Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Pentax 50mm

So the story goes that for the last few weeks I've been scouring eBay for a nice little prime to go on the front of my Pentax K30. I wanted something like the FA 35mm f2.4 but for various odd (Robin) type reasons I've decided I don't want one but instead I wanted a nice 50mm. The thing is they have rocketed in price these last few years as they've become popular. It's been driving me potty as I used to sell them years ago in Jessops for a few quid as they were common and everyone wanted zooms.

My old age is making its mark as I was sorting a few things out on Sunday and found the cardboard tube I used as a macro extension - with a 50mm lens bunged in the front  - yep - a Pentax SMC F 50mm f1.7 - not only is it better than the old lenses I have been looking for it is an auto focus version that meters correctly. 

Doh!

Anyhoo by the time I had found it and stopped kicking myself the light was gone and it was snowing - again - so I headed to work a little earlier this morning and shot a few frames. 

Wide open the bokeh is a little weird, its an older design and less emphasis was made on the out of focus rendering when it was designed but it is sharp as a tack still and a joy to use.

Hi! BP, you obviously have a cracking lens there, the DOF and BOKEH are spot on, both working to make each shot here look special, the quality shines through.

I haven't taken my EBay 50 mm lens off the camera since I acquired it a few weeks ago.......I have been frustrated, by both the weather and family commitments preventing me from getting the best from it though.

I just can't believe just how ignorant of lens capabilities I used to be, it is thanks to BP, that I almost always adjust to the way a particular lens .....sees....the world and automatically adjust my photography to suit. I am still grappling with how the sensor on my Sony A55 makes my 50mm into an 80 mm, my numbers problem is a real hindrance at times.

Pleased to see too BP, that you have picked up your proper camera again;-)

FUJI

Shooting with a fixed lens is a challenge, you get used to the framing capabilities of a zoom and forget you have to walk about a lot more but it does make you work for a shot and I honestly believe the end image can benefit. Not all the time as very precise framing often makes a shot and a zoom will do that but it is fun to try.

Given a choice I still prefer a 35mm lens on a crop sensor body as that gives you the equivalent of the ever popular Nifty Fifty (sorry for the numbers Fuji) whereas a 50mm ends up giving the equivalent of a 75mm and thats just a bit too long for most things. On my Nikon I love my 35mm f1.8 but Pentax don't really do a similar lens - they produce a fantastic 31mm f1.8 Limited Edition but it is madly expensive and I'm not sure I want to spend that sort of money on a secondary kit. If I get a Fuji X Series system this year I'll buy their 35mm f1.4 and if it ever comes off the camera I'll be amazed. 

With luck I'll get a chance to shoot a few more frames this morning.

Guest DaveW

I may be wrong, but I always understood the sharpest best corrected lenses produced the worst bokeh, since "good bokeh" is a result of lens aberrations?  However lens manufacturers knowing photographers preferences tend to sacrifice a little sharpness that may only be distinguishable in large prints to provide a softer  more pleasant rendering of out of focus backgrounds:-

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/02/11/what-is-bokeh/

Guest DaveW

Interesting article BP, but too long to digest at one go so put it into Favourites.  As I have quickly read some parts it confirms that so called good bokeh is the result of lens aberrations and therefore a theoretically perfect lens would have a bad bokeh? However nobody has yet made a perfect lens and designers make what photographers want, even if that may mean compromising slightly on maximum sharpness to obtain better bokeh?

Guest DaveW

Interesting quote from a site on image stabilised lenses:-

"Image Stabilization can degrade bokeh – this one might be a surprise for you, but it is true. Because the light that passes through the lens is shifted from its optical path when image stabilization is engaged, it can negatively affect lens bokeh."

http://photographylife.com/lens-stabilization-vs-in-camera-stabilization#ixzz2P19ceS4H

My own opinion is that 50mm lens were not popular once upon a time because of 2 reasons a) they were on the body you bought and as we know any lens other than the one you have is better and b) for people shooting you had to get up close and personel

Now a 50 is an 80/75 in a lot of cases that little distance makes all the differance and I cant remember who it was (and I should ) who said if your images arnt good you arnt close enough

So the rise in popularity and price, it only needs a few people to rave about nifty fifty's and everybody goes and buys one

I will now google for the saying God bless google

Robert Cappa

And I forgot No 4 is brilliant

Guest DaveW

The 50mm on 35mm film was the standard lens because it pretty well matched the human eyes angle of view, so gave natural perspective. The lens that matches the human eyes angle of view on any format is usually taken as the diagonal of the film/sensor image, therefore the "standard" lens focal length varies with the format used. A standard lens on 35mm film is different to that on medium or large format, or even the APS-C digital format. However on most cameras we now use the fixed focal length lens has been replaced by a "standard" zoom, which usually covers the old standard lens focal length.  See:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens

The old standard lenses were of simple optical construction so easy to correct, therefore are often optically far better than the standard zoom kit lens you now get on most modern digital cameras.

Somewhere between 40mm and 58mm is considered normal, it was Oskar Barnack who picked 50mm - we'll let him off seen as how he pretty much invented  35mm photography as we know it.

Pentax make a rather lovely 43mm f1.9 Limited lens which when the full frame DSLR arrives later this year will become a very hot potato.

Off for two days now so I'll give my 50mm a good work-out.

Archived