Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Veterans of the Napoleonic Wars

kev7d

I found this link which contains images I am quite captivated by. Napoleon died on 5 May 1821 and each year following veterans of the Grande Armée would pay their respects. It is thought that the photos in this link were taken at one of these events in 1858.

These are men of the Grande Armée who fought and survived at Waterloo, photographed some 40 years after the battle well in the 70's and 80's. These are thought to be the only photographs of Waterloo veterans.

https://mashable.com/2014/10/27/napoleonic-wars-veterans/#bxZhoe1rsEqw

An amazing Collection .... a real example of the magical quality photography brings in being able to freeze a moment from the past in a way that no other medium is able to with absolute authenticity... can you imagine what it would be like if the printed image from a camera had been invented centuries earlier ..???  Future generations are so lucky to be able to see mages and film portraying people and events from the past.... without the camera  our links to the past would be entirely down to spoken word  being recorded in the written form or artists ability to capture the reality of it in paintings drawings sculptures etc . The camera has been the most amazing invention. 

• Like 2

I agree about the impact of photography Polly. 

You know I have an interest in the Napoleonic era. When I found this link I was amazed. It really brings things from 1815 to life for me. I think I shared in the past that I discovered an ancestor who was present at Waterloo. He was a 15 year old drummer boy. And now I see images of men that would have been within a mile or two of the boy at the foot of Mont St Jean, Waterloo.

Photos  have a way of linking us to our history that becomes an emotional and powerful tie  in a way that becomes immensely personal experience ...I  never met or knew my maternal grandfather  due to tragic circumstances my mothers life  and she never had a photograph of him as my mother and her five siblings went into separate institutions for homeless children in the  twenties .  Then a few years ago I traced a surviving  brother and he had one picture he had acquired from  an elderly relative he had traced years before and he gave me a copy . I can’t tell you what an emotional moment it was to see an image of the person I had learned so much about whilst researching my family history... never underestimate the power of an image . They form the powerful bridge to our past and even our DNA sometimes ...  so I know exactly why your interest in all things Napoleonic is so captivating for you ... 

• Like 1
Just now, kev7d said:

Lol.  The winning side got to write the history books.  

Indeed, but I wonder how true they are. I'm no historian, and I certainly don't have time to start now. Though maybe an Msc in History would be more interesting to do than Health and Safety! :12_slight_smile: