Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A DIRECT CPMPARISON FOR YOUR COMMENTS & OBSERVATIONS

FUJI

Today, I went on a very local photo shoot with another keen photographer.....whilst out I decided to make a fair comparision between my new..........................NOKIA 1020 phone camera..............and my PANASONIC GF1 M4/3 rds camera:

Pic 1: Is a straight from GF1 camera, untouched....as taken....the crop above was done to match as closely as possible, original size 4016 by 3016 mp....reduced to 1024 longest side for posting here:

PIC 2:  Is a crop from the  NOKIA phone camera....the original uncropped shot was a massive 7712 by 4352 mp....reduced for posting to 1024 longest side:

The pic on my reply below will be the original FULL SIZE NOKIA shot uncropped but reduced for posting:

Best viewed LARGE.........CLICK ON PICS:

I await comments and observations with interest:

FUJI

post-4-0-13901400-1384456819.jpg

post-4-0-22738300-1384457018.jpg

This is a reduced for posting FULL SIZE....as from the 42 mp Nokia Phone Camera....the one I took the crop above from...even cropped the pre-posting size is.....2278 by 1287 mp:

Best viewed LARGE....Click on Pic:

FUJI

post-4-0-60721700-1384457527.jpg

I must say that I prefer the first one for the depth of colour (second looks a bit faded) and it also looks a bit crisper.

The large picture may explain the 'faded' or lighter look as the autoexposure is perhaps compensating for the surrounding darkness in the trees and river

Did you zoom in with the GF1 from the same position as you took the NOKIA picture from?

Either way, it's not really a fair comparison for the reasons Bugs has said. As it stands, the GF1 wins hands down. (Depth of tone, detail, and correct exposure).

Did you zoom in with the GF1 from the same position as you took the NOKIA picture from?

Either way, it's not really a fair comparison for the reasons Bugs has said. As it stands, the GF1 wins hands down. (Depth of tone, detail, and correct exposure).

Thanks folks......no I couldn't zoom the GF1 because it had my mates 45/1.8 lens on......the Nokia just takes the very wide shot.

I haven't been fair to the camera phone, because of the huge crop I had to make to make the scenes similar it is probably best, if you take a closer look at the un cropped Nokia shot under my main post.

FUJI

Thank you all for your very honest comments.....all taken on board.

I am still learning how to get the best from all the adjustments the Nokia camera offers, the example was fully automatic, because I was concentrating on my GF1 and on what my photographer mate was up to......not excuses, just how it was.

The Nokia, takes two shots, one a much reduced one for online, plus what it refers to as a JPEG Pro, a huge 7712 by 4352 mp file that needs resizing to see on even my large desktop monitor.

To work on them, I save as PSD s Photoshop files for processing, then, if I'm posting here, the finished version is reduced to 1024 longest side.

As an aside to all this, my very generous, and trusting mate, has loaned me his, OLYMPUS PEN with an electronic viewfinder fitted, plus two of his most prized lenses.......I will be taking it out and about over the weekend.

He has just treated himself to the latest, all bells and whistles EM1......he is probably the first UK owner after pre ordering it months ago.......he allowed me to........HAVE A GO WITH IT.

Would you trust a 75 year old with your latest toy, never mind his other best camera and lenses?

Photography, us a great hobby, it brings the most unlikely people together.......he was running a temporary market stall in town last summer, he spotted my LX5 around my neck....... We have been great photographer mates since.

FUJI

Thanks folks......no I couldn't zoom the GF1 because it had my mates 45/1.8 lens on......the Nokia just takes the very wide shot.

I haven't been fair to the camera phone, because of the huge crop I had to make to make the scenes similar it is probably best, if you take a closer look at the un cropped Nokia shot under my main post.

FUJI

But is that all the camera phone offers - no zoom but a ginormous picture you can then 'crop / zoom' into? In which case, the GF1 still wins IMO.

Changing tack, you've mentioned your LX5 many times. I'm tempted to 'upgrade sensors' by getting something like it, but sadly, despite its reputation, it's no longer available. Do you have an opinion on the LX7 which superseded it? That has a f1.4 - f2.3 lens, an aperture ring, and a much higher burst fps rate, among other things. But is it better, what do you think?

But is that all the camera phone offers - no zoom but a ginormous picture you can then 'crop / zoom' into? In which case, the GF1 still wins IMO.

Changing tack, you've mentioned your LX5 many times. I'm tempted to 'upgrade sensors' by getting something like it, but sadly, despite its reputation, it's no longer available. Do you have an opinion on the LX7 which superseded it? That has a f1.4 - f2.3 lens, an aperture ring, and a much higher burst fps rate, among other things. But is it better, what do you think?

I forgot to mention that the Phone camera does zoom I guess about X 3, you just slide a finger to the top of he LCD screen, then shoot:

I don't know anything about the LX7.....but am guessing that there are more than a few LX5s available on Ebay....they all have an attached  beautiful Leica lens....look it up on YouTube.

The GF1 I have, was an irresistable purchase when I spotted it at just £150 complete with lens, in a local CEX S/H electronics store:

Going back to the phone camera......I just need to learn how to get the best from it....it is a remarkable bit of kit:

FUJI

I forgot to mention that the Phone camera does zoom I guess about X 3, you just slide a finger to the top of he LCD screen, then shoot:

I don't know anything about the LX7.....but am guessing that there are more than a few LX5s available on Ebay....they all have an attached  beautiful Leica lens....look it up on YouTube.

The GF1 I have, was an irresistable purchase when I spotted it at just £150 complete with lens, in a local CEX S/H electronics store:

Going back to the phone camera......I just need to learn how to get the best from it....it is a remarkable bit of kit:

FUJI

I'd be quite reluctant to buy a secondhand camera (even though your GF1 was - as you say - an irresistible bargain). The LX7 also has a Leica lens, as do all Panasonic cameras, even the ones badged 'Lumix' were designed by Leica. I'm just uncertain whether to get an LX7, though from what I google, it seems there isn't a sheet of Bronco you could put between it and the LX5 in terms of picture quality. 

I think I prefer the first pic; better colour saturation and more detail in the stonework.

It's amazing isn't it, a few years ago you wouldn't have thought you could take a serious picture on one of those pocket telephone things!

I like the top one the best as I find the next one a bit too bright, but the camera phone does have it's place, especially if you are prepared to do a bit of editing.

Very handy to have in situations where you can't carry and extra camera with you.

And in Shopping Centre's Nanny........................Tis a PHONE not a CAMERA....INNIT??? :innocent:  :thumbup:

FUJI

That's true, Fuji. :yes  We went to Birmingham for more Christmas present on Thursday and didn't take my big camera with me, but I have my compact on a plastic coated metal thread with a camouflage around the camera.
I tuck this inside my jacket so no one is any the wiser.
I didn't get any shots this week as it was too bloomin cold to hang about.
I bought myself a trappers hat which I shall now wear when out with my camera in the winter, though.

It's nice, warm and snug, and just the thing for photographers.

Thanks Nanny........I am just imagining you now....dressed in full camauflage skulking around City Arcades wearing a trapper's hat......... :yes  :rofl:

AS for me.....I have such a mop of hair....any hat looks ridiculus on me............I haven't worn one since I was forced to wear a beret during National Service:

FUJI

I have a camouflage waterproof waterproof jacket now you mention it, Fuji.

I wore my trapper hat into town yesterday.
I didn't care if it looked daft as I was so lovely and warm in it. As it is, it doesn't look too bad on. You should get one. 

John is wearing a waxed peaked one that my daughter-in-law bought for him a couple of years ago. He has braved wearing it this week and he agrees with me about the warmth. Go on, be a devil, get one. There are loads of people wearing them now.
I had to get a boys size as the adults are far to big for me.

I thought I was being very good in going for a black one instead of a camouflage.

Archived