-200 would be the best all rounder with extension tubes then.

I only have a Pentagon 50mm lens which has to be focused by hand so that lets that one out.

I still have the Nikon 28-55mm  kit lens, but will have more adjustment with the 55-200. 

It's a nice lens which I enjoy using when I don't want to zoom as far as 3oomm. so maybe the 55-200 would be the one to start with then.

Edited by NannyFerret

will the Polaroid work ok with my AFS lenses. It looks like the same contacts.

Afs are Nikon arnt they? poloroid do tubes for nikon lens

I honestly dont know much about Nikon always been a canon user right from Ae-1

Edited by fuzzyedges

Thanks. I found a few reviews and some say that they didn't work on Nikon and some say they do. Maybe it will have to be the Kenko and I have found some at a good price and they have upgraded the contacts to work with more DSLRs.

I think I will be opening my tin soon, lol.

I still blame that Annie but it will be a sort of belated Birthday present from two years ago. lol

Edited by NannyFerret
  • Like 1

Lol....I do hope that's not Nanny and me  gonna bid against each other. Now I must keep looking...

John what have you done ... I have never bid on anything on Fleabay before.....lol!

I wouldn't think so if you have Canon and I have Nikon, Annie. 

I got mine for £99 free postage on Buy it Now with 12 months guarantee.

I don't do bidding now. To much hassle and I never win.

Don't go above 80 Annie as you get get a new Canon one off this seller for that.

If anyone is interested I will post the link.

• Like 1