Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

My Computer - Some Lessons Perhaps?

Clicks ask me to post some detail of my computer woes.

I have Photoshop CC loaded on my Desktop Computer and on my Laptop.  Legal under the licence provided you don't use both simultaneously.  My laptop has been under warranty repair for a new camera and a sticky keyboard button since the 15th May.  More on this later.

For some time I had been suffering little glitches on my desktop, some but not all of which affected the use of a number of Photoshop tools that I regularly use.  Adobe tried but could bottom the problem except to determine that the problems went away when I unchecked the use of graphics processor support in Photoshop "Preferences".  I reverted to the on board (the motherboard) graphics to eliminate my graphics card all of which changed nothing except to introduce lag into the cursor movement in PS.

In parallel, I had also decided that it might be sensible to move my photo folders onto an external USB drive that I had going spare.  This would normally slow down access to image files but my ASUS motherboard came with a software package which amongst other functions, claims (and does) boost the access speed by about 10x through a dedicated USB 3.1 port. However, the Boost function was corrupted.  I had never used and it may well have been corrupted from the outset.   All attempts to delete and re install the ASUS package just caused the computer to freeze.  ASUS didn't help. Apart from slow response times, they suggested two fixes.  The first was clearly for a different Operating System because the file and its folder they wanted me to change didn't exist in Windows 10 even with hidden files exposed.  The second was an update which didn't cure the problem but in the process removed those functions in the package that did work so 0/10 for ASUS support.

I then noticed that my system drive (C drive) was almost full.  It's normally recommended that a computer works best when it has some head room on this drive.  So on the basis that this might have been causing the glitches I was suffering, I bought a larger drive to replace it. Fitting this required me to clone the old drive onto the replacement.  This I did, fitted it and it worked first time.......but not the second or the third or thereafter.  So I re fitted the original drive but that didn't work either.  The inherent glitches were taking there toll.

Hence a complete re build of my Desktop computer which is now humming along nicely with no sign of the original problems.  However,  ................ sporadically, Photoshop won't let me in unless I log in using my ADOBE account credentials, giving as the reason, that the software exists on three computers, two of which, totally against the licence terms, are being used simultaneously.   When I rebuilt this machine, I gave it a new name and so assumed that the three were my laptop and the desktop under two names.  Intending to delete the old name, I logged onto my ADOBE account where I noticed that under a listing of  "Active Session", my software was apparently being used on a Windows 8 machine using Internet Explorer.  I stopped using Internet Explorer about  5 years ago and I have never owned nor used a Windows 8 machine in my life having jumped from W7 straight to W10 whilst it was still free of charge to do so.  What's more, the usage logged by ADOBE occurs in two locations which suggests it's mobile and therefore another another laptop ........... and guess what, one of those locations is Preston where I live but the other is where the repair shop currently repairing my laptop, is based.  I've come to the conclusion that there is a distinct possibility that some one who commutes from Preston and possibly the repair shop, has copied my copy of PS and has loaded it onto their own lap top.  I have no proof of course but there is a lot of coincidence involved. 

I have given these fact to John Lewis from whom I bought the laptop with an appropriate warning about proof, and they are investigating.

So why do I say that there might be lessons to learn.

1.  It surprised me how much info ADOBE collect.  Might be to my advantage on this occasion though.

2  If you are in the habit of keeping a copy of software downloads locally on you machine as a convenience for future need as I am, remove them before giving someone else access.

3.  If you are in the habit of allowing your computer to automatically store frequently used pass words to save you logging in each time, remove them before giving someone else access to your machine.  I must admit, I'm selective about this one.  I only allow this for information sites never where there is private info or money involved.

Hope this is of interest and informative.

Edited by johntwo

It is John, believe me. I too replaced a HD from a 'spinner' to a SSD and upgraded my OS from W7 to W10 via a direct download and licence from Microsoft. I build my own computers so this was a walk in the park for me to do.

I am pleased to say all was well until it came to reinstalling my ancient version of Lightroom 5.7 that my son had purchased for me. When I tried to retrieve my account details, it told me it was alreadty installed on two other machines. Neither of them mine!..and not my sons either.

I had had it on my previous desktop but that was successfully ported over to my W7 machine and details logged with Adobe confirming the switch. My login had been altered to the Adobe account. They did sort it out eventually but when I look at my account details now, there are Adobe products listed on there that I have never purchased ! Including a licence key for Photoshop which I dont have installed. Nor can I install it using that key.   All very strange.

I build my own as well but because technology moves on so fast and new builds only happen every few years, there is always the suspicion that you have done something that is no longer appropriate.  Because the price has come down substantially, I've just installed an M2 NVMe drive.  All went well in the re build but when the boot went wrong in the old build I was questioning my own competence. 

Edited by johntwo
  • Like 1