Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Sigma EX DC 10-20MM F4/5.6 HSM Nikon AF FIT?

I've had in mind for a while now that I may enjoy using an ultra wide angle lens. I've been reading a few reviews and was hoping that one day I may be able to afford a Nikon 10-24. However, I've just discovered that my local camera shop is offering the Sigma EX DC 10-20MM F4/5.6 HSM Nikon AF FIT in the sales at less than half the price of the Nikon

Does anyone here use this lens, have any opinions, know if it will work with the Nikon D5100?

Edited by Martyn

Pre ordered one when they were first announced and got one from the very first batch to arrive in the UK - advantage of working at Jessops.

Years down the line and three cameras later I still love it, a brilliant lens and yes it will AF on your body. At work so don't have access to my HDD but I'll post some shots from it later.

• Like 1

martyn - I use the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 DC HSM on both the D80 and D7000. 

You might find some comments on the www about it being soft but I have had no problems, only point I would make is be careful with the lens hood as mine had a habit of dropping off and is now lost (£30 for a new one)

I have so many pictures shot with this lens we would be here all night but most the recent cathedral shots were taken using it and below is one of my fav holiday snaps

If I can help further ask away. :thumbup:

beach03small.jpg

Click image to view large

Edited by colinb
  • Like 1

Well, I've taken the plunge and become a W-I-D-E-B-O-Y! :smiling:    I went out for a walk with it on the camera but the light was not particularly inspiring. I may post a couple of pics if there's something worth sharing later.

• Like 1

Now you have it and can't take it back I should point out it is the hardest lens of any to use well.

I'll bet my coffee pot you walk along, see a scene and think "Ooo, that'll make a canny shot with me new lens" - then look through the viewfinder and think *hit the bed everything is miles away! The trick is to look for very strong foreground interest that can lead in the eye or look for very dramatic wilds/skies that can hold their own. For architecture it is brilliant but you need to either keep it level or make the diverging perspectives the reason for the picture and not a result of trying to get stuff in. 

It is a fantastic lens and while the learning curve is (well it was for me) a steep one the results when you get it right make for keepers like no others. 

• Like 3

Cheers BP, how right you are! Even in the shop when I checked the lens was working ok, I was struck by how distant the shop window looked. This is going to be a new learning curve; I've already taken a couple o' hundred shots and the results are mixed, with acres of sky and interesting clouds it means that the sky will dominate the shot and the exposure on the ground is off. Verticals go wild if I don't shoot level and I get my feet in the shot if I shoot down.

I like the fact that there is a distance scale on the focus ring, I need to get to grips with hyper focal distances to really make this lens shine!

Has to be said, with all the differences, it is incredibly satisfying though - and its a great lens to play silly bergers with - I have greyhounds, and their noses are about a mile long when you get right up to them :-)

• Like 1