Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Things with wings

Martyn

Testing out my newly acquired flash skills! Managed to get several shots of this fly, the focus isn't where I would want it on the eyes, but this is a huge leap forward for me.

1/200 sec, iso 400, f11, pop up flash set to 1/8th power. Dang, I wish I'd remembered to change the iso back to 100 after last nights shooting!

_DSC1671_zps589124d3.jpg

I wasn't happy with the background so I started to clean it up, ended up deleting the whole thing. Focus is still soft so I messed about with it a bit. Don't think this is the same fly as the first shot.

_DSC1670_zps09a01780.jpg

Spotted this on the fence when I went out to lock the garage. One shot and it was gone, so I was glad to get something to show for it.

_DSC1623_zps53503207.jpg

Good start mate.

Flash is not as easy to master as many think (just add a flash and voila - instant perfectly lit photos...) and it takes trial and error to get the brightness right.

Keep persevering and it'll all start coming together.

Paul.

Well, you already know the focus is difficult (but great when you nail it)  and now you have the fun of mastering another skill with the flash :)

With the flies, don't worry too much about the background yet. The exposure looks pretty good, so when you get the focus as well you'll be well away and that's the time to play with the background... nothing wrong with practicing though

If you're using autofocus, for something like this, you really need spot focus so that you, not the camera decide where to focus. If you're using spot focus then it would be worth checking to see if it is focussing where it claims (use the old standard of an angled tape measure or ruler)

If you're using manual focus and the viewfinder, then check that the focus if the sharpest you can get it, there's an adjustment wheel beside the viewfinder. Have a look in the manual for 'diopter adjustment'

I don't have a clue what the moth is, but you had a good eye to see that with the camouflage it's got.

Sometimes reduction in power light isnt the same as diffused light

Maybe you should try a diffuser on your pop up

I think Annie does that and Fuji has a homemade diffuser that might work

but you are getting there

Flash is the key, its just how to get the light where you want it and that takes practise and experiment

Well, you already know the focus is difficult (but great when you nail it)  and now you have the fun of mastering another skill with the flash :)

With the flies, don't worry too much about the background yet. The exposure looks pretty good, so when you get the focus as well you'll be well away and that's the time to play with the background... nothing wrong with practicing though

If you're using autofocus, for something like this, you really need spot focus so that you, not the camera decide where to focus. If you're using spot focus then it would be worth checking to see if it is focussing where it claims (use the old standard of an angled tape measure or ruler)

If you're using manual focus and the viewfinder, then check that the focus if the sharpest you can get it, there's an adjustment wheel beside the viewfinder. Have a look in the manual for 'diopter adjustment'

I don't have a clue what the moth is, but you had a good eye to see that with the camouflage it's got.

One of the problems I'm finding with focus is because I'm using a reversed lens, I have no automatic stopping down when I press the shutter. If the lens is set at f11, I'm looking through a pinhole at the subject and it's very dark. This was not helped by the screen on the back of the camera showing the settings which I can see out of the edge of my eye, but I worked around this by flipping the screen over; clever thinking I thought.

The diopter on the viewfinder was one of the first things I adjusted when I first got the camera.

Sometimes reduction in power light isnt the same as diffused light

Maybe you should try a diffuser on your pop up

I think Annie does that and Fuji has a homemade diffuser that might work

but you are getting there

Flash is the key, its just how to get the light where you want it and that takes practise and experiment

Thanks Fuzzy, that's my next project. I deliberately didn't use a diffuser , firstly because I haven't made one yet, and secondly because I wanted to be able to make a comparison, with / without a diffuser. I've just been watching vids on DIY flash rigs and diffusers, there's some weird and wonderful contraptions out there! Hmm, steampunk camera rig! :dry:

Right this is the rig I have cobbled together (I am from Yorkshire remember)

The flash bracket cost, after severe negotiation £1 at the car boot

The Vivitar flash is from the past from a car boot

The soft box is a cheapy from amazon approx £6.50p with rip off postage

The wireless transmiter and receiver is from there as well £12 approx (had to use that due to the trigger voltage on a Vivitar is reputed to be in the 220v region (canon dslr pc socket around 250v although no power ratings given for the canon hot shoe and its all a bit dubious  I would sooner burn the wireless than the 50d)

IMG_07121_zpsff55c10c.jpg

IMG_07101_zps40b481b6.jpg

As you can see the flash shown is a hanemex I have changed this to a vivitar as it was better suited

Trial and lots of error are producing results

I am now looking at another small flash to bring light from the opposite side to counteract the shadows caused by the main flash

• 3 months later...

Cheers Fuzzy, that sort of setup appeals to my pocket as well as my sense of adventure. I was looking at these yesterday:

http://www.diyphotography.net/three-super-macro-rigs-you-can-build-at-home

No way can I ever imagine walking around with any of that gear shown in the link, when I'm out macro insect shooting I walk miles and my Sigma Ringflash is just the tool for me. I suppose some of that gear would only be suitable if you were going to set yourself up and not move around too much... no good at all for trekking miles and besides how would one scramble about in the bushes looking for subjects, I could see something getting broken in next to no time.

Flash sometimes feels like a black art :( Took me ages to get my set-up just right for one thing, but any slight changes put me back to square one. Once you get something you want though, it's a fabulous lighting system :)

I use the same wireless system as you, and I'm still amazed it works with no wires :)

Archived