Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Late Victorian mobilisation centre. North Weald Redoubt.

Denis

I was not entitled to photograph this site, notices told me that I would be prosecuted for trespassing. I'm not usually a breaker of civic law or otherwise, but this is a place I have been longing to have a look at for ages. On Sunday I found that part of the fence had been removed and I was tempted in. I did not remove the fence!

It is known locally as the North Weald Redoubt, built as a mobilisation centre. The following helps explain their use and is copied from the Historic England website:

The 15 London mobilisation centres, constructed during the 1890s, formed part of a comprehensive military scheme known as the London Defence Positions, drawn up in 1888 to protect the capital in the event of enemy invasion. The scheme was a response to the rapid progress made in warship production by France and Russia during the early 1880s, which had led to official doubts about the Royal Navy's defence capability. Essentially a contingency plan, it provided for the establishment of a 72 mile long, entrenched stop-line divided into ten tactical sectors and supported by artillery batteries and redoubts. The planned stop-line ran from the southern edge of the Surrey and Kent Downs, up the western side of the Darenth Valley to the Thames, and then north westwards through Essex from Tilbury Fort to Epping. Although the stop-line and main defence positions were not to be established until an invasion was imminent, it was thought prudent to build a series of mobilisation centres, 13 on new sites, along the projected course, either for artillery deployment or where troops could assemble and collect tools and supplies. By 1905, official confidence in the Royal Navy had been restored, and the now obsolete mobilisation centres were abandoned and gradually sold off. No two mobilisation centres are exactly alike, and a broad distinction can be drawn between the four centres purpose built for artillery deployment, and eight which functioned as infantry positions. However, in general terms there are close similarities: each, for example, was typically enclosed by a rampart, ditch and spiked fence, containing a partly earth-sheltered, reinforced concrete and brick built magazine and stores. Beyond the main compound were associated buildings of a standard type, including a brick caretakers lodge and a large, barn-like tool store. Most mobilisation centres have been the subject of subsequent alteration and/or reuse. As a short-lived and rare monument type, all mobilisation centres with surviving remains sufficient to give a clear impression of their original form and function are considered to be nationally important. The example at North Weald is in unusually good condition despite flooding and vandalism and graffiti.

The Gorge Bridge

Redoubt bridge.jpg

Views Of The Casemate..

Redoubt.jpg

Redoubt2.jpg

redoubt3.jpg

redoubt6.jpg

mono.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

The site also had a caretakers cottage and a shell and cartridge store. Both in total ruins, they have become a haunt for graffiti artists.I think their work somewhat gives a contrast to the stark dereliction of the buildings. There is rumour that as the site is listed it may be restored in the future. I would love to see this, but think the chances of it happening are as remote as being bitten by a daffodil.

The cottage remains..

cottage remains.jpg

The old shell and cartridge stores

exterior shell and cartridge store.jpg

Dereliction&graffiti.jpg

shell and cartridge store interior.jpg

Openwindow.jpg

roofline.jpg

outside loo.jpg

DSC_0080 - Copy.jpg

door view of toolstore.jpg

The whole site was sold to the Marconi Radio company, their base was at nearby Chelmsford Essex, the birth place of Radio. 750 acres of surrounding heathland were festooned with massive lattice masts and became one of Britains most important short wave radio stations. During WWII it was defended and boasts one of only a handful of Allens-Williams machine gun emplacements that are still to be found.

Allen-Williams turret.jpg

These housed a Bren gun originally and could rotate 360 degrees. Two were sited here. The radio station used the Redoubt as storage , added to, and modified the cottage and the shell and cartridge store. the station closed in 1982 and the huge masts dismantled. The heathland is littered with the huge concrete blocks that held the masts and their anchor guy points.

Everyone who gets in to the site is technically breaking the law JH, a property development company own the site now.(along with all the surrounding land) It is a listed structure and they cannot touch it, so it is 'safe'. But I suppose they are covering their backs with the 'keep out private property' signs as if anything happens to a visitor, then they cannot be sued if they have warned people off. ...health 'n' safety an all that eh?

You've captured its essence brilliantly Denis.

Sidenote - interesting that in the 1880s the threat was perceived to be France  and Russia, who both had become  allies by the outset of WW1. And in 1914 the official position (possibly not shared by insiders?) was that the Royal Navy was still the world's strongest, with Germany racing up fast.

On 31/12/2016 at 16:47, Denis said:

a property development company own the site now

Seems they're doing what many other "developers" have done before 'em, leave it alone until it becomes dangerously unsafe to the point where the council have no option but to allow demolition.

I'd love to come across a place like this, you've done this one proud :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Archived