Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Moon

Had a try to take some pics of the moon rising through the clouds last night.

Any hints, tips or critique welcome - I'm not convinced by them

10411149454_7edbd66f78_b.jpg

Click image to view large

10411150104_586969e506_b.jpg

10411305443_d220c6fb41_b.jpg

the moon is difficult to capture as its a lot brighter than you would think. I used these settings

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Artist: Richard How 
Exposure Time: 1/1000
F Number: f / 6.3
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 200
Date Time Original: 2009:12:28 00:15:22
Metering Mode: Average
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Focal Length: 500.0 mmmm
White Balance: Auto
Lens: 150.0-500.0 mm

to capture this
4219769051_961a619586_o.jpg

Unless you take a clear full moon (in which case it's easy enough - just spot meter off the moon itself, maybe opening up a bit), it's very difficult. Are you trying for the moon itself? In which case the clouds will be dark dark dark. Or for the nice hazy clouds? In which case the moon will be way over-exposed.

I think it is a case of bracketing your exposures with a burst, then doing your best to combine them in PP. But it won't look entirely natural as the moon won't look bright enough to cause that lovely corona effect. 

Good luck anyway.

I do have a clouds across the moon shot somewhere I think, I will see if I can find it and check the settings but I found the on board metering to be useless the camera just cannot work it out so I did it with the camera on manual and took lots of shots getting faster shutter speed every time until I got the shot I wanted, have to admit I was surprised at how fast you have to take it when its so dark outside

I too took a full moon pic, last night, used my Sigma 70-300 and it came out all fuzzy despite a tripod How do you correctly photograph the moon??

If the moon is high in the sky using a 300mm will give you something like the picture below at best, a longer lens like Phils  [oops sorry Richard] will obviously give you more detail, you really need to use manual focus set to spot focus and a high iso. best time is to catch the moon early evening as it comes up over the horizon rather than high like my shot.

Chronikon - You do really need to use a tripod, did you press the shutter release? You should use a remote or the cameras self timer and if you can lock the cameras mirror up this will also keep it steady.

Moon.jpg

If the moon is high in the sky using a 300mm will give you something like the picture below at best, a longer lens like Phils will obviously give you more detail, you really need to use manual focus set to spot focus and a high iso. best time is to catch the moon early evening as it comes up over the horizon rather than high like my shot.

Chronikon - You do really need to use a tripod, did you press the shutter release? You should use a remote or the cameras self timer and if you can lock the cameras mirror up this will also keep it steady.

Moon.jpg

That's a pretty good shot! Not perfect in relation to the moon's details, but I think it's as good as you're going to get, and still have a shot that looks natural. (In any case, if you want the moon's details, shoot it full in a clear sky, or else go for something like this where the overall effect counts for more.)

I did use the remote Colin, and the tripod. I'm a sod for deleting stuff I dont like at first. I should have kept it so people could have offered additional advice!

Next time eh? :)

guess we all need a little more practice (well maybe not Richard) when the wind drops and it stops raining...

Interesting information here. I've never really tried to shoot the moon but maybe I should give it a try. Thanks for all the tips :)

If you get it right, you'll end up with a beige picture of the moon that looks exactly like every other shot of it.  :rolleyes:

It was a spur of the moment thing, but its caught my attention - wondering how to connect the camera to my brother's cheap reflector telescope :-)

Lots of things to try, thanks everyone.  Lets hope it stops raining at some point!!

Archived