Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Delighted to see a Smooth Newt

Paul

They are common I know, but they are so hard to find, so when I ventured into the garden tonight and spotted this smooth newt stood on the moss at the base of the compost bin, I had to get the camera out! I assume the newt has been living in there since leaving our pond - but the last time I saw a newt in the garden was all of 4 years ago!

Exif:

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Image Date: 2013-09-24 22:32:43 +0000
Focal Length: 100mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 320
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Creator: Paul Iddon
Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK

post-784-0-83571100-1380063130.jpg

Paul.

All of our newts are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, prohibiting trade in any of the three species. Declines have been observed in all three species, probably a result of the loss of many ponds across the UK. Common and palmate newts remain quite common and are not considered under threat at present so are not listed by the IUCN. Great crested newts are categorised as 'lower risk'. In the UK great crested newts are quite rare due to population declines, and they are heavily protected under law, making it illegal to harm or kill them, disturb their habitat at all, or even handle them without a licence. They are a priority species under the UK Biodiversity Action Plan, aiming to maintain, enhance and restore populations.

I didn't know it was illegal to handle great crested newts - but I know there are lots of delays to building work around the country if they are discovered on the sites, as they have to be relocated.

Paul.

Thanks for the info. 

A friend had some in her garden pond and she contacted some people to see what she could do as I think she was thinking about draining the pond,

She contacted someone by phone and they wanted paying to take the newts to another location for safe keeping.
I think she decided to leave them there in the end. It was a good few years ago so many of it has faded a bit.

I used to love Newts as a kid, they were so very common in our area, because almost every field had a large pond ( or pit as we call them) in one corner........Crested Newts were our favourite things to catch, the colours on them in Spring are spectacular, haven't seen one for years, and only the occasional Smooth Newt.

Your stacking of this subject, is very impressive Paul.......can't help liking the single shot too though.

FUJI

Thanks Tina, Terry.  :thumbup:

i dont think i have ever seen one of these not in a photo 

nice shot Paul, cute critters arent they   :)

It was lovely really. I put it on my hand to have a look at it just stayed there a minute and then wandered off across my palm and onto my shirt sleeve. When I put the newt back, it eventually went round toward the back of the compost bin, no doubt on look out for slugs and stuff to eat.

I used to love Newts as a kid, they were so very common in our area, because almost every field had a large pond ( or pit as we call them) in one corner........Crested Newts were our favourite things to catch, the colours on them in Spring are spectacular, haven't seen one for years, and only the occasional Smooth Newt.

Your stacking of this subject, is very impressive Paul.......can't help liking the single shot too though.

FUJI

Cheers m8 - they are wonderful to see - I also as a kid went "newting" and the pond that had some had mostly salamanders. Wonderful creatures. The bonus to going to that pond was that nearby house had a gooseberry bush just through the fence of the garden and we used to hep ourselves to a few fresh goosegogs to crunch on!  :yes

Paul.

Archived