Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

I think it was Nanny F who said...

Sorry but I can't remember the thread but I think it was Nanny who made the comment about today's youngsters may not know what coal is (or something along those lines).

And I thought well I know what I can take a quick picture of... then forgot!

So if a little late....

here is a picture of a lump of coal that has been in my family from the 1950's, it was given to my late Mother & Father as a wedding present and for many years just sat at the back of a shed. For now it sits at the side of our fire (gas not coal) but it really is one of those 'what do we do with it' items.

the 50 pence piece is just to give you some idea of the size, top picture can be viewed larger.

coal1.jpg

but it does have its uses - sorry but the cat is not real, bit of a story behind that too.

coal2_080.jpg

Wow! Yes it was me, and you have certainly rekindled some memories by posting this picture.

It's lovely that you have kept it for all these years.
When we go to Barmouth, there is a certain shop that sells ornaments carved out of coal. You could have something done like that, but I would imagine it would be pretty pricey. Otherwise, it looks as if the decision has been made for you.  :cat:

The cat looks perfect on it.

Colin, with this you have rekindled memories of (as a kid) being sent into the........Coal Hole.....( A very dark coal store) ...with a bucket to fetch coal.

Inside, once your eyes got used to the dark, you felt around for a large, heavy hammer, with which to break up large lumps like the one you feature here. Thinking back it could be a dangerous exercise, because very often splinters of coal would fly up into your face, very close to your eyes, there are times when Im glad that I wear specs.

What modern folk may not realise is that coal when stored like that has a very distinctive smell......also....quite often we might discover the fossilised impression of a fern a few million years old, we used to take these to school.

I bet too that none of you know what....SLACK ....is?

It is the tiny bits of coal including the dust left after lumps of coal have been broken up.......my mum used to make newspaper parcels of slack and damp tea leaves up, to help keep the range burning overnight.

There Now!......See what you've done?........Got me all nostalgic. ;-)

Thanks for the memories.

FUJI

I bet too that none of you know what....SLACK ....is? It is the tiny bits of coal including the dust left after lumps of coal have been broken up.......my mum used to make newspaper parcels of slack and damp tea leaves up, to help keep the range burning overnight.

My Gran used to do the same. She had a black lead great in the living room with an oven on one side.  She would bank up the fire as you say and put a stew in the oven to cook overnight. I had the job as a lad to black lead the grate on a Saturday with Zebrite Black Lead paste. I can still recall the smell now

I bet too that none of you know what....SLACK ....is?

FUJI

I remember stack, and coke, and we used to follow the coalman with a bucket and pick up the bits that were left. For all we have now and all we didn't have before, they were happy times, weren't they?

Archived