Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A few from the Shire Horse Show - July 27, 2013

Beth

Hello there,

For all to see, but especially Phil as I promised some pics a while ago, lol.

Still struggling with aperture and shutter combinations etc........but I've taken a few general, but nice pics last Saturday and hope you like.

Unedited, but think they could be sharper and more contrast etc.

Very basic photos I'm afraid, as trying to get used to camera.

I have a huge passion for horses and going to venture back into it again soon.

Thanks for looking my lovelies. :-)

DSC_0246.jpg

Click image to view large

DSC_0195.jpg

Couldn't resist this one....

DSC_0205.jpg

Aww, thanks everyone.  I feel i've cheated only because it was on programme and i didn't put any effort in.

I need to understand more about light and apertures etc, because im not getting anywhere at the mo.  

I try hard to set it right, but soo many are wrong and at the end of the day, I just find the whole thing difficult.

I need a method of understand that, after a whle, it will click.

I mean, what I've taken. anyone can take those pics, they're nothing special.  

Maybe im too hard on myself, but I want to learn and I want the camera to work for me.

Thanks again, more to come tomorrow.............:-)

Aww, thanks everyone.  I feel i've cheated only because it was on programme and i didn't put any effort in.

I need to understand more about light and apertures etc, because im not getting anywhere at the mo.  

I try hard to set it right, but soo many are wrong and at the end of the day, I just find the whole thing difficult.

I need a method of understand that, after a whle, it will click.

I mean, what I've taken. anyone can take those pics, they're nothing special.  

Maybe im too hard on myself, but I want to learn and I want the camera to work for me.

Thanks again, more to come tomorrow.............:-)

The only people who will think you've cheated are the purists.

One of my frequent responses to people who ask which is the right camera for them, is to say 'The one that does what you want'. I would add that it should also give you the opportunity to move on when or if you are ready.

You have the eye to see a picture already. Not many people would think to photograph the rear end of a horse for any reason :)

Don't try to do too many things too quickly, a modern camera can be a confusing and bewildering beast, but the basic principles are the same for any photograph...  Subject... composition... light .... technical details

Subject is fairly self explanatory, it could be static, it could be moving, it could be a person, a building or a bug. It doesn't really matter as long as you can see a picture there.

Composition... What's in the background and more importantly does it interfere with the subject? The classic telephone pole out of someones head is the obvious one, but what about the bright blue wheelie bin that is going to catch someones eye when they look at your picture.

Light... Do you have enough light for the picture?   Think about whether you need flash. Most times the answer will be no, and if you don't need it, then don't use it. Conversely don't be afraid to use it if the situation is right. (I often use flash in bright sunlight as a fill-in to lift shadows). Depending on the kind of photography, a tripod or monopod might help in low light.

Also if the light is low consider increasing the sensitivity (ISO) or reducing it if the light is very bright. A high ISO will increase the noise visible in the picture but every camera will have different characteristics, so you would need to experiment to find out what works.

I have one camera where I cannot use more than iso800, but another where I am happy using iso3200, my record for a printed shot is iso25600 which was a challenge to say the least (it's somewhere on here as 'reading')

Details...  These are the next stages and many people produce perfectly good pictures worthy of wall hanging without heading in this direction, and it's not obligatory, just very satisfying when it works.

Aperture.. how to choose the size of the aperture setting to influence depth of field with background blur or background detail.

Shutterspeed....   how to freeze motion or keep motion blur

and then comes the clever bits where we try to put it all together, the technical combinations of shutter, aperture, iso....   great fun but walk before you run and do backflips.

Your harshest critic will always be the person behind the camera, but never forget the most important thing.... Enjoy taking photographs. 

"If you like it, that's good. If others like it, that's even better"

Sorry for the long post and I hope I don't sound patronising, but your comments reflect what I hear at the camera club and most times it is just a case of encouraging someone to take smaller steps instead of doing the long jump.

One thing I have noticed here on TIPF since I joined, is the fantastic willingness of people to be helpful, make suggestions and answer questions at all levels. They really are a great bunch.

Beth, as I was telling Fuji on Friday, I used Auto for a long time, then I moved onto Shutter and left the aperture to sort itself out, then I practice using Aperture and left the sutter speed to adjust itself, and finally after many years, I can now use manual and adjust the exposure etc. but I still get some bad shots.

Take your time and enjoy your camera and pics. It will come in time.

Thank you all for your comments and also thank you Bugmeister for your very informative detail and no it wasn't patronising at all.  

I need as much help as I can possibly have, so feel free to throw any criticism my way.  :-)

Archived